Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Nvidia GTX 760 drop in price further?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: Will Nvidia GTX 760 drop in price further?

They've already had a price drop. Next one probably wont be until the GTX 860 (or whatever they end up calling it) is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by =assassin= View Post
    I'm a bit obsessive about power consumption, and although AMD/ATi current gen is fast enough, I just don't like their power consumption at all. Quite awful compared to NVidia, and that impacts on the card size too (a 760 card can be tiny - ASUS cards in particular). If you were to indirectly compare the faster 280X to a humble 760, you are looking at around 300watts + compared to 170watts +, which is a huuuge difference. Comparing the 280X to a 770 which is on par more so for performance, you are still looking at an 80watt difference. Either way you look at it, it's either more for you energy bill, more stress on PSU, or alot more heat for your system to deal with. A shame, as I'd like to continue with AMD/ATi, so I'll probably just hope they do better next generation instead, which could be ages away. My current 5850 is still just about okay tbh, but it'd be nice if there was a more economical alternative available right now. :/ *edit* those figures seem to be peak values I got from techpowerup, so extreme case I guess. Regardless, a 280X is just too big for my case at 28.5cm
    Quote Originally Posted by YoloSwag View Post
    I hear you. That's also one of the reasons I never got to buy an AMD card. Electricity is expensive from where I am - 2nd highest in Asia Baby . I was thinking you're from those countries where electricity is quite cheap The shortest 760 I saw was that mini from ASUS, but I'm telling you they're more expensive than that OC DC II they offer. MSI has something similar too but I think it's also expensive.

Here's one of the shortest I've seen so far http://www.inno3d.com/product/gtx760_hz2000s.html but it's somewhat hard to find.
    Not sure if serious:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...TX_760/25.html

That is measured at the PCI-E power connectors.

Moreover,the even lower power consumption Tahiti XTL is being released in newer R9 280X cards:

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/...p?storyid=8218

Honestly,unless you are playing 30+ hours a week for 52 weeks,how is going to make much of any difference?? Who can do that unless you are a student,or not working?? If you are in that situation worrying about your power bill why even bother with higher end cards?? Get a GT640 or HD7750 and a basic dual core and game on the most efficient 19" LED backlit monitor you can find.

To put it in context,if you had 100W higher power consumption,it would take 40 hours a week of gaming,for 52 weeks(meaning you never missed a day of gaming ever in 365 days),to barely break £25 extra in electricity costs. Yes,that means gaming is your social life for the entire year. Not even my most gaming mad mate would do those sort of hours for 52 weeks a year.

Air conditioning and heating cost far more money in energy costs.

I have a GTX660 and I still would buy an R9 280X any day over a GTX760 or a GTX770 and I use SFF PCs.

Moreover,get the GTX670 over a GTX760,as the latter uses aggressive Turbo to hit its rated performance.

The problem is it leads to problems with the reference cooler:

http://translate.google.com/translat...t%2Findex8.php

That is the ONLY review that bothered to do extended testing on a GTX760.

It is worth emphasizing that a typical benchmark behavior, immediately after starting the game in all situations almost always has a GPU clock speed of 1137 MHz result. After 15 minutes in a static scene is an entirely different value is emerging, which is on average only in the range of about 1000 MHz and this at 21 ° C room temperature. Thus we see an agent that acts still below the NVIDIA naming of 1032 MHz.

The speed of the fan behavior is interpreted here to a maximum noise level of approximately 2190 revolutions per minute. After that then arise mostly a further clock subsidence, which are also observed in the game so. The regular course can cause a very different behavior than a static benchmark scene, as used in the present case. The example, we have here demonstrated.

That is in an open air test rig. Now consider you getting a bog standard card plonked in your case,which means much higher ambient temperatures.

If the reference cooler can barely keep up,the tiny cooler on the GTX760 Mini will encounter the same problems. Its made for size and not maximum cooling efficiency.

You need to consider that the new generation GPU boosting tech is VERY cooler and condition dependent. Reviews are testing review samples in ideal situations.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-12-2013 at 08:27 AM.

3. Received thanks from:

AETAaAS (05-12-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • halabaloola's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z87x ud3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Hyperx Red 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Black 1TB, Kingston Hyper 120 ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Cossair 550w Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4 Define
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media with Ethernet cable

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

Honestly,unless you are playing 30+ hours a week for 52 weeks,how is going to make much of any difference?? Who can do that unless you are a student,or not working?? If you are in that situation worrying about your power bill why even bother with higher end cards?? Get a GT640 or HD7750 and a basic dual core and game on the most efficient 19" LED backlit monitor you can find.

To put it in context,if you had 100W higher power consumption,it would take 40 hours a week of gaming,for 52 weeks(meaning you never missed a day of gaming ever in 365 days),to barely break £25 extra in electricity costs.
    Thanks, I hadn't really put it in as much context as that. The 280x is a good buy. Comes with 3gb, which is always good to have.

Thanks
    • YoloSwag's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i3-2100@3.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 4GB 1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD Caviar Blue 500GB + Green 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Geforce GTX 660 2GB SC Signature 2
      • PSU:
      • FSP Raider 650W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake V3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x2301

Not sure if serious...Honestly,unless you are playing 30+ hours a week for 52 weeks,how is going to make much of any difference?? Who can do that unless you are a student,or not working?? If you are in that situation worrying about your power bill why even bother with higher end cards?? Get a GT640 or HD7750 and a basic dual core and game on the most efficient 19" LED backlit monitor you can find.

To put it in context,if you had 100W higher power consumption,it would take 40 hours a week of gaming,for 52 weeks(meaning you never missed a day of gaming ever in 365 days),to barely break £25 extra in electricity costs. Yes,that means gaming is your social life for the entire year. Not even my most gaming mad mate would do those sort of hours for 52 weeks a year.
    Well before you rant out, let me tell you that not everyone lives in the same country where electricity charges are quite low compared to others. You can say whatever you want if you live in Berlin. But I'm guessing you're not from there. I happen to be living in the country that ranked 5th highest in the world for charge per kilowatt hour.

I guess you better do more research next time

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Well before you rant out, let me tell you that not everyone lives in the same country where electricity charges are quite low compared to others. You can say whatever you want if you live in Berlin. But I'm guessing you're not from there. I happen to be living in the country that ranked 5th highest in the world for charge per kilowatt hour.

I guess you better try to do any research next time. Also,you might want to take something for those excessive panic attacks about power consumption. Not using your PC might help!!

Quote Originally Posted by halabaloola View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't really put it in as much context as that. The 280x is a good buy. Comes with 3gb, which is always good to have.
    It is. Look at the TPU performance/watt ratings for the R9 280X:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/R9_280...fwatt_1920.gif

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_28...fwatt_1920.gif

Yay,the GTX760 is 4% to 5% more efficient.

Although with the cryptocurrency craze the R9 280X seems to be selling out massively in the US and UK and selling for more secondhand than new!! There seems to be shortages of the them as a result,meaning it is easier to get a GTX770 now.

Also,given the choice between a GTX670 and a GTX760,the former is a better bet at a similar price IMHO.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 06-12-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks
    • YoloSwag's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i3-2100@3.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 4GB 1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD Caviar Blue 500GB + Green 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Geforce GTX 660 2GB SC Signature 2
      • PSU:
      • FSP Raider 650W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake V3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x2301

I guess you better try to do any research next time. Also,you might want to take something for those excessive panic attacks about power consumption. Not using your PC might help!!
    Ooooh, looks like someone's a little tense here. It's kiddie time eh? So immature. Arguments with you are now pointless Pigeons and chess man, pigeons and chess

And I said that the R9 280X was a good buy, it's just the power consumption that's a little big compared to the GTX 760

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I hear you. That's also one of the reasons I never got to buy an AMD card.

Ooooh, looks like someone's a little tense here. It's kiddie time eh? So immature. Arguments with you are now pointless Pigeons and chess man, pigeons and chess

And I said that the R9 280X was a good buy, it's just the power consumption that's a little big compared to the GTX 760
    You accuse others of ranting but go on about power consumption with nothing to back it up. Funny since I own a Nvidia card ATM(GTX660 and a Xeon E3 1220 in a mini-ITX rig as all my main rigs have been SFF since 2005)but it seems you are very sensitive about criticism of the GTX760.

It could be that all you do play games a lot ,like 35+ hours a week,as you have loads of free time to do that so maybe I forget that,seeing the 1000s of hours some people spend on single games. It makes me think how people can fit it in having a full time job or without going mad?? Beats me!

You miss this:

http://translate.google.com/translat...t%2Findex8.php

The GTX760 after 15 minutes massively throttles,meaning you need a hefty cooler for it. But of course you ignore all that,since you are so determined to get a GTX760,that you don't want any criticism of it,just like some person waiting for christmas.

It makes me think what you were owning before the GTX600 series,as the GTX400 and GTX500 series were often much worse in power consumption than the HD5000 and HD6000 series.

Edit!!

Actually I had a look at average energy costs:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williamp...est-in-europe/

So 18.1 cents per KWH in London and 28.5 cents in Berlin.

So lets do the 40 hour average again:
    1.)4 hours each weekday
    2.)10 hours each day of the weekend
    3.)52 weeks of the year

TPU measures 43W to 47W difference,with the GTX760 they tested and the R9 280X cards they tested.

Lets say 50W to be fair.

So,over 52 weeks,that would equate to 29 Euro a year extra,or just under 2.5 Euro a month.

At 20 hours a week,that would 14.5 Euro or just under 1.25 Euro a month.

If you take a month off and/or don't game every day it is even less.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 06-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.

9. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (07-12-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    They've already had a price drop. Next one probably wont be until the GTX 860 (or whatever they end up calling it) is out.
    It's been quite some time since I posted this thread and it the 760 still hasn't price dropped. It was £200 then and it's £200. Also, the 670 is sadly no longer available for £160 any more and so it is not right to compare the 760 with it.
    As everybody is saying, the R9 280X is the best bang for the buck right now, available at just ~£220. However, I'm personally waiting for AMD to release a vanilla R9 280 as a 7950 rebrand as those seem to overclock to almost 7970 levels. If this becomes available for ~£180, I will be sold (760 > 7950 @ stock but 7950 > 760 @ OC'ed).

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Cat, that is a seriously interesting article you've dug up. That had passed me by entirely, I've been out of GPU shopping for so long I hadn't picked up on NVidia Boost, or just how badly that can impact on what you'll really see them run at while gaming. I am even more sold on an AMD card when then R9 customs come out. And this from an NVidia user for the past 13 years!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Cat, that is a seriously interesting article you've dug up. That had passed me by entirely, I've been out of GPU shopping for so long I hadn't picked up on NVidia Boost, or just how badly that can impact on what you'll really see them run at while gaming. I am even more sold on an AMD card when then R9 customs come out. And this from an NVidia user for the past 13 years!
    This is why you need to get custom cooled cards TBH!

Even the Geforce Titan,which had a better than average stock cooler,had some big issues too:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...1056659%2F4%2F
    http://translate.googleusercontent.c...vIbm28gehqGogg

GPU Boost 2 has issues.

GPU Boost 1 also had issues too as reference cooler GTX660TI cards downclocked over time too. The cards under the R9 290 series use a defined boost of between 50MHZ to 100MHZ,which means performance is more consistent. However,the Kepler cards have only a minimum defined boost range with no upper limit(it is literally auto overclocking). The R9 290 series have a defined upper limit(around 1GHZ IIRC),although the boost range from stock clock is like 200MHZ to 250MHZ which is large,and why under quiet mode you can see variation(Nvidia is the one pushing this BTW). However,under uber mode there are less issues from what I see.

Whenever I have had reference cards with blower coolers,I have manually set the fan to a higher speed.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 07-12-2013 at 03:54 PM.

13. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (07-12-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information