Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramdisks - anyone using them for Games??

Thanks

Re: Ramdisks - anyone using them for Games??

Quote Originally Posted by pauleden View Post
    I give 8 of my 16GB over to a RAMDISK and it's full of pagefile. Not to save writes on my SSD, but to save some space on it. Even when you're careful, it's easy to fill up an Intel 80GB drive.
    I REALLY hate to revive a dead thread, but I was browsing through this looking for info on RAM disks and saw this post. I had to speak up so others don't make this mistake. A pagefile is essentially a disk file for overflow of the data in RAM. Putting a pagefile on a RAM disk is costly, CPU cycle wise, and would cause a call to memory (due to lack of available RAM) to be written back into memory in the form of a RAM drive. If you have 16GB of RAM and a SSD, you would likely be best served by turning off the pagefile entirely and leaving the RAM available at 16GB.

Sorry again for bringing this up but I didn't want any random reader to follow in these footsteps. Not demeaning pauleden here, but you can get faster performance without this (although, as with all things RAM based, the observable differences may be small).

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Does anyone have and use more than 8GB on a Windows 7 machine?
    I have only once seen physical memory usage over 8GB on Windows 7, and I've related the story here previously - but on the principle that not everyone will remember: I was called into the office by one of the centre managers in the previous research unit I worked for. He'd just got a new machine and was trying out various activities on it that had been slow on his previous machine. He'd just done one with Task Manager opened and wanted to show me what happened when he sorted a large data file in SPSS.

Now, to be fair this is a file with > 1,000,000 records - we are talking very big datasets here - but I was amazed to watch the memory usage rocket upward to a peak of around 13.5GB of physical memory usage, dropping immediately the sort was completed. It certainly explained why the old machines (Some of which had as little as 2GB RAM) were so slow for some of the scripts we ran on them...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by s1xty7 View Post
    If you have 16GB of RAM and a SSD, you would likely be best served by turning off the pagefile entirely and leaving the RAM available at 16GB.
    Well no, you're best served by having a pagefile on the SSD and leaving the RAM alone. I agree with you that putting the pagefile on a RAM disk is particularly self-defeating however

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s1xty7 View Post
    I REALLY hate to revive a dead thread, but I was browsing through this looking for info on RAM disks and saw this post. I had to speak up so others don't make this mistake. A pagefile is essentially a disk file for overflow of the data in RAM. Putting a pagefile on a RAM disk is costly, CPU cycle wise, and would cause a call to memory (due to lack of available RAM) to be written back into memory in the form of a RAM drive. If you have 16GB of RAM and a SSD, you would likely be best served by turning off the pagefile entirely and leaving the RAM available at 16GB.

Sorry again for bringing this up but I didn't want any random reader to follow in these footsteps. Not demeaning pauleden here, but you can get faster performance without this (although, as with all things RAM based, the observable differences may be small).
    It's OK, it's not demeaning, because you're wrong. You should always have a pagefile. Where it goes isn't really relevant. The couple of CPU cycles caused by reading or writing to RAM instead of a drive is negligable, especially with modern multi core processors.

By way of an update, I don't actually do this any more anyway. Not because putting pagefile in memory is a bad idea, but because the SSD in question was quite small. It's since been replaced by a much bigger one and I can easily fit the pagefile and everything else onto the SSD.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Oswald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M4A77TD PRO
      • CPU:
      • AMD PHENOM II X4 955 @3.6
      • Memory:
      • 8GB KINGSTON 1600
      • Storage:
      • OCZ AGILITY & WD CAVIAR BLUE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SAPPHIRE 7870 OC
      • PSU:
      • ANTEC EARTHWATTS 500
      • Case:
      • ANTEC SONATA III
      • Operating System:
      • WIN 7 ULTIMATE 64BIT
      • Monitor(s):
      • PHILLIPS 37" LCD
      • Internet:
      • TELENET CABLE

I used to have a Ramdisk, but gave up on it. I also put my temp files on it and at times I had trouble downloading stuff from the internet because the R disc was too small. And at some point I wanted to remove it, but something went wrong and it didn't remove the disc, only the Ramdisk program. After that I kept getting a lot of errors. I had to reformat my computer, so now I'm not going back that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information