Thread: I did a fun thing this afternoon.....

Thanks

I did a fun thing this afternoon.....

I set out a little cross-country exercise in the full mission builder, with waypoints on and everything, and had a fly on it. But before I loaded it up, I set it to FULL real, no map icons, no minimap path and NO SPEEDBAR. It was so much fun, navigating on the radio beacons and instruments.... hell of a lot easier - I hardly paid attention to the outside - one eye on the compass with it's "go this way" thing in the middle (was flying a190) one eye on the artificial horizon one eye on the clock (knew roughly how far I'd go cos I'd set the wpoints up on the map and it tells you what time you're expected at a certain place) another eye on the altimeter and speedo and occasional looks at the ground, THEN check on the map - do it that way round and it's easier to find out where you are, or else you start seeing features that aren't there. I managed to go from one corner of the map to the other, with doglegs and stuff in it in about half an hour. Then I ballsed up the landing. Typical. Gonna try it at night next

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    I like doing that problem is in the Russain planes its a sod seeing the compass

Sexiest Hexus user? quite possibly Russ's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Russ's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple Logic Board
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.8GHZ 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5750
      • Case:
      • iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X Snow Leopard
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iMac
      • Internet:
      • 2mb(on a good day)

Re: I did a fun thing this afternoon.....

Originally posted by Tumble
    I set out a little cross-country exercise in the full mission builder, with waypoints on and everything, and had a fly on it. But before I loaded it up, I set it to FULL real, no map icons, no minimap path and NO SPEEDBAR. It was so much fun, navigating on the radio beacons and instruments.... hell of a lot easier - I hardly paid attention to the outside - one eye on the compass with it's "go this way" thing in the middle (was flying a190) one eye on the artificial horizon one eye on the clock (knew roughly how far I'd go cos I'd set the wpoints up on the map and it tells you what time you're expected at a certain place) another eye on the altimeter and speedo and occasional looks at the ground, THEN check on the map - do it that way round and it's easier to find out where you are, or else you start seeing features that aren't there. I managed to go from one corner of the map to the other, with doglegs and stuff in it in about half an hour. Then I ballsed up the landing. Typical. Gonna try it at night next
    it is nice to fly like tht in IL2, but when your reallyflying, your not supposed to "FLY BY THE COMPASS" as i used to get shouted at.
    Gamertag - Russonf (xbox and ps3)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: Re: I did a fun thing this afternoon.....

Originally posted by Russ
    but when your reallyflying, your not supposed to "FLY BY THE COMPASS" as i used to get shouted at.
    Why's that then?

Is it a Map and View only job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Yep, the compass is sposed to be used to verify where you are and set your track, nothing else. Most flying in light planes is by Visual Flight Rules... look at the compas all the time and you're not looking outside where all the other planes are, and seeing as the majority of the time ATC is there to keep you out of commercial airspace you HAVE to watch where you're going.

Its the same with the AH, people track that trying to get level instead of just feeling whether the plane is climbing/banking etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Only problem being the compass is carp in Russian planes....

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Gawd.....Tumble has some lessons to conduct on his visit to mine then

I get so lost without map icons....its awefull.

PLUS: The map with all the thousands of little islands and loads of water....what a way to get lost. Even playing a coop with Deckard, IN THE SAME HOUSE one room apart....I totally lost him and couldn't find the furball he was in...

I have zero sense of direction in IL2

Which is wierd, cos in Q3 and UT my sense of direction and elevation is spot on........but without Padlock in IL2 I am absolutely toast.

I am actually OK with the HAT SWITCH, but as it has less positions than is ideal, I use the mouse sometimes.

TiG uses the hatswitch to move the view point in stages......not Snap To......he deals with it well tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

At one with the weasels
    Thanks
    lol I have a mate who took several hours just to learn how to take off on full realism. Kep brushing his wingtips on the ground or tipping onto his nose.
    [WARNING] May contain trace levels of sarcasm

[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]A[SIZE=2]mbition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Thread Information