Thread: Moving from xbox gaming to PC gaming

Registered+
    Thanks

Moving from xbox gaming to PC gaming

I'm buying a new PC soon, with half decent specs capable of playing many games at max. But, what i was wondering was what kind of differences can i expect moving from Xbox gaming to PC gaming, is there a community online? Can i expect Better graphics? More fluent game play?
    Any personal experience or just general knowledge would be great!

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Re: Moving from xbox gaming to PC gaming

This is what u can expect from a decent spec quad core cpu and a ATI 7870ish card.

• 50+FPS on the latest games at native 1080p res with high/max details
    • More fluid gameplay due to higher fps
    • Mod support on some games like Arma 2 and Sims 3
    • Cheaper games. sometimes over half the price of the pc version(Dishonoured is now £15 on steam)
    • Freely customizable community(what i mean is u can use origin or steam instead of being bogged down on xbox live.)
    • better VOIP(can use mumble, teamspeak or even skype which all offer better VOIP quality then xbox live)
    • 10x more range of game libraries.
    • Can experience what next gen gaming will kind of be like(see BF3 running on a pc compared to console)
    • Generally a more mature community
    • Certain games are not on consoles(hard core racing sism liek rfactor 2 and MMO like WOW or GW2)

Thanks

^^ what he says. In short, the freedoms afforded by the 'open' platform (both HW & SW) mean a much greater variety and flexibility in what's available and possible.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Getting used to a mouse as primary control mechanism will probably be the biggest change. Soooo much more precise than a controller.

Than again a lot of PC games these days seem to be ported badly from Xbox360, so the controls on PC are a console-ised. for example Arkham City that I'm playing at the mo clearly is designed to be used with a gamepad - the whole button special move combo thing and your movement being limited in many ways to jumping from one target to the next,

Thanks

Adding to what Wasabi says above, the games aren't just designed with the console in mind, they specifically allow the 360 gamepad as a control method (some games don't even support other pads, or do a shoddy job of prompting you on which button to press). If you still have one around, it's worth looking in to setting it up for use on your PC. Try to "learn" mouse and keyboard for games where they add a little extra precision (FPS games especially), but you'll probably have a better time in a lot of third person games with the pad (case in point: Assassins Creed 3 which has terrible menus on the PC and a few minigame elements that play poorly - such as the lock-picking game which uses rumble)

Thanks
    • SmellyFingers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJawsX 2x2GB
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Momentus XT 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750 V2
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 220
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19 inch LG Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic

Well Mods are like the mobile app stores, plenty of them but mostly rubbish. Think the only ones i bother with now are Elder Scrolls mods...but that's just me.

PC exclusive tend to be poor games.

Consoles still have the best exclusive library.

Community just as immature.

Shed load of hackers.

However playing with uber graphics, nice and smooth, cheaper games on steam and better VoIP help to make it a platform everybody should consider for BF3 alone. I've always had a PC to play games on since i was a kid but it's only recently i had an excuse to upgrade my rig to play games. PC gaming's getting better and with all these cheaper games, it means i can buy something new to play and eat my KFC.

Guys above me mentioned the mouse mechanics for picking locks albeit different game but in elder scrolls it's just better. FPS games play easier because you can aim easier, almost like a handicap with the mouse.

Finally don't move from a platform to another that's stupid. I can understand why you may be bored with Xbox per se but you need as many platforms as possible to play as many games as possible. You don't wanna miss out on a darn thing! I made that mistake back in the day when kept i selling my N64 only to buy it again...

I'd recommend you go AMD/ ATI (7850) btw unless of course you can find Intel/ Nvidia parts at a similar price.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFingers View Post
    Well Mods are like the mobile app stores, plenty of them but mostly rubbish. Think the only ones i bother with now are Elder Scrolls mods...but that's just me.

I rather have mobile apps then no apps(which is better mate? no mods at all or a uge range of mods with a couple that are good?)

PC exclusive tend to be poor games.

Like Half life games? Arma games and not to mention the MMO games that make more money then the whole entire library a console has?

Consoles still have the best exclusive library.

Debatable. i have not bought a exclusive console game for years. last was uncharted games which is decent.

Community just as immature.

Shed load of hackers.
    I have hardly come across hackers and if u play with othe rlike minded people u wont discover many hackers. Also the PS3 version of COD has hackers

However playing with uber graphics, nice and smooth, cheaper games on steam and better VoIP help to make it a platform everybody should consider for BF3 alone. I've always had a PC to play games on since i was a kid but it's only recently i had an excuse to upgrade my rig to play games. PC gaming's getting better and with all these cheaper games, it means i can buy something new to play and eat my KFC.

Guys above me mentioned the mouse mechanics for picking locks albeit different game but in elder scrolls it's just better. FPS games play easier because you can aim easier, almost like a handicap with the mouse.

Finally don't move from a platform to another that's stupid. I can understand why you may be bored with Xbox per se but you need as many platforms as possible to play as many games as possible. You don't wanna miss out on a darn thing! I made that mistake back in the day when kept i selling my N64 only to buy it again...

I'd recommend you go AMD/ ATI (7850) btw unless of course you can find Intel/ Nvidia parts at a similar price.
    replied in bold

Thread Information