• Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Fallout 76

I've looked and couldn't find a thread about this.

Stress test beta is out and it's supposed to release in less than two weeks (14th)

Anyone planning on getting it?

I'm torn atm, what I've seen so far isn't too bad, it's a bit more borderlandsish with survival stuck in

My biggest let down atm is the lack of private servers and modding, both supposed to come nov 2019 so a whole year.

I think a Hexus server would be great

I'll get it at some point I'm sure, just not sure if now, in 6 months or 12 months

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Fallout 76

I bought it off a site who won't be mentioned here,and missed half the beta. But I got hold of a BETA key so can give you some feedback(and some screenshots) if you want,but it is raw feedback so it might annoy some.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Only just finished 4, and have still got FO3 and NV in my Steam account waiting to go. So I'll probably give 76 a miss for a good while. I always feel pressured to spend more time than I'm comfortable with playing big online games just to keep up. e.g. Rust. ugh

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Ok,here is my experience of playing 10 hours of the beta so far.

First some screenshots. The game is at qHD with the current allowed maxed out settings(High and Ultra).

Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Higher resolution pictures here with some extra ones not linked in this thread:

https://imgur.com/a/ewAEDeT
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2018 at 07:24 PM.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Yeah, those pictures either need to be smaller or less of them please.

I have been watching ManyATrueNerd's videos on it and I feel rather ambivalent about it. What seems to have been taken out by making it multiplayer hasn't been added by it being multiplayer; at least for me.

I do very much like the new SPECIAL system of starting at 1 and increasing each level to give you a proper sense of increasing in level, and using cards to "spend" those SPECIAL points. I don't like the cards being random, possibly because it is multiplayer and you can share cards with other players if you want.

I would wait for private servers as I can see the game getting hacked to crap and generally people are scum, which is why I don't like playing multiplayer games with random people. I also normally wait for a sale, but if no-one else is playing it by then, then I might just skip it all together.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
    Yeah, those pictures either need to be smaller or less of them please.

I have been watching ManyATrueNerd's videos on it and I feel rather ambivalent about it. What seems to have been taken out by making it multiplayer hasn't been added by it being multiplayer; at least for me.

I do very much like the new SPECIAL system of starting at 1 and increasing each level to give you a proper sense of increasing in level, and using cards to "spend" those SPECIAL points. I don't like the cards being random, possibly because it is multiplayer and you can share cards with other players if you want.

I would wait for private servers as I can see the game getting hacked to crap and generally people are scum, which is why I don't like playing multiplayer games with random people. I also normally wait for a sale, but if no-one else is playing it by then, then I might just skip it all together.
    Will make them smaller and link to the higher res pictures.

8. Received thanks from:

Gerrard (05-11-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks

There's already a problem where if you unlock the frame cap and your fps goes past it you get speed hack. People seem to enjoy these kind of bugs that are infinite in Bethesda games but in multiplayer it really can't be happening.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

OK,these are my impressions after 10 hours of playing.

Technical

1.)The game is installed on a 7200RPM HDD. When starting the game for the first time,the intro video stuttered! Didn't notice stuttering in the game,but apparently some people with older CPUs had it.
    2.)With a Ryzen 5 2600 at stock and a GTX1080FE at qHD on max settings,the game seems to run more or less at 60FPS,with some drops under that for brief periods if you are suddenly turning during combat.
    3.)The game seems to have somewhat better core loading than Fallout 4 but two threads are taxed the most.
    4.)Draw distances are much better than in Fallout 4.
    5.)Textures are hit and miss. Some are better than vanilla Fallout 4 and others seem worse.
    6.)Too much bloom.
    7.)Models can look a bit blocky at times.
    8.)Character creation menu was a bit hit and miss.
    9.)Bethesda have not impoved character models that much,and for some reason the character bodies seem quite bloated,and wide. The stock face models also look weird.
    10.)You need to restart the game if you want to make any changes to the graphical settings.
    11.)Interior lighting is hit and miss.
    12.)Water is hit and miss in quality and effects.
    13.)Many Fallout 4 assets look to be re-used with some minor changes.
    14.)Lack of user based modding,means you need to rely on Bethesda for bug fixes and historically they have been very poor.

Story

This is just the beginning part,so not many actual spoilers about the details.

1.)Apparently people survived the war for decades,but magically a few years before you leave the Vault,are all gone or dead. It can't be that long as the bodies are still there. How convenient,so Bethesda needs no proper NPCs.
    2.)The nukes are central to the story.
    3.)The story makes no sense - why would you send some of the brightness people in the US outside without any weapons?
    4.)The Vault shuts down 24 hours after the people leave - what idiotic story writing is that?? If anything having the Vault as backup would be important to start a new civilisation and contradicts the lore.

Gameplay and World

1.)The player character needs to eat and drink way too much,especially drinking.Half the time you need to run around to find water which is clean,or make soups,etc. You then drink and a few minutes later you are thirsty which makes you move much slower. I am surprised there isn't a trail of poo and piddle behind you.
    2.)The UI is not really intuitive for PC,especially the social menus and seems to be shoehorned from consoles.
    3.)The events menu keeps randomly stacking up and I cannot find a way to just cancel them,and they take up too much of the screen.
    4.)The perk card system is annoying. Its all down to random chance,so instead of speccing to a build,you need to fit your build around the random perk cards,which means I can't roleplay like I do in such games.
    5.)Scavenging is even more of the gameplay than Fallout4.
    6.)However,since Red Rocket gas stations have a stash,and you can set-up your C.A.M.P. at most places,you can offload junk to the stash via the latter.
    7.)Crafting seems a bit better overall,and there are enough crafting stations around,which are linked to your stash.
    8.)The stash capacity is limited so I wonder if it will be linked to in-game currency like some other games?
    9.)Fast travel and respawning costs caps.
    10.)Weapons degrade way too quickly,especially the non-pipe weapons which should not be breaking after relatively few rounds.
    11.)The world is large but also quite empty. Lots of walking.
    12.)The stories told through the notes and audio logs are actually reasonably well done.I am glad to see at least this hasn't change.
    13.)Most locations are above ground. Apparently another person I knew who played it said there was another Vault,but it was blocked off. I hope its not DLC content.
    14.)The music adds to the solitude in the game,and you do feel alone.
    15.)The game does have a great atmosphere though. I explored Vault-Tec University and it was really creepy.
    16.)Character seems to have asthmatic problems,which might be explained by their excessive water consumption. They seem to only walk at a slow pace,almost like it is done to make the world seem larger.
    17.)Also the weapons seem very slow in operation.

However,I do question how much replayability the game will have after the initial story has been finished. Also the lack of living factions also means there is really no goal too.

Is it worth a buy?? I dunno. Its fun to a degree,in a Lone Wonderer way,exploring,but I can see myself playing it for a while,exploring all of it and then getting bored quickly.

It might be a bit better if you have mates to play with,but none of my mates really seem to be Fallout fans!

For me is it worth £40 to £50. Nope,although YMMV.

It needs more content at that price IMHO.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2018 at 08:11 PM.

11. Received thanks from:

jim (05-11-2018),Pob255 (05-11-2018)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I'm a bit perplexed by that review CAT - though to start with, thanks (of course) for the thorough write up.

I'll explain myself.

What I love about Fallout [3/NV/4] is how it captures the sense of being more or less alone. Yes, there are people around, but they're not going to save your arse. If anything, they're more likely to stick a knife in it the second you turn your back.

So I spend my time wandering around, talking to the people I like, shooting the people I don't like, and immersing myself in the atmosphere.

Consequently, multiplayer sounds like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. I'm halfway through my march across the desolate wastelands, with my only companion a radscorpion that wants to sting me in the backside, and then suddenly 3 people dressed up as clowns bunny hop past me, firing fat mans everywhere they can and calling everyone a n00b in the chat function. My 15 minute experience of GTA Online was more or less that, FWIW.

Yet in your review, you say that "It's fun to a degree,in a Lond Wanderer way". Have I got the wrong end of the stick on the multiplayer bit?

In all honesty, I was quite excited about the reveal whenever that was, but as soon as I saw it was multiplayer I stopped reading, so I really have no idea what type of game it is.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed by that review CAT - though to start with, thanks (of course) for the thorough write up.

I'll explain myself.

What I love about Fallout [3/NV/4] is how it captures the sense of being more or less alone. Yes, there are people around, but they're not going to save your arse. If anything, they're more likely to stick a knife in it the second you turn your back.

So I spend my time wandering around, talking to the people I like, shooting the people I don't like, and immersing myself in the atmosphere.

Consequently, multiplayer sounds like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. I'm halfway through my march across the desolate wastelands, with my only companion a radscorpion that wants to sting me in the backside, and then suddenly 3 people dressed up as clowns bunny hop past me, firing fat mans everywhere they can and calling everyone a n00b in the chat function. My 15 minute experience of GTA Online was more or less that, FWIW.

Yet in your review, you say that "It's fun to a degree,in a Lond Wanderer way". Have I got the wrong end of the stick on the multiplayer bit?

In all honesty, I was quite excited about the reveal whenever that was, but as soon as I saw it was multiplayer I stopped reading, so I really have no idea what type of game it is.
    I played it as I would normally - alone and I took my time. So in that sense exploring and reading the journals was fun,and unlike the previous entries you do feel utterly alone since there are no NPCs,even more so than Fallout 3. So far the people I have run into have been OK,but since the UI is so poor,I didn't know how to say hi so unintentionally blanked them. Having said that once people get used to it,I expect a number will try trolling.

However,since the map is so sparce,once you complete the main story the end content will be an issue,and with no NPCs its all a bit anti-climatic. ALL the factions are dead BTW.

Like I said I can see myself doing the same with this,like the other online survival games - I will play it for a while,and then after the newness wears off I probably won't pick it up for a while. The same happened with ARK.

Edit!!

Also I believe Bethesda missed a trick here to make it unique.

You are part of a control Vault and one of the most important ones.

So it makes no sense you would start killing each other a few decades after seeing the world you loved,being utterly destroyed.

If anything they should have made all the players ONE team,ie,a Vault team.

So basically you have to work together to survive and rebuild civilisation.

Hence,you need to secure resources,like a farm,power station,etc to provide the material to build up your new civilisation and survive the 4 seasons,and the environment.

If the people work together they complete the objective of surviving much easier. They OFC can not work together and fight each other,hence reducing the chance any of you would to survive in the new world.

That for me would have been an interesting way to do things,instead of mighty battling units(A Dilbert reference there).
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Yes I've been watching the "many a true nerd" videos too, as well as a couple of other "impressions" videos

couple of things I've noticed, while containers are instanced to each player, loot placed in the world is not (other than quest loot), so you can go somewhere only to find most of the stuff is gone.
    While mob's seem to have a relatively short respawn timer, I'm not sure if placed loot does.
    every time you respawn it sticks you into a random world so what's been looted and what hasen't??

I think the perk card system looks better than FO4, since they did away with skills, however I can see the random nature being annoying and left open for micro transactions.

I can see the reasons for dead npc's, otherwise you'd end up on servers where people are going around killing them, if you made them immortal or too high level then they would be under no threat from the world.

Nothing can have a major effect on the world, this is an issue with MMO's and similar games, because you don't want to have worlds where other people actions have changed the world leaving you with no way to impact the world.

These last two are issues I've seen being mentioned without seeming to grasp the whole multiplayer thing, I can also see this having the issues of MMO's with people rushing to cap and then complaining about the lack of "end game" content.
    It's one of the reasons I'm more interested in private servers, playing with others who are like minded and want to explore, read all the stuff, hear all the logs and not just power through as fast as possible.

EDIT: It's why I'm somewhere between
    1) in the next 6-12 months when it's a bit cheaper
    2) I'm waiting for private servers
    on my poll

EDIT2: Oh an lack of FOV slider?!!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The perk card system is terrible. The random nature means its RNG for what you want,and I know what points I want to spec first. So I ended up with a build I am not happy with. The dead NPCs is really just meh. Literally all the factions are alive just 5 seconds before you leave the Vault. Then suddenly they all got a bad stomach and died. A reason there are no NPCs is also probably down to cost and technical limitations. Voiced NPCs cost money and effort,and you would need to actually have proper dialogue trees,etc for them. For instance in The Witcher 3,voice acting was a significant part of the cost of the game,IIRC(it had 500 voice actors).

So a lot of the writing budget is also not needed. Then you need to consider NPC pathfinding,etc. Its a wonder whether the ancient engine they use can support netcode,32 players and proper NPCs. For me it comes across as a minimal level effort,and some of the fan made DLCs for Fallout 4 might expose some of the laziness on Bethesda's part IMHO. After all the California mod for Fallout:New Vegas seems really well done.

Lots of other online games have NPCs too,and the Fallout world is as much about their stories as your own.

I mean its really a shame as all the journals,etc really are well done,but since they are all dead,so what?? If some of them were alive it might mean something.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Wait,wut:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/fallout-76-patch/

I just downloaded 45GB and now another 30GB??

Registered+
    Thanks

Maybe on the new build but probably wasting my time currently

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Voiced NPCs cost money and effort,and you would need to actually have proper dialogue trees,etc for them. For instance in The Witcher 3,voice acting was a significant part of the cost of the game,IIRC(it had 500 voice actors).
    When I hear how good Google are getting at voice synthesis, I have to wonder how long it will be before game writers just choose a type of voice and type in some text for the engine to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information