Thread: supercharger, prop pitch, magnetos & mixture

Thanks

supercharger, prop pitch, magnetos & mixture

hi im looking for some kind sir to give me a very brief explanation on the above. i just want to know how best to use them in IL2 i do understand the physics of them (mostly) but want to know from you guys how best you have discovered to use them.

any advice greatly appreciated.

thnx

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Right......ready ?

Mixture....100% is perfect for sea level and low level fighting
    Over 3000 metres (roughly) you'll HEAR the engine get smoother if you drop the mixture to 80%....and once you recognise the sound of an engine over fueling and losing power you'll know to drop mixture again at a higher altitude. If you forget to drop it the exhaust pipes will start to let out a black smoke which is unburned fuel.....you lose power AND stand out a mile
    Remember to raise it again low down or it'll be too lean and lose power.

Superchargers compress the air but rob the engine of a bit of power, so you raise them from Stage 1 to Stage 2 at about 2500 cos the drag on the engine is worth it for the denser air to the fuel/air mix. Once again....drop it back to stage one low down.

Prop Pitch......100% allows the engine to rev highest....its like 1st gear.....and frankly gets used most by miles.....going down to 95% and then 90% gets the propellor to bite into the air more, more "grab" or "attack" but bogs the engine down, and one ofsets the other...you'll need to play with it. I use it in dives to get speed up fast, and then raise it back to 100% fdor the climb.....gives muchos better boom and zoom potential

Magnetos.....no idea.....totally clueless.......I have avoided them cos I have more than enought to deal with now already

And as an aside.....at take off......apparently a higher fuel mix (120%) and a Supercharger Stage 2 is worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    A magneto is just a simple electrical generator which instead of creating a continuous current, just creates a high voltage pulse as a one off, ie for the purpose of starting an engine. It works like an electro-magnet in reverse, so the magnet creates a current in the surrounding coil, building up to a huge charge, simple engines like Lawnmowers still use them as they only need a one-off charge to start, unlike a modern car which needs a continuous current for other things.
    Last edited by Skii; 03-01-2004 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    but Skii....how do we USE them in IL2?

Is it simply for starting the engine.....? cos I use the I button for that

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Tally Ho
    Thanks
    perhaps if ure engine cuts out and u need to get it working quickly? just a guess tho...

Thanks
    Originally posted by Zak33
    but Skii....how do we USE them in IL2?

Is it simply for starting the engine.....? cos I use the I button for that
    Well thats just the thing Zak, tbh I don't think they play a part in complex engine management.. they SHOULD, but I don't think they do ..

Thanks
    stops the multi engined bombers going on fire a little bit if one of your engines conks out.. kills it dead so any fuel mucking about where it shouldn't won't catch on an electrical bit such as a spark plug. Turn em off, kill the engine dead and reduce the chances of it lighting up

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Tumble
    stops the multi engined bombers going on fire a little bit if one of your engines conks out.. kills it dead so any fuel mucking about where it shouldn't won't catch on an electrical bit such as a spark plug. Turn em off, kill the engine dead and reduce the chances of it lighting up
    many thanks mate

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Tumble is a monster mudmover (he knows bombers )

Thanks
    Magnetos are used as they're more reliable than alternators, with no moving parts. All modern propeller driven planes have two per engine. Why they're in the game, I have no idea, as being able to turn them on or off, apart from reducing the chance of engines fires, gives no advantage at all.

Best bet is to just leave 'em be and worry about the 109 up yer bum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Hat
    Thanks
    Taken from one of the readmes in the FB folder

2. Aircraft that require manual control for superchargers and fuel mixture. Difficulty settings “complex engine management” must be On.

Several aircraft in FB require performing additional functions when playing with Complex Engine Management option on. Many of the engines did not have automatic superchargers, thus they need to be adjusted manually. The supercharger stage is adjusted using Supercharger Next Stage and Supercharger Prev. Stage control keys.

I-153 M-62 and I-153P

When climbing, it is required to set the supercharger to stage 2 (Supercharger Next Stage) when passing 2200 meters. When going below 2200 m, one should return the supercharger back to stage 1 (Supercharger Prev. Stage).

In addition, fuel mix requires adjustment at altitudes above 4.0 km. At those altitudes, the engine carburetor is incapable of producing optimal mixture with low-density high altitude air. When the engines begins trailing smoke and suffer power loss or RPM instability, adjust the mix level (using Increase Mixture and Decrease Mixture control keys) until the engine returns to the regular output.

I-16 type 18 / 24

Sharing the same engine with the I-153 series, this plane requires the same operations.

La-5 (F, FN) and La-7

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 3500 meters, and to stage 2 above 3500 meters. Mixture adjustment is requires at altitudes above 5000 meters.

LaGG-3 (early series)

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2200 meters, and to stage 2 above 2200 meters. Mixture adjustment is requires at altitudes above 4000 meters.

LaGG-3(66 series) and LaGG-3IT

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2200 meters, and to stage 2 above 2200 meters. Mixture adjustment is requires at altitudes above 3000 meters.

Yak-9 and Variants (D, K, T)

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2000 meters, and to stage 2 above 2000 meters. Mixture adjustment is requires at altitudes above 3000 meters.

Yak (Other Models)

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2000 meters, and to stage 2 above 2000 meters. Mixture adjustment is requires at altitudes above 4000 meters.

Hurricane

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2800 meters, and to stage 2 above 2800 meters.

P-40M

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2200 meters, and to stage 2 above 2200 meters.

P-40E M-105 (Field mod.)

A Russian modification with the engine found on the LaGG-3 requires the same engine handling. The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2200 meters, and to stage 2 above 2200 meters.

Bf-109G-6/AS, Bf-109G-10/G-14 and Bf-109K-4

These aircraft are equipped with MW50 injection system. The system operates automatically, giving the engine additional power as you move the throttle control beyond the 100% mark. The system can be switched on and off (using the WEP control key), however, it may only be done when the engine is idle or running on lower throttle to prevent damage. Also, it should be switched off when it runs out of water-methanol mix as it can’t operate properly without external pressure and may lead to engine damage.

FW-190s

Mixture corrections may be required above 9000 meters.

FW-190D-9 (1945)

The plane is equipped with MW50 system, similar to the one installed on the Bf-109, and has the same restrictions.

FW-190F-8

The boost is effectiveness only bellow 1,000 meters. It was even prohibited to use over 1000 meters altitude.

He-111

The supercharger requires to be set to stage 1 when flying below 2800 meters, and to stage 2 above 2800 meters.

Ju-87

Thanks
    I thought prop pitch worked the other way round?

If you sit on the runway, with pitch at 100% you'll accelerate away, but if you wind it down to 0% you'll just sit there and the props will spin, without biting....

May be wrong there, will have to try it out when I get home...

Hat
    Thanks
    After getting some training from Hackett..

P40E

Most times (climbing gradually, looking around etc) Rad 4, 103% throttle, 95% prop pitch

In Shallow dives adjust throttle accortdingly and drop prop pitch to anywhere between 85 - 90%

In combat pursuit prop pitch 90%

In steep fast dives prop pitch 75-90%

In power climb prop pitch 100%

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Originally posted by [MA]DanglyBob
    nope...promise

thats why the dive in Hat's description works so well.......soon as you dive get a "higher gear" ie 80% ish....then when its climb time.....100% (lower gear)

Thanks
    Originally posted by [MA]DanglyBob

If you sit on the runway, with pitch at 100% you'll accelerate away, but if you wind it down to 0% you'll just sit there and the props will spin, without biting....

May be wrong there, will have to try it out when I get home...
    like if you try to pull away in fifth gear in yur car (or six if u have a nice car like me )

Thread Information