Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: * Star Citizen *

ZaO

Re: * Star Citizen *

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I think part of the problem is the seriousness of the players, rather than the games - Based on their 'woots' and victorious rants of how awesome they are, too many think ganking lil' ol' me qualifies them as bona fide veteran SAS troopers, or something!!
    Yeh I know what you mean. We have an insanely nerdy player base haha.... But what do you expect from one of the first few, real attempts at a space sim since the 90s!? I do cringe when I see some of the things they complain about. Or some of the questions that get asked on 10 for the chairman. They're caring about such ridiculous little details. These are the kind of guys that actually get properly aroused by such things, I'm sure...

Edit: Thought you might like this too. He makes some good points! https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...ics-and-why/p1
    Last edited by ZaO; 06-06-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

There's a new patch weighing in at around 2.3gb. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...izen-Patch-121
    Last edited by outwar6010; 06-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    But what do you expect from one of the first few, real attempts at a space sim since the 90s!?
    I was talking about online gamers/players in general, actually!
    That particular example was a kid playing Battlefield 3, I believe.

I do cringe when I see some of the things they complain about. Or some of the questions that get asked on 10 for the chairman. They're caring about such ridiculous little details. These are the kind of guys that actually get properly aroused by such things, I'm sure...
    I think a lot of it is people wanting something, anything, to geek out about. They want a massive SC fix each time they log on.
    Also, they forget that this was funded so the Devs could make the game they wanted without the external influences and pressures of a publisher, that thinks they should get a say in something because they hold the purse strings, regardless of whether they know aught about gaming or not.
    That is the long and short of it, but backers similarly think that donating money into this somehow entitles them to an actual say, rather than their little-voice opinions *possibly* being taken into account on grand-scale matters. They're donations, not investments or shares.

Edit: Thought you might like this too. He makes some good points! https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...ics-and-why/p1
    I do indeed!

In 'what not to do' #2, he mentions jousting and Tokyo-drifting. A mix of those two and a few other tricks is the main way you win a fight in Freelancer.
    #3 was also interesting - I've taken over an hour chasing down a CapShip in my own, alternating between Warp Speed and 25m/s, covering almost 300km and only winning through tactics. It was like a game of chess and was a very cool battle, possibly my favourite space battle I ever flew in... but I'd not want to do that all the time!!

So is all this Newtonian stuff simply Newton's three laws of motion, applied to my spaceship... or is there more to it?

ZaO

I think a lot of it is people wanting something, anything, to geek out about. They want a massive SC fix each time they log on.
    Also, they forget that this was funded so the Devs could make the game they wanted without the external influences and pressures of a publisher, that thinks they should get a say in something because they hold the purse strings, regardless of whether they know aught about gaming or not.
    That is the long and short of it, but backers similarly think that donating money into this somehow entitles them to an actual say, rather than their little-voice opinions *possibly* being taken into account on grand-scale matters. They're donations, not investments or shares.

I do indeed!

In 'what not to do' #2, he mentions jousting and Tokyo-drifting. A mix of those two and a few other tricks is the main way you win a fight in Freelancer.
    #3 was also interesting - I've taken over an hour chasing down a CapShip in my own, alternating between Warp Speed and 25m/s, covering almost 300km and only winning through tactics. It was like a game of chess and was a very cool battle, possibly my favourite space battle I ever flew in... but I'd not want to do that all the time!!

So is all this Newtonian stuff simply Newton's three laws of motion, applied to my spaceship... or is there more to it?
    there is a thread on rsi about this kind of thing. i couldn't find it, otherwise i'd have linked it. it was yet another thread with a poll! but it was actually kinda interesting. the idea was to gather info on whether people thought they were pre-ordering a game, backing/funding a game, or were an investor that was entitled to have influence over the game. hopefully i can find that thread again. i'm quite interested to see the results of the poll! but one of the things that i've always liked, is that i get the impression they're just going to make the game they want. sure, the community will influence the game, as they should. but i believe cr will make sure he doesn't stray far from his vision. i'm completely for him doing that. and the amount of money he has received so far should tell him to stick to his guns on that

there's not much point in me trying to explain about the newtonian physics thing. i think i only even heard of it because i played a bit of evochron mercenary. have a look at some of threads about the game's flight mechanics in the ac forum. there are some pretty clued up people discussing things over there https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...rena-commander

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Has anyone in this forum made a star citizen organisation thing?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

i get the impression they're just going to make the game they want.
    That is the only option.
    The whole Kickstarter thing stated quite blatantly that it was about cutting out the publishers, investors and anyone else who thinks having a stake in the game means having a say in how it is made. That would include everyone else, which is why these are 'donations' and 'pledges'. You pay money so the Devs can dev what they want, how they want, when they want, without being badgered by impatient purse-string holders.

The community opinions will be taken into account, but the core vision of the game will likely remain unchanged for the most part. They probably have a threshold count of opposers, perhaps a percentage of the community, where if more people than that object to something only then will it be up for alteration.

I'll check that thread when I get home (cannot access from work, here), but I think I get it. I just find it very laggy and unresponsive so far.

ZaO

That is the only option.
    The whole Kickstarter thing stated quite blatantly that it was about cutting out the publishers, investors and anyone else who thinks having a stake in the game means having a say in how it is made. That would include everyone else, which is why these are 'donations' and 'pledges'. You pay money so the Devs can dev what they want, how they want, when they want, without being badgered by impatient purse-string holders.

The community opinions will be taken into account, but the core vision of the game will likely remain unchanged for the most part. They probably have a threshold count of opposers, perhaps a percentage of the community, where if more people than that object to something only then will it be up for alteration.

I'll check that thread when I get home (cannot access from work, here), but I think I get it. I just find it very laggy and unresponsive so far.
    yeh i think you're probably right. good thing that. but there's clearly a lot of people who missed the point of doing things this way haha...

anyways. i'm just going to copy and past one of my own posts from another forum here. it's my thoughts on the flight controls after playing a couple hours with the joystick the other night:

After playing with the joystick on default settings. I hope they do change the flight model a bit. Though it's a lot harder to stay on target when using an atmospheric flight style (rolling+pitching to turn. with yaw just being for small adjustments). It is way more fun and skilled that way. I think it'd be better for gameplay to have it focused on that style. I don't care if that's more realistic or not. The whole yawing thing in it's current state just makes you move like a turret. There's just something that's so un-fun about that. But since it's the superior way to aim, that's what everyone will be doing unless they change it. I'm not digging the input lag either. Again, that might be more realistic. But it doesn't make the game much fun.

These are just my opinions of course. But from reading the AC forum a fair bit since its launch, I think there are a lot of others who feel this way. Or at least a lot of others making it known in comparison to those who are happy with the current model and not saying anything. I do feel hopeful that they will change it though. I forget the thing that Chris says. Is it that he wants this to be "The best damn space sim ever", or "The best damn space game ever"?

Just stumbled upon this post from one of the devs. Interesting
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...omment_2722695

A small quote from it:

"The current state of control is not what it will be. Over the past week, I have been refining the response to controller inputs to make the game easier to control without sacrificing realism. I personally cannot play the game as it was released. We had to release it to get the ball rolling, but I'm working on the fix to a lot of these issues as we speak. In fact, I should be working on that instead of reading and responding to this thread."

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Sounds good, then.
    I'm not against the concept of realism... but you'd think 900 years in the future would see us in ships that could spin on a dime and pull off all manner of tight dogfight manoeuvres just like an atmo-flight fighter can today... especially when the NPCs can do things like fly *right through* those giant mining laser things when I can't get within 50 feet without blowing up!

Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to getting out there, bumming around in space and hooning it up in a freighter or summat, maybe get myself a little hoolie-ship and raise a touch of hell on a backwater planet somewhere!

ZaO

Sounds good, then.
    I'm not against the concept of realism... but you'd think 900 years in the future would see us in ships that could spin on a dime and pull off all manner of tight dogfight manoeuvres just like an atmo-flight fighter can today... especially when the NPCs can do things like fly *right through* those giant mining laser things when I can't get within 50 feet without blowing up!

Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to getting out there, bumming around in space and hooning it up in a freighter or summat, maybe get myself a little hoolie-ship and raise a touch of hell on a backwater planet somewhere!
    yeh i think we'll be alright with this game in the end i am seriously considering buying elite dangerous to play in the meantime though. i might just wait for the beta to finish, then buy the full game. i'm trying not to do too much of this early access stuff. i seem to be playing more unfinished and broken games, voluntarily these days. i think it's a bad habbit! then again, "finished" games are broken more often than not!

any idea if elite dangerous will be completely focused on flying, or will it have some first/third person type stuff like sc is going to have? that was one of the big things that drew me towards sc. i love that we're not just going to be restricted to flying and trade menus i know i could look this up myself. but thought i'd ask someone in the know about ed

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

any idea if elite dangerous will be completely focused on flying, or will it have some first/third person type stuff like sc is going to have? that was one of the big things that drew me towards sc. i love that we're not just going to be restricted to flying and trade menus
    That's one of the things I hate about SC so far - for the same budget you are going to get a much nicer space flight game if you concentrate on space flight, not first person stuff which is expensive and notoriously hard to get right. Leave that to the shooters IMHO. So hopefully ED will stick to things Elite.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

any idea if elite dangerous will be completely focused on flying, or will it have some first/third person type stuff like sc is going to have? that was one of the big things that drew me towards sc. i love that we're not just going to be restricted to flying and trade menus i know i could look this up myself. but thought i'd ask someone in the know about ed
    I wouldn't exactly say I'm in the know, as such... I never played the original Elite (the tape always failed to load, right at the sodding end!) or the spin-offs.
    I've had a bash at the first Alpha release and found it very solidly focussed on the gameplay/spaceflight aspect. That's about it. I won't be buying it until it's ready, as I want to be blown away.

SC is about giving you everything in the universe it possibly can, whereas Elite is focussed on doing what the original did and just delivering the absolute best gameplay in creation.

AFAIK, you will be able to land on planets. But for the most part, it will be a very solid spaceflight-centric game. It will take months top get anywhere near even Dangerous, never mind actually being Elite.
    There is an online multiplayer aspect too, though again I purposely haven't been reading too much about that myself.
    I'm sure a five-minute Google will be your friend, though

Either way, I'm already paid up on SC and, on the strength of what I've seen so far, I most certainly WILL be buying Elite: Dangerous!!

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    That's one of the things I hate about SC so far - for the same budget you are going to get a much nicer space flight game if you concentrate on space flight, not first person stuff which is expensive and notoriously hard to get right. Leave that to the shooters IMHO. So hopefully ED will stick to things Elite.
    ah i think we might've talked about this before in this thread the cry engine is already setup for first person infantry and first/third person vehicular combat. i'm not a big fan of the way it does it. but it's really not bad! i don't think they'll have to modify a lot with that. i know you're not digging the idea. but i am definitely happy to have that in addition to the flying i hate just being restricted to flying ships all the time in these type of games..

I wouldn't exactly say I'm in the know, as such... I never played the original Elite (the tape always failed to load, right at the sodding end!) or the spin-offs.
    I've had a bash at the first Alpha release and found it very solidly focussed on the gameplay/spaceflight aspect. That's about it. I won't be buying it until it's ready, as I want to be blown away.

SC is about giving you everything in the universe it possibly can, whereas Elite is focussed on doing what the original did and just delivering the absolute best gameplay in creation.

AFAIK, you will be able to land on planets. But for the most part, it will be a very solid spaceflight-centric game. It will take months top get anywhere near even Dangerous, never mind actually being Elite.
    There is an online multiplayer aspect too, though again I purposely haven't been reading too much about that myself.
    I'm sure a five-minute Google will be your friend, though

Either way, I'm already paid up on SC and, on the strength of what I've seen so far, I most certainly WILL be buying Elite: Dangerous!!
    yeh i really should do some searching haha. i will in a minute! i'll be keeping an eye on elite anyway. i'm sure that's gonna be out way in advance of sc. and evochron mercenary (as cool as it is for an indie game) just doesn't keep my attention enough.

edit: ok. just read this on the elite dangerous site: "We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add the ability to leave the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own."

so that doesn't sound like it has the potential to be quite as full featured as sc's goal. but who knows!

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

i hate just being restricted to flying ships all the time in these type of games.
    One of the biggest drawbacks in most of them.
    I'd have loved Freelancer even more if they'd included that feature.

We also want to add the ability to leave the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own.
    It's starting to sound more like SC, actually.
    However, Chris Roberts has always been quite a cinematic fellow and with all the PBR stuff I think SC will be the vastly prettier game, while ED ends up with a much tighter focus on enjoyable gameplay. Braben seems to prefer keeping it simple in order to make it effective.

But again, it's not really that much of a concern if you buy both games!

ZaO

One of the biggest drawbacks in most of them.
    I'd have loved Freelancer even more if they'd included that feature.

It's starting to sound more like SC, actually.
    However, Chris Roberts has always been quite a cinematic fellow and with all the PBR stuff I think SC will be the vastly prettier game, while ED ends up with a much tighter focus on enjoyable gameplay. Braben seems to prefer keeping it simple in order to make it effective.

But again, it's not really that much of a concern if you buy both games!
    yeh right. exactly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erudito87 View Post
    Has anyone in this forum made a star citizen organisation thing?
    I would like to know this too. Clan Hexus maybe?

Thanks
    • RT-XD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HM77??
      • CPU:
      • i7 3740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 500Gb Hitachi 7200rpm + 32Gb SSD mSATA cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 680m
      • PSU:
      • A battery
      • Case:
      • M17xR4 case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Laptop Monitor + BenQ 21" 1080p Monitor

I was a little surprised you had to get into these new given trainer ships to actually run the simulation. I thought the idea was that you get into your own ship and then start the simulation?

Or is this something that will be implemented later on?

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information