Thread: Game file compression utility (Improves load time and reduces disc space usage)

Ravens Nest

Game file compression utility (Improves load time and reduces disc space usage)

I've just stumbled upon this utility it seems really good, it compresses game files and then the games load quicker and they also takes up less space.

I found Control was taking a long time to load and also when you die (Which is often) and found this post on the forum below.(post 1010)
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/con...137471/page-21 (Thanks to Xcell Miguel)

I downloaded the program , you direct it to the game folder and press the compress button, I'm very impressed with it.

On Control it saved me nearly 14gb!

Also if you don't like it then it can decompress it back.

Here is the link to the file..

https://github.com/Freaky/Compactor
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 08-04-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Game file compression utility (Improves load time and reduces disc space usage)

This is a thing which has been done for Bethesda games by modders too - what is usually the culprit is the textures which are bloated.

Thanks

Re: Game file compression utility (Improves load time and reduces disc space usage)

Hmm interesting! I believe some games duplicate many files to make access times faster on mechanical hard drives - I remember Payday 2 got significantly smaller with an update doing away with this duplication to some degree.

Game download and install size has gotten simply ridiculous for some games now, to the point you can only fit a handful on a large SSD. It would seem especially wasteful if indeed lots of it is simply duplicated, and/or if lots of the space was for things like higher-resolution textures which may not be used on less powerful systems anyway.

One thing though - I wonder if interfering with game files could cause any problems with things like DRM or anti-cheat?

Edit: I understand it uses Windows' own utilities? I guess it shouldn't be an issue for the above then...

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    This is a thing which has been done for Bethesda games by modders too - what is usually the culprit is the textures which are bloated.
    Interesting whats the mod called if you can remember?

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Hmm interesting! I believe some games duplicate many files to make access times faster on mechanical hard drives - I remember Payday 2 got significantly smaller with an update doing away with this duplication to some degree.

Game download and install size has gotten simply ridiculous for some games now, to the point you can only fit a handful on a large SSD. It would seem especially wasteful if indeed lots of it is simply duplicated, and/or if lots of the space was for things like higher-resolution textures which may not be used on less powerful systems anyway.

One thing though - I wonder if interfering with game files could cause any problems with things like DRM or anti-cheat?

Edit: I understand it uses Windows' own utilities? I guess it shouldn't be an issue for the above then...
    I was a bit worried about DRM or other programs that check the file sizes, is a little worry..

On the PS5 they are looking at file duplication, as it uses an nvme SSD that has been highly customized they feel duplication is not needed as there new PS5 system is so much faster than mechanical and most SSD drives its almost instantaneous (in there words).

But this program just compresses files more doesnt remove any duplication though.

Thanks

As it's a Windows utility the reported file size is still the same, only the 'size on disk' attribute changes, so I would have thought that would be OK. I'm no expert on the matter though.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    I've just stumbled upon this utility it seems really good, it compresses game files and then the games load quicker and they also takes up less space.
    Windows can do on-the fly compression of whole drives if you want - right click the drive and go to properties, select 'Compress this drive to save disk space'. You can also compress the OS itself: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...top/compact-os

But I'm curious as to how it improves load time - you're having to decompress on the fly so I'd have thought it only really benefits very slow hard drives.

On the PS5 they are looking at file duplication, as it uses an nvme SSD that has been highly customized they feel duplication is not needed as there new PS5 system is so much faster than mechanical and most SSD drives its almost instantaneous (in there words).
    Old SSDs used to do de-dup and compression to save on writes. It wasn't needed on newer SSDs and seems to have been dropped these days.
    Last edited by kalniel; 08-04-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Ravens Nest

As it's a Windows utility the reported file size is still the same, only the 'size on disk' attribute changes, so I would have thought that would be OK. I'm no expert on the matter though.
    Hopefully your right there.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Windows can do on-the fly compression of whole drives if you want - right click the drive and go to properties, select 'Compress this drive to save disk space'. You can also compress the OS itself: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...top/compact-os

But I'm curious as to how it improves load time - you're having to decompress on the fly so I'd have thought it only really benefits very slow hard drives.

Old SSDs used to do de-dup and compression to save on writes. It wasn't needed on newer SSDs and seems to have been dropped these days.
    Yes i would have thought a HDD would have the best results with faster loading, most games an SSD is enough to take the loading screen pain away only on "Control" have i found its a slow load which does improve (a little) with compression but the size compression was what impressed me the most.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Interesting whats the mod called if you can remember?
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/978

There are a few other projects too IIRC,but it is worth checking them out.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/978

There are a few other projects too IIRC,but it is worth checking them out.
    Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Windows can do on-the fly compression of whole drives if you want - right click the drive and go to properties, select 'Compress this drive to save disk space'.
    This method uses Windows' built-in file compression but uses a more efficient compression algorithm added in Windows 10 than the default one you get by ticking the compression box.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...ression-2.html

Ravens Nest

This method uses Windows' built-in file compression but uses a more efficient compression algorithm added in Windows 10 than the default one you get by ticking the compression box.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...ression-2.html
    Sorry I took so long to reply to this, I didnt know the thread had been replied to, that was a very interesting read.

So the long and short of it is LZX compression is the best for making the files the smallest but takes longer to un-compress, good for archiving or people low on space on the HD or SSD.

Whereas Xpress8K is a good way to compress files smaller and not take too long to reload them, good if your compressing game folders.

Thanks again I will start using compactor set on Xpress8K from now on.

Thread Information