Thread: ArmA 2/3 FPS woes

Thanks

ArmA 2/3 FPS woes

I'm getting a miserable frame rate in both ArmA 2 and 3 and I'm really not sure why.
    Screenshot of settings and FPS:
    I don't really get much above 40 FPS regardless of what settings I'm using, I've tried changing the 'GPU_MaxFramesAhead' option in the config file to 1, as some have suggested and this changed nothing.

(Important) PC specs:
    i5 3450
    HD7950 Windforce at 1150MHz
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair RAM
    128GB Crucial M4 SSD
    1080p Monitor
    Windows 8.1
    Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V - H61 motherboard

The game used to run *alright*, not great, but better than now, but since I had to reinstall windows a few weeks ago, it hasn't been the same. I was talking to someone on the wasteland server I play on and he's using considerably worse hardware and getting better results, can anyone be my hero and help me out?

SUMMONER

Re: ArmA 2/3 FPS woes

Did you install a newer version of the video card card drivers, when you re-installed Windows? If you did, downgrade to an older version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMONER View Post
    Did you install a newer version of the video card card drivers, when you re-installed Windows? If you did, downgrade to an older version.
    It's the same version

Thanks
    • Marenghi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock X370
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @ 3.85
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 @ 3000
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 120GB + 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro 480 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600 watts
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24" 144hz + Viewsonic 24"
      • Internet:
      • 100MB fibre

video memory: default
    visibility to 1600 or lower, unless you like sniping at extreme distances it's more for aesthetics and will definitely give you a good increase in fps

with arma 2/3 mp your fps is dependant on the servers fps, load up the editor with the same map and see what fps you get, should give you an indication of a 'good' server in terms of how optimised the scripts that are running on that server. if you're after more detail on the settings then i suggest looking at the bistudio forums, there's a lot of moaning about poor fps on there

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Also up the graphical settings. If I remember most normal settings are done on the CPU.

ARMA is an odd game where setting higher graphics means more work offloaded to the GPU you should be able to get very high frame rates with that card and I5.

Also odd but set your video memory to low then high again. ARMA 2 is notorious for causing oddities when tweaking the settings.

But yeah keep view distance lower definitely. Change that quality preference to "low" then take it back to the highest possible.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks

I gave that all a go, the only thing that made a difference was changing server, also video distance is locked by the server... kinda. there's a separate setting in wasteland, I had my view distance set to the 2nd lowest of 4. I guess I forgot to mention in the original post that neither GPU or CPU are running near 100% ^^. I did take a look on the official forums but they looked semi abandoned so figured I'd try here, thanks for the suggestions

Registered+
    Thanks

Glad I'm not the only one having problems, was using a 1GB 6870 and was running Arma 2 on 50+fps easily all day (even on majority of high settings). Recently upgraded to a 3GB 7970 Matrix Platinum, and I'm getting 20-25fps max, even on low/very high settings, nothing changes. Seen a lot of people having same problem, I just need to reinstall later and give a few solutions a try and hopefully it works! Same thing happens with Arma 3/DayZ.

Thread Information