Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: War... War never changes (who's playing FO4?)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Re: War... War never changes (who's playing FO4?)

Well there is another less scruple-less way to get power armour.
    I mentioned it before but I can expand on it, sneak up behind the person in power armour you want, pickpocket the power core, they will then get out of the power armour, now I think getting into the power armour will count as stealing it, however the model of a power armour is only based on the bits covering it not the internal frame.
    And AFAIK it's only the internal frame that'll count as a stolen item, so you should be able to safely strip off the armour sections go back to one of your many T51 frames swap out the armour and hey presto brand new top of the line power armour

It's how I picked up T60 armour in the first hour of game play

Thanks

I'd heard that one but I still only have 2 frames and a very eclectic mix of armour parts!

I'm still hoarding fusion cores and I have about 12 now but don't want to use them

Decided to put a few points into stealth, doesn't appear to have made much difference yet, I wish I could reset my skill tree whenever I wanted

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Power armour is level dependent,and IIRC if you visit an area it locks it to your level at the time- if you want X01 there are some locations you should not try and visit before level30 to level31.

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

I've completed the main story, I'm going to pick away at all the other offerings as I go, I've still heck of a lot to explore. Very happy with this as a purchase.

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I'd heard that one but I still only have 2 frames and a very eclectic mix of armour parts!

I'm still hoarding fusion cores and I have about 12 now but don't want to use them

Decided to put a few points into stealth, doesn't appear to have made much difference yet, I wish I could reset my skill tree whenever I wanted
    Once you get to about 40 cores you sorta stop worrying lol late game on normal sorta gets easy had to crank it up to hard just to make it a little interesting.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Jasp View Post
    Once you get to about 40 cores you sorta stop worrying lol late game on normal sorta gets easy had to crank it up to hard just to make it a little interesting.
    I'm finding this even at mid level (just hit 21) have my own terracotta army of power armor (7 suits + about 30 cores) and I've stopped using it as its just not challenging with it on. Even without it 2 ranks in stealth makes you basically batman. That + the deliverer and a silenced .50 sniper makes you more or less unstoppable.

Thanks

Just came across a skirmish between BOS and some raiders and managed to get a set of BOS II T60 (?) armour, it's leaps ahead of what I had before, winterized it and now looking badass! I still only have 2 frames though and a tonne of pieces so I loaded my companion up with Hot Rod T45b

My companion Cait (what an annoying voice actor) managed to bring down a virtibird with a shotgun but I couldn't find anything decent in the wreckage, do you ever get armour or just the pilot items?

Thanks

Just got some X01 power armour, was just standing around near a downed aircraft, no legs for it though!

Now got 2 sets of BOS II, some T51, T45b and most of an X01, I'll have to setup a display!
    Last edited by Rob_B; 14-12-2015 at 06:21 PM.

k-c
    Registered+
    Thanks
    • k-c's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA SSC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 650W
      • Case:
      • White Corsair Carbide Air 240

I initially had that dreaded game breaking terminal bug where I got stuck at any terminal with no way of moving (apparently increased possibility of that happening when you have high FPS... I knew there would be a catch to having a shiny new system!), but the beta patch seems to have fixed it so I have been able to play for the last week or two. Absolutely loving it so far! Not really used the power armour much yet, maybe later?

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Also work on containers, traders and such, when you have the old style two lists to move items too and from them, you can filter both of them.
    Arghh, I didn't realise you could do that! I've been doing it the hard way each time, cursing the fact that there wasn't an easier way (other than pressing Z to 'sort')... and there is! Thank you!

Thanks

I've got about 6 sets of power armour now, painted in lots of lovely colours.... but I'm not using them much, they're more for decoration, anyone else doing the same?!

Thanks

I have still got the same armour from when I joined the Brotherhood of Steel. And one set from the very beginning in the power station I think it was. But haven't bothered picking up any others.
    Jon

Thanks

My save now says over 9 days, that's surely a bug , right? Right?....

Thanks

I doubt it, its surprising how much you can get absorbed into some games. Back in the day in WoW my playtime was something like 452 days! Oh dear, where did the time go!
    Jon

Registered+
    Thanks

On topic (who's playing fallout 4) - well, I am not, and I will not, even though I adore Fallout and Fallout 2.
    Why? Long story short: bethesda has proven many times so far that they totally did not get the point of original Fallout game(s).

I've stumbled upon amazing review or whatever you wanna call it, not written by me but I agree with author almost completely. If anyone cares here's great text:
    http://pastebin.com/kV9zJkxu

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Fallout has always been as much an anti-war statement as anything else. The games are kind of reflecting on today's world too and what would get happen if we throw it all away through petty infighting and not working together as a species to solve our common problems.

Having actually bothered to play and explore the newer ones a decent amount,you do pretty much get this feeling through playing the newer games,especially with the little touches here and there - they are not all big obvious quests and so on. They might be drastically different than the older ones,but its more upto you interpret what you see.

But reading that post and the whole part about "Bethesda" has made the player the "messiah" in their Fallout games and not the old ones- I don't agree with it.

You are called the "Chosen One" FFS!

Wait,if you were not some sort of "messiah" in the original games,why the heck should anyone really give a damn would you do or not do in the first place...nobody would care and you would be just another person drifting through the wasteland.

Instead you end up wiping out most of the Enclave in the second one. Yet you are some random person who starts from nothing and then wipes out most of the shadow organisation with 100s if not 1000s of troops,advanced weapons,etc who descended from the US government in like 10 seconds.

Wait,you and your motley crew of followers wipes out most of the shadow US government in one go..um OK?? How is that not like some superhero/messiah thing??

I mean all the other organisations like the BoS and NCR, obviously with far great resources and manpower,are so inept they could never take them on,before random person XYZAKJS1292 turned up and showed them the light?? Umm....OK.

Yet,in reality The Enclave would just probably send a sniper and blow your head off away from a 1000 yards before you saw it,and just nuke the whole area you were in to make sure you were dead.

You are as much a "messiah" in the old games as you are now.

Also,the complaints about games being made "simpler" - I loved System Shock 2 as much Bioshock which was its "spiritual" successor and was simplified in many ways. Then Valve copied Shodan and put the character into a different game all together which was not even an RPG. I expect there were System Shock fans which hated that too..

The thing is sometimes,its nice to try out different interpretations of the same theme - Ghost in the Shell as a manga,film,TV series are alternate retellings of the same story and with the same characters with somewhat different biases. I can appreciate all of them,but they are separate.

Pretty much the same with TOS against the newer Trek series and the old Trek films against the new ones and so on.

I think the problem is that people just have that this personal idea of a perfect game, usually based on some rose tinted view of an old game they love a lot,then in the end it just means they can never find any game fun which deviates from that one kind of formula,because the said old games are now IMPOSSIBLE in their mind to top.It doesn't mean new games are instantly better than old ones,but then sometimes people might be wishing for a game that might(or cannot) not be made,and instantly criticise anything which deviates from that formula.

Plus we already have another spiritual Fallout 2 successor - its called Wasteland 2?? People can play that instead and be happy if Bethesda is being sub-par. Fallout was just essential a refined version of Wasteland in many ways.

Or is that flawed in a bazillion ways too??

From what I gathered a fair number of Fallout 1 and 2 fans were criticising that too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 22-12-2015 at 03:27 AM.

16. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

To say that he's
    I'm fairly confident that I've just expressed a deeply unpopular opinion
    is rubbish, a lot of people hold that opinion, even those of us who like the Bethesda versions agree with many of his points, it's one of my personal biggest gripes with them, the large shallow nature of the world.
    He really doesn't tackle one of my personal other issues, which I find has an even bigger impact on the role playing nature of them, in that the solution to almost everything is to shoot stuff, granted he's more focused on 3 than 4 and so far 3 had a lot more alternatives to just murdering your way past it.

However there is a bit of a question of rose tinted glasses here, especially when you look at fallout, the much vaulted (no pun intended) main quest story is just "get the water chip" then stop the mutant menace, that's it, every thing else is side quests, you never have to visit have to visit shady sands and save tammy (thus starting the NCR) you do simply because it's one of the first places you "stumble" across (it's well contrived as it's in the direct path to vault 15, the only place other than vault 13 you know at the start)
    And there are not that many multi-location quests, when there are they are generally simple one task jobs, eg save tammy from the raiders, yes there are often multiple ways to do things and there may be additional side quests at the 2nd location but the quest that sent you there was usually "do x and return" the real in depth multi-location/task quests came in fallout2.
    People forget that in fallout there was only a grand total of 12 locations and a whole lot of empty map with random encounters between. (yes there where special locations too but they where random and chance and luck stat based to if you found them)

Also the majority of the humour in fallout and 2, was based around pop-culture references, yes it was twisted black humour but still pop-culture, it's one of the reasons I prefer fallout to fallout 2, there was less and more subtle pop-culture jokes in it.
    Now preferring fallout over fallout2 is a far less popular opinion than saying fallout 3 is not as good as fallout 1 & 2 as a role playing game.

Also the whole section about the water filtration seems to be a total straw man argument and really doesn't belong there.
    As for another reason why I think Fallout 3's main story is bad and doesn't tackle the core themes of Fallout games: “Filtering through earth removes essentially all of the fallout particles and more of the dissolved radioactive material than does boiling-water distillation… In areas of heavy fallout, about 99% of the radioactivity in water could be removed by filtering it through ordinary earth.”[10]
    how is water filtration a core theme of the fallout games? other than you requiring a chip for the vault water filter system in the original game?
    Quoting a bit of real life information as a backup for the argument is even worse, as it actually contradicts fallout law, water is contaminated, just to low levels that's why you need the chip in the first place and why the master is searching for the vault, for genetic material (people) uncontaminated by radiation.
    Also you'd need to look at all the other major issues, like how exposure to some radiation has turned people into ghouls or cows to grow two heads.
    In fallout the 1950's is used not just for the styling and music but a lot of law is based on 50's science and scifi, so I don't see any issue with the idea that the whole of the dc water basin could be polluted with radiation or that a device could be made to clean it up.

All told, no they are not good role playing games and 4 is even less of one than 3 was, yes the main plot isn't great in 3 (I've been avoiding it in 4 so no idea on that one yet) however there is actually more to the main plot in 3 than there was in the original, there's just nothing outside the main plot that refers back to it unlike fallout 1 & 2, in general 3 is just a lot of self contained bits outside the main plot,yes it's breadth not depth, but it does capture the fallout world IMO and that's why I like it as it's own thing and why I prefer it to slightly to new vagas, yes new vagas had a better more in depth world but it didn't capture the world in the same way (it's feel was far more post-apocalypse wild west)

EDIT: Actually one thing I don't like about the Bethesda versions is black humour related in that they seem to have turned the majority of vaults into twisted experiments, where as in the original games the majority of vaults where just that vaults and only a minority where used for experiments.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information