Thread: When does the luck run out?

Hat
    Thanks

When does the luck run out?

Im sitting at 9 missions done.. and sneaked that 3rd medal for the third time with 398 points.....

I just couldnt face flying the 10th mission yesterday..... I just "knew" that I wouldnt make it back alive.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of things can be influenced to state of mind and positive thinking and all that.. so I guess i'm gonna have to hold off until im feeling positive again D - otherwise I'll just prang the damn thing on take off.. or joo joo us all some migs against g2s deep in enemy territory

Registered+
    Thanks
    rofl u lucky snackey mofo your lucky last night that german by plane was spraying some lead at ya

Thanks
    You see some of these guys in VEF on a straight run of 50+ missions (no DISCOs) and think WTF?

I guess it's confidence combined with experience and skill.

I reckon it's tough for VVS because we are constantly being thrown into different plane types. But that's the challenge I enjoy . It does help though when you are in a plane type you trust. In a P-40, LaGG-3, LA-5, IL-2, or I-16 - I feel confident . I know the plane. I have no faith in a MiG in combat, and perhaps that means I'm 50% defeated already. The Yak-1 is my hexed aeroplane, I never seem to be able to land it safely in VEF unless I'm crash landing it in the field (what's that about? ).

Real life military pilots are a terribly superstitious lot. I guess you have to be living with that kind of danger. My Dad (who flew RAF and FRADU Navy between the 1950s and 1980s) used to have a lucky string vest which he always wore in the air . I guess it gives them the edge to have something to believe in beyond their own ability and aircraft.

'Make mine a Spitfire, Landlord!'

Thanks
    yeah but ok at some of those pilots with 50 +

some wont even venture into enemy territory, some hang about on the fringes, picking off lone and damaged planes.

and some resort to leaving as soon as they see a planeset they dont like.

I'm happy to lose my streak, if I get a yak vs G2 mission, but I must admit, once 5+ missions up, I do get more jittery and not so gung ho...

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Yeah, I noticed that some of the "leaders" on the score table haven't flown any missions since mission number 9000 or so, and certainly have sus. records.. no KIA's and only a couple of "Bailed" stats.. one doth smell a rat..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hat
    Thanks
    bah.. 11 missions and 450 points... thats when

Bailed over enemy territory in the 12th and got a MIA (

ah well... back to square one

Thanks
    unlucky, yessir....

I'm currently on 3 missions, 127 points...

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    Tis a sod when that happens best run now is 9 for 295 points then spanked it

Thanks
    I'll tell you when the luck runs out

It happens at around 40 missions done, when you seem to be progressing quite well in VEF. Everything seems fine and dandy, you narrowly miss the 300 points promotion but you stick at it. 'I'll get there sooner or later,' you say. Then, you are in a nice little dogfight when you spot a fleeing plane, which you chase and destroy. 'Friendly aircraft: destroyed' "Bugger, someones not gonna finish their recon mission " So you head off home to land your trust LaGG when you decide you are going to crash it on landing.
    Ah well, theres always next time. Except next time you decide to go on an attack mission in a 153. Not bad, you say. Well, throttle up, taking off, nice little veer to the right where you spank it into the runway. Thats gonna make a mess Still, its not the end of the world .

So we move onto another mission. You take an il2 as you can fly those better than the mig3's. Its better than the last one, you manage to take off ok, and you get to target really quickly. You start blasting at the tanks on the ground. Great, you've bagged one Lets get another. So you make your approach and let rip of those brs-132's and then suddenly, BOOM!! Theres some roadworks on the A132 near Buzinovka for the time being Quite unlucky old chap, you'll get better.

So, spurred on by Knoxeh's efforts in flying many missions on his own, you decide to give it a go with complete strangers. BIG mistake. You get people saying "Where the hell are you", "Wait for me, I'm hdg 270" (The target is 180 from the base). You don't go mad, you don't panic. You stay calm, you focus. So, with your 153 laden with rs-82's you start blasting away at the target area. This is fun You struggle to hit anything as the recoil on the 153's is unbelievable, so you leave your cannon firing longer. Then, as you know you've been crashing a lot, you pull up. Except you pull up too hard, and end up stalling it and spanking the thing into the ground

This concludes the show of luck running out. If you would like more, visit here

Ahhh, the life of a mudmover
    Last edited by luke313; 27-01-2004 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Bad luck dude, seriously bad luck

The only way i get away with flying missions solo is getting a plan and sticking to it, no matter what that stupid little bravado dude in my head says. If I'm on patrol i stay over the target i don't go to intercept i just climb, try my best to engage and if i end up with me against more than one human fighter i bug out and head for home as best i can because i know the dudes im with can't be relied upon to watch my six.

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    Wise words Knox m8. My plan when on my own is as intercept work out bombers course go 1000m above them and then try and intercept at a right angle, with any luck the 109s are all off ahead and I get a nice safe (but tough) 90 degree deflection shot, which I follow up with a loop below and behind then use the excess speed to come up and blast em, if there are 109s about i take 1 pass drop low and climb back past the target area and come back to the fray.

Thanks
    I think my misfortune could be down to my choice of planes. If I was a bit more confident with regards to killing airborne planes I would be less likely to veer towards the bombers at selection. And with the fighters being much much faster and most being more pilot-protected (Mig + LaGG exceptions) then I'll stand a much larger chance of rtb'ing alive. Maybe thats something I'll have to test out in the next few missions...

Thanks
    yeah, but then IL2s are built like B-17s, in that they can take silly amounts of damage and still fly....

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    ...not when they are lying across a road in several pieces

Thread Information