Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Fighters Review on HEXUS.net

Thanks
    Mondo, hi and welcome to the forums.

I'll adress each of your points in turn, if that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mondogenerator
    Hi..my first post here but after reading that review I feel I need to. That review is terrible.
    I'm sorry you don't like the review, but you are entirely entitled to your own opinion and the review is there to help you make up your own mind, not do your choosing for you. I appreciate that you've taken the time to post in here to discuss the review.

Its not objective and it reviews a sim like a game. Things like balance?!?! Sims don't have balance, there a take on real life. WW2 wasn't balance so neither should a sim based on WW2 combat be.
    But it IS a game! I drive 40 minutes to work everyday but I don't see anyone publishing a 'drive to work' simulator. Why? Becuase it isn't fun and it'd be pointless trying to sell something to people that isn't enjoyable. WW2 wasn't balanced, you're right, but why bother making flyable planes for the Axis sides at all if the game is weighted so heavily that they will always lose becuase that is 'historically correct'? Taking an objective view of anything means ditching any pre-conceptions and just seeing what is there. Reviewing the game from the stance that it is a hardcore sim is incorrect as the options and functions within the game clearly show that not to be the case.

When writing a review its best to think of what the product your reviewing is trying to achieve, not what you want it to acheive or what your expected it to achieve. PF, like Il2, IL2:FB and Aces is a sim not a game.
    And where in the review have I said I had any pre-conceptions, othaer than my experience in FB+AEP? Again, PF IS a game. If it was a pure hardcore sim, I would have reviewed it differently, but with all the options such as infinite ammo, invulnerability, time skip, external views, no-cockpit, icons and padlock, you can't say that this is a hardcore sim, so it has to be a game.

Forgoes fun for authenticity? Its swings and roundabouts, one mans chalk is anothers cheese. Its a sim, people who play this want authenticity. They find that fun. If you don't find this fun then becauses its authentic then put that as a pro cause thats exactly what 1C:Maddox strives to acheive!
    So if I'm so wrong here, why are the SimHQ and UbiForums starting to fill up with posts complaining that missions are too long and not enjoyable. I think you are looking at this as a game for hardcore sim enthusiasts only. That's fair enough, it can be played that way. But the game has a wider appeal than that and is tailored to be all things to everyone and as such, it falls far short of what has gone before in the form of FB+AEP. And the majority of people who play this DO want authenticity ,yes, but at the expense of a reasonable product out of the box? No.

"Maps too large" Im sure the WW2 aviators would agree there but again, people who play this want authenticity, the immersion factor, 100% accurate maps. If you want to play the battle of Midway thats balanced and on the small side and not authentic go play BF1942!
    And again we come back to whether or not it is enjoyable to fly for 40 minutes before anything happens. Or if its enjoyable to use 8x speed and watch your autopilot get confused and crash you in the sea. Or if its enjoyable to watch a digital counter on a black screen and hope the game drops you out of time skip properly. It seems that you aren't aware, or don't care, that this game has been written not just for hardcore prop sim fans, but written to appeal to a mass market. If that's your point, and you don't like a review of a game written for the masses, then I think that you should take it up with Ubi and 1C Maddox and ask them to strip out all the stuff that makes the game more accessible to the casual and first time player who doesn't want to spend three weeks learning every keypress and doesn't want, or have the time, to spend over an hour flying over the ocean doing nothing before returning to base.

Bugs? I agree theres a few but apart from a couple of campaigns which are not fixed I've not found anything that stops me playing this. I bought BF1942, UT2k3, Soldner, BF:V, GTA3 all when they came and they were actually unplayable due to bugs. PF is not unplayable, theres not even that many bugs. Mostly trivial things, not crashes.Unplayable careers. Theres 1 career that could be considered unplayable but I've so far completed a Royal Navy career and a USN career. There not unplayable. You say there boring. Take a step back and put this in perspective. People who play this want to recreate these great battles 100% accuratly.
    Ok, try the Beaufighter career. Apparently at around mission 7, your flight doesn't crash into the ground. But if you play on full-real, as a hardcore simmer would do, you'll never get to mission 7 as you can't complete the missions with one plane. That's pretty unplayable, isn't it? Or take the long flight times of any of the single player missions (except the US Pearl Harbour ones), or indeed, any of the campaign modes. Those hugely long flight times severely detract from the gameplay, forcing you to wonder if its worth it. And if a game is making it unenjoyable to play, surely that means its unplayable?

If you find it boring its clear that a simulator is not for you. Maybe someone who likes sim should have reviewed this.
    Ok, but this is a game, not a sim. And as a long time player of IL2, IL2:FB +AEP, member of an online squadron AND moderator of an IL2 forum, I think I'm qualified to make reasoned judgements on the game.

"Career mode shot to hell" Whats that supposed to mean?
    That the career mode isn't worth the bother, it's either bugged or too tedious to deserve any time. Having to hit timeskip and then go and make a cup of tea on each flight isn't my idea of a good time, and many, many others agree.

"Tedious amount of flying before anything happens"
    Its clear your not a sim guy, some people love this. PF wants to recreate the Pacific war in the air, It does this admirably.
    But I am a 'sim guy'. But I'm also a guy who takes an objective view of what this game gives to those who play it, not someone who believes that this is a hardcore sim and anyone who doesn't want 100% realism should go elsewhere. Now, unfortunately for your argument, it would appear that 1C Maddox feels the same as me in that this game should appeal to a broad spectrum of flyers, otherwise why did they include all those options to make it easier to fly? PF does recreate the Pacific War admirably, no doubt about it, but at the expense of being enjoyable to play.

You shouldn't mark it down for a feature which makes it authentic and is deliberate cause you don't like it!
    Why not? You're saying that even if I feel a game is terrible I should mark it highly? Or should I mark a game higher because it has the correct number of rivets down a Corsairs wing, even though the AI is progammed so badly that a Zero stays with a Corsair in a vertical power dive?

I suggest before making any more reviews you take step back and look at what the game/sim wants to acheive, what its goals are. Large maps and long flight times are part of the the Pacific war. How is that a bad thing given its trying to be authentic. I doubt the WW2 pilots liked the tedious flight times either. BTW, there is a time skip feature that is documented.
    I did take a step back. I even mailed Ubi direct and raised my concerns with them BEFORE publishing the review. I can't be any fairer than that. Its a bad thing when authenticity detracts from gameplay to the point where it just doesn't feel worth it. And why include the timeskip feature if this is a hard core sim, as you say it is? You're shooting holes in your own argument there, my friend.

"Code not optimised for latest GFX cards"
    Maybe not for ati card, which I agree isn't great but for Nvidia cards its optimized. But then look at most of the games to come out in the last few years, upon initial release your lucky to get them running properly with any card *cough*BF:V*cough*
    Absolutely right. Which is a problem and you've agreed to it, so why are you arguing it? Unless you don't see it as a reason to mark the game down? But as long as I mark every game down that has the same problem, then that's ok, isn't it? And believe me, I will!

"Plane set not that big, especially if you have FB+AEP" 251 planes not big? Compare it to M$CF2 when that came out (ignoreing third party addons). That had 7 flyables. PF has 40. Also given the amount of hours it takes to build a plane and the cockpit, then program it I consider that to be quite a few. I agree, flyable torpedo bombers are missing and thats a bad point however but patches will appear soon enough.
    But you've already PAID for the vast majority of those planes, so its not as if you're actually getting much that's really NEW. Take out the fact that many of them are variants of the same type (as I said in the review) and PF does not give good value for money as a standalone game. Also, as I also made clear in the review, I am reviewing BOXED RETAIL copy. The exact same game that you would buy off the shelf, as I went and got mine of the shelf. Saying that things will be sorted in the patch is fine, but not exactly helpful to a review. How can a review score be based upon how good a game will be once it is patched? And to be fair, I did footnote the review saying that I would re-evaluate the game, post patch.

"It's an unfinished game, simple as that." To a degree I agree, at the same time you could sit there forever trying to digitally recreate WW2. There has to be a cut off point. I wouldn't say its a game either. Its a simulator.
    Yes, you could be pedantic and say that this thing is missing, or that plane is missing and go on forever. But that wasn't what I meant. It is unfinished with respect to what you actually get as a standalone game, given what has gone before. For the single player there's precious little here to keep them amused and what is here is bugged. You can bang on about a patch, but what if you have no internet connection? Or this is your first sim and you're not aware of Olegs excellent post release support? What then? Many people who'll buy this are not hardcore sim pilots. You will have to accept that those who are, are a minority. Your yourself said that SOME people like the long flight times. 'Some' is not 'all' and a long way from 'many'. So for the majority, the flight times are too long and for a few people who have no way of patching or don't even know of Oleg's support, the game just isn't worth playing 'out of the box'. The evidence for an unfinished, rushed release is there for all to see. Look at the campaigns to see that even a small amout of play testing would have revealed the bugs, or the clipping problems or the loadout screen problems or the FM, AI, DM and 3D modelling problems. Sure many of these are minor and don't stop the game being playable. But so many of them and added to the few major bugs and playability issues makes the game look rushed and unfinished.

I agree, the AI is crap, there are bugs but you paint this sim out to be a game, pointing out what your see as faults but actually are not when looking from the point of view this is a simulator.
    And as I've said a few times already. This is a game. It is also a simulator. Its both and it is posible for it to be both. The evidence for this is even in PFs own read me. How many times does it say the word 'game'? On top of that you've got all the options to make things easier, the timeskip and so on and so on. No, this is a game that can also be a simulator. Its a game to appeal to the masses and try and get more people flying it. As such, its a very poor introduction to the series. And for those of us who've been flying Oleg's products for a while, it's a cheek of Ubi to ask us to pay £35 for so few NEW aircraft and the same game engine (albeit a tweaked one) that we had in FB+AEP.

Oh, and before you think that I fly with all the easy options turned on, I don't. I may not be a very good pilot and unable to hit a plane from two feet away, but I fly full real plus speedbar in VEF and VWF.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-11-2004 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig
    But there unpaid admins so that makes them above and beyond the rules...
    They say they have a problem with the boards. I'll wait and see.

EDIT: ok - i was being paranoid They really did have a problem with the boards
    Last edited by MA_Moby; 03-11-2004 at 02:57 PM.

'Make mine a Spitfire, Landlord!'

Thanks
    Well, I'm getting on there and posting without a problem.

To be fair to Steve though, it would appear he might have been a bit overzealous, but there could have been a history there, who knows? I suppose the best indicator is what happens to your sing in as MA_Moby, eh?

ps. I note that in one the the threads he has linked to the review discussion on both Ubi and SimHQ.... and it may just be me, but I think I'm seeing more "I agree" posts than "you're a heretic, burn burn burn MOFO" posts now....
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Your seeing more "I agree" posts now as the people that dont "live" on the forums are now catchin up on your review, you've had the 1st wave of no-lifers that live eat and sleep the forums now the sencible people that have a life are on there way in...

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Deckard but I do maintain that as a sim, which endevours to recreate the Pacific WW2 battles, like Miday, Coral Sea etc what did people expect? Would you have critised PF is the missions were unrealistically short? Maps unrealistically small? Unrealistic or unauthentic planes, maps, missions, ships? Its a sim thats tried to be marketted as a game also but thats Ubi's fault. Its built on a sim engine, can be added to an exisiting sim, its modelling is for simulation.

As I understand the community desired a Pacific sim, the Il2 community in general also wants realism, immersion and as near exact detail as possible. Its what they wanted and its what they got. If Oleg delivered a sim that was basically BF1942 but planes only then there would have been uproar and it would have no credibility. I'd have certainly not bought it, I already own BF.

Im not saying mark something down because you don't like it but looking at what was the goal of this sim? I find Rome Total war boring as hell but still I'd mark it highly as it acheives what it set out to do.

As for pre conceptions, well US naval planes get eaten alive by the zero's prior to 1943, thats the case in PF to. Try taking on a wildcat with a zero, there easy meat. You can even BnZ in zero's if you control your speed well enough. I guess if you don't like the Japanese planes which after a point are relativly inferior in some cases (and would be worse if random mechanical failures were modelled) its probably better to send a letter of complaint to Mitsubishi for bad planning and using poor aluminium.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree on some points but this is miles ahead of IL2:Fb when it got released. I couldn't even get that to install lol. But its miles ahead anything else out there in both quality and quantity and I don't think such a low score was at all fair.

BTW, the Beaufighter issue happens on mission 1 depending on the location (yeah,m and it did piss me off) at first but it is acheiveable by yourself...just as the Beau can out run its IJA opponents...as per real life.

Thanks
    BTW, the Beaufighter issue happens on mission 1 depending on the location (yeah,m and it did piss me off) at first but it is acheiveable by yourself...just as the Beau can out run its IJA opponents...as per real life.
    I love the Beau missions

BUT I've done about 9 of them now, and only in 2 of them did the rest of the Beaus not crash into a hill! The rest of the time it was smoking holes and Aussies accents screaming death cries down my earholes. Now I've been promoted to Pilot Officer I can at least save my wingman on occassions! Oh well - plenty of targets for me!

There also seems to be a carrier take off bug with the AI in the IJN bomber missions. More often that not the number two plane off the deck pulls into a high nose attitude, does a stall turn, and flies into the sea. This isn't so critical for the completion and enjoyment of the missions, but it's funny to watch!

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks
    Not really contributed much to this discussion. Much of it is way above me. I'm a full real plus speed bar only person whether in VEF of on DF servers. The acid test for me is that I find other things to do now and spend less time on IL2FB/AEP/PF . I just find that sad.

Thanks Mondogenerator it's really good to hear a reasoned argument for "the other side". The thing for me is Deckard has scored this 4/10. Perhaps there are those that would have scored it 5 or 6. Surely no one would score it 8,9,10 and no one would score it 0,1,2. Deckard has highlighted many of the shortcomings of the game for the prospective purchaser, and appears to be spending all his time defending his score by emphasising these problems. BUT he did score it 4. Not 3, or 2 or less. I have the feeling there are some out there that think a lower score is more appropriate.

Post patch? Who knows how it will score. And remember its one score for sim addicts and "easy moders" alike.

I'd be surprised if there were more than 5% of purchasers who were substantially satisfied with the product.
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Thanks
    I'd say that maybe people who bought the stand alone to a degree may not be happy with it but is that down to the short comings or bugs or not realising this is a sim and were expecting air quake? Maybe Ubi not only need to look at there customer support but there marketing as well. If I was a person who saw the trailer and thought it was airquake with pretty graphics and I could immediatly pick this up and fly like Richard Bong then I might be upset but at the same time a sim enthusiast would be happy with this, the level of difficulty and the immersion factor. Its swings and roundabouts!

For the guys who own FB, AEP and now PF I think there plenty happy. Over 150 accuratly modelled high quality flyable planes, maps from 4 theatres (ok, the Africa map is a bit small), all types of operations can now be undertaken apart from high level strategic bombing (the B29 cockpit is actually finished it turns out but its not been taken up by Luthier), hundreds of ships, tanks, vehicals, buildings and objects and a full mission builder thats pretty simple to use, an excellent community, a developer that welcomes input from its customers and occasionally will give new, free planes.

Maybe they should have released it only as an expansion? They may loose a few new customers but last time I went down to Game, HMV or Virgin, IL2:FB and Aces were in the bargin bin. You could pick the whole lot up for £50, PF included, the same price you pay for some console games where you get no support, no addons, no patches, nothing free and no full mission builder or regular bug fixes.

Thanks
    i've had flu the last few days

I'm just glad this little debate has given me somethign to keep me entertained

Thanks
    Mondo, thanks for the reply.

I'm afradi we will ahve to agree to disagree about whether this game is a sim or something intended for a wider audience. I agree that Ubi marketing would make it seem like airquake, but then the game itself is easily configurable to MAKE it like airquake.

That said, we are only giving our personal opinions and as such I fully respect yours and won't argue with you over it, I don't have the right to do that. Can we just agree to differ?

I agree with you about the support for the game being the best there is, but I still feel that Ubi have rushed the game and, other than wanting the game out early to get some pre-christmas sales, I can't for the life of me understand why they have done it and I'm convinced that this is a poorer game because of it. There is plenty to be ahppy about, but not as much as there should be, given the price.

Should they hahve released it as an expansion? Well, I was thinking about this. Why couldn't they have released two versions? One that required FB+AEP and one that was standalone? Then they get new players AS WELL as satisfy current players. That would also have alleviated the version conflicts as the game would have been clearly divided into two camps. And to alleviate people wanting to fly on FB+AEP+PF servers but only having PF, well, FB+AEP are, as you say, just coming out as bundles.

Ah well, I suppose this is another one we'll just have to chock up to publishers not REALLY knowing their customers, or perhaps thinking they do, but not...

Let's see what happens with the patch in there!

(two weeks! )

Thanks
    Two weeks lol.

Can we just agree to differ?

I think we'll have too but I like a constructive debate.

Why couldn't they have released two versions? One that required FB+AEP and one that was standalone?

2 guesses would be support and then how would you retail that? I think it would have been standalone only but this made allot of die hards unhappy (I wanna take my '47 for spin over Okinawa for one thing!) so they did the combined thing.

Lets hope with Battle of Britian they learn from there errors and release a master peice.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I think we'll have too but I like a constructive debate.

Lets hope with Battle of Britian they learn from there errors and release a master peice.
    Both well worded....

S! Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Mondo, yep, let's agree to differ...

And I too hope that Ubi in particular ('cos I firmly believe 1C Maddox was pressured by them) learn from all of this and make BoB something that they can be proud of, we can love to bits and does an honour to the men and women who fought in it,

Thanks

Thanks MA_Moby

It was my banning that you commented about. I've had a private message with steve_v and he has apologized and reinstated my account, but I don't think I'll need it any more, now that you've turned me on to this forum. Thank you!

Thanks
    Hello brass rat,

Welcome to the forums.

You'll find things a here are a bit more relaxed and easy going than other places on the net... hope you enjoy it here and you find something to interest you.

S!

Deck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brass_rat
    It was my banning that you commented about. I've had a private message with steve_v and he has apologized and reinstated my account, but I don't think I'll need it any more, now that you've turned me on to this forum. Thank you!
    Yes - I think many of us could do without rash and petulant moderaters like that! Though at least he has seen the error of his ways.

Welcome to the forum! I've been visiting these pages for about a year. It has a small and friendly IL2 and LOMAC community. I hope you enjoy it here. Lots to see and read on the other Hexus pages too; computer hardware, software, cars, cookery etc

Check out Netwings as well. It can get a bit fiesty in there at times, but there are a lot of great people about too.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information