• Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Today is Hypothetical Day: thread 1

Right, its Saturday morning, so lets get brains in gear and play a little game.

Thread one:

Hypothetically speaking you are in a Hurricane Mk 2. Alt 3000 metres. Heading north, on your own. Your engine is cool, your ammo full and sufficient fuel.

You spot a 109 at 4000 metres about 3 km away to the east..out of your right window.

In one sensible sized paragraph, what do you do, on the presumption that he has also spotted you.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    What I'd do, is this (but it probably isn't the best thing to do).

Throttle up, rad 4/6, fina pitch, hit the boost plug, enter a climb. The aim here is to grap as much height as possible. Don't turn to face the 109, if he's spotted you, he'll be steaming at you and the distance will close before you have the height, instead turn away from him and continue to climb until you're at least at 4,500m, preferably 5,000m. During all of this, keep an eye on him - and watch to see if any of his mates arrive. If they do, or if you think he's going to be able to engage you before you have a height advantage, then bug out, turn the plane for home and enter a shallow dive for maximum speed + distance travelled.

I'm not sure how the performance of the Hurri ii compares to the 109 at altitudes above 4,000m. My experience of it though is that it makes for quite a nice high altitude fighter, so long as you are above the enemy to begin with. If lower down and in a turn fight it turns well under (I think) 350kph, and those barn door flaps can be used to good effect as a last resort.

edit: whoops, that's two paragraphs! Three if you count the first line

Large Member
    Thanks
    Four if count the edit
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    yamangman, what would you do?...remember dont change your mind just cos someone else says summit....
    I'd like Hat Dak or Luke to decide which is best as they inevitably do best online anyway.

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Large Member
    Thanks
    Well, i'd combine them all into one paragraph, even though it would be a little long, I think it would be succint enough.

Thanks
    I'd turn towards him and build up a lot of speed (400ish) by flying level or in a shallow dive. He'll probably dive into a headon or similar, and if he doesn't he'll be circling above you. If he is above you and circling then theres not a lot you can do in a Hurri. You'd have to either try to get away and then decide whether you want to climb and get above him or rtb, or try to follow him and hope he makes a mistake (stall etc).

If he engages you in a headon or whatever then you can make use of all that E and pull a nice loop after the pass - he may stall in an attempt to follow you and then you're in the driving seat turning onto his 6, and if he doesn't stall then you've slightly closed the E difference between you and him.

Of course, if I was in a hurri, I'd have rtb'd and hit refly into a LaGG/La/Yak/Spit

Large Member
    Thanks
    Ohhh, Hurri-109 thing, right.....

I not entirely sure, I don't think I would climb, if he has engaged me I think he would have a far superior energy advantage over me in the time it would take me to climb a kilometer and a half. By the time i'm at 4K he'd be on me and i'd still want height. I'd probably aim for speed and get him down to my height. It works perfectly in my head, but that's probably the only place.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    luckily for me I have thought of the same as Luke....turn toward him and build speed ...

however I'd be doing that to hope to pull him down to me. I cant climb with a 109.....not quite...Hurris do climb well at 230 kph with all the WEP on and prop pitch at 100 or 95 but not enough for this.

Id turn toward him, build speed in level flight so it was harder for him to just dive at me..the more he dives the more I'd push my nose under his, but when he's getting close (.6 ish) I'd start a turning climb , really wide....and hope to see him go under or past me very fast. If he's smart he'll climb straight back up.....might even hammer head me, but in a Hurri I can see pretty well in all directions so AS LONG as I dont lose sight I could try to get him to scrub his E advantage by tempting him down.

When ever he is not aiming at me from then on I'd be climbing but as soon as he seems to be turning back for an attack, drop flaps for a fast turn back to him, flaps back up and build speed at him.....I want over 300 kph ever time he comes at me so I can climb or dive or turn tight to avoid the inevitable boom n zoom....

Large Member
    Thanks
    ^^ What I said, but more detailed. I'd still fluff it up though heh.

Thread Information