Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 second Delay when switching on.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Question 30 second Delay when switching on.

I have a Shuttle SN45 G2 System with a strange problem with boot up. When I press the power button to switch it on, there is a delay of about 30 seconds before anything happens, then the system then boots normally. I have had the system for nearly 2 years, and have only recently noticed the problem.

I am fairly sure there is no problem with the button itself, as it only ever takes one press to turn the system on. I have not opened up the system to investigate any further.

The spec, if it matters is, Barton XP2500 CPU, 2x512Mb Crucial Ram, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro GPU, 120Gb Hitachi HD. Windows 2000 (fully patched). I have not changed anything recently.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks
    Odd one that, theres clearly something amiss inside. I would check all the components and cables are seated properly.

If not it could be on its way out

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci
    I have a Shuttle SN45 G2 System with a strange problem with boot up. When I press the power button to switch it on, there is a delay of about 30 seconds before anything happens, then the system then boots normally. I have had the system for nearly 2 years, and have only recently noticed the problem.

I am fairly sure there is no problem with the button itself, as it only ever takes one press to turn the system on. I have not opened up the system to investigate any further.

The spec, if it matters is, Barton XP2500 CPU, 2x512Mb Crucial Ram, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro GPU, 120Gb Hitachi HD. Windows 2000 (fully patched). I have not changed anything recently.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had a similar problem?
    Perhaps it's doing the POST check (option in BIOS to disable) on memory (takes a bit of time) and for some reason doesn't show this.......
    Woohoo now Assistant Manager!

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic
    Perhaps it's doing the POST check (option in BIOS to disable) on memory (takes a bit of time) and for some reason doesn't show this.......
    I don't think so. During the 30 second wait none of the power lights or keyboard LEDs are on, and none of the system fans spin.

(That shuttle has smart fan control in the BIOS, normaly when it first powers up the fans spin like mad, and then slow down after a few secconds)

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    i have this problem too on my sn41g2 and as a result i juskeep it running 24/7 becouse if i shut it down then power up again it takes (what seems like) ages before the fans start spinning and lights come on,i was worried incase it was on its way out cos my little shuttle is very rare and theres not many that look like it,,ive spent a bomb over a couple of years making her look and perform beutifully so im realy worried about this prob.

mic.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by micovwar
    i have this problem too on my sn41g2 and as a result i juskeep it running 24/7 becouse if i shut it down then power up again it takes (what seems like) ages before the fans start spinning and lights come on,i was worried incase it was on its way out cos my little shuttle is very rare and theres not many that look like it,,ive spent a bomb over a couple of years making her look and perform beutifully so im realy worried about this prob.

mic.
    Interesting, could you tell me more.

How long since you first had the problem? Has it got any worse? (I am worried that it might be the first sign of problems, and other stuff, more serous things will go wrong later)

Also did you investigate in any way? I am considering swaping out the PSU, as I have a spare ATX psu that I could run outside the case for a while.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micovwar View Post

mic.
    I know i'm bringing up an old thread, but my shuttle has this problem, and it's had it for a couple of months now!

The delay can be anything between 1 minute to half an hour.

Interestingly, when I pull out the USB (both USB are connected to powered hubs) and/or the ethernet cable, the system will boot.

Is there something wrong with the power supply, or not enough wattage?

I'm running SN45G with standard 200W, 2500+@3200+ barton, 6800GT

I'm suspecting lack of watts, but I don't want to spend £50 on a SilentX 250W just to find out it's not

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Interesting about USB. It is not something I had tried, but it would explain why the system started playing up when it did. Unfortunately I can't easily test it on mine, as I have just recently gutted the system for a major upgrade. I will test again when I put it back together and post what happens.

You can test if it is the PSU by attaching a normal full size ATX one to the shuttle's motherboard and peripherals and running it with the case open.

Thanks
    I might try that actually, can't believe I didn't think about it... but atm I'm at stuck at uni, i'll try and persuade my housemate if I can borrow his for a quick trial.

I'ma bout to stick another HDD to replace the defunct floppy, but that'll probably make it worse if it's wattage related

p.s. I am surprised you have replied to this thread, as it was 2 years old since the previous post!

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I'm using a Creative Slix (rebadged Shuttle) as my Smoothwall box and have the same problem, I came to the conclusion it's the PSU as using a normal ATX one and it'll boot fine.

I'm after a cheap Shuttle PSU, but now that I've read this maybe i'll unplug the unneeded Floppy/CD drives
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    I am having a similar issue, and hope someone could help me isolate it. My first question is what does PSU stands for (power supply?)
    So with my system a SB51G I press the power button and wait between 20-90 seconds and the system starts up , but then it reboots itself as soon as it gets to starting the OS. The time varies, sometimes it reboots itself during the POST , and other times it will almost get to the login screen.

I thought it may be a faulty power switch so I replaced it and the issue remains.
    Please advise as this is a system my dad uses for work and downtime is tough for him.

Thanks
    Jess

Thanks
    PSU - power supply unit

How many devices do you have connected? what is your system configuration?

Think I might have to get a new PSU, atm it's running 200W... so I'm guessing the 250W SilentX is required... infact there is a 300W version but I cant find it in the UK

Thanks

Thanks
    OK, so I swapped the PSU out from another system I have and the issue remains. Also the system now boots right up, but that could be fluke. All fans are running, and the system does not reboot when in bios. Should I try a new HD with fresh install?

Thanks
    So which issue still remains? the delay?

What is the wattage of the PSU you fitted?

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by jnocerin View Post
    I am having a similar issue, and hope someone could help me isolate it. My first question is what does PSU stands for (power supply?)
    Yes. It is the box inside your PC that take the 230V AC from the mains, and provides various DC voltages (mostly between 12 and 3v) for the PC's internal components.

Quote Originally Posted by jnocerin View Post
    So with my system a SB51G I press the power button and wait between 20-90 seconds and the system starts up , but then it reboots itself as soon as it gets to starting the OS. The time varies, sometimes it reboots itself during the POST, and other times it will almost get to the login screen.

I thought it may be a faulty power switch so I replaced it and the issue remains.
    Please advise as this is a system my dad uses for work and downtime is tough for him.
    Sounds like you have a more serous issue. The problem that I had, and most of the other people this thread are having is a switch on delay. Once the system starts it runs normaly and is stable.

Your system is also crashing as it starts, which is much more serous. It could be a seriously faulty power supply, but it could also be the motherboard, the processor or the memory.

If your dad is using the PC as part of a business, and downtime is costing him real money, you should advise him to buy a (cheap) new system now. His time will be valuable, and a day's lost work will be worth much more than the cost of a cheap PC from Dell, or even PC world.

If the situation is less urgent, I would start by hooking up a normal ATX PSU to the shuttle's motherboard and seeing if that cures the problem. I would also check that the CPU is adequately cooled. (The heatsink should be warm to touch, but no hotter), and try swapping out memory modules to see if one is faulty. Having said that, spontaneous reboots are fairly hard to diagnose, so you will probably end up buy a fair few replacement components anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information