Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAA Game pricing and the last time you purchased a AAA game at launch?

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: AAA Game pricing and the last time you purchased a AAA game at launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    On the other hand, PC games cost more to make.
    Do they? Surely if the game is already made for a console the porting cost is cheaper than building the game from scratch, even allowing for a wider array of testing required.

Thanks

I refuse to pay £40+ for a game ... i got the all access pass for bf4 for about £50 but I didnt even play it because it was just so boring. I recently got kingdom come deliverence for £30 (cheap key), its a great game for a fair price.
    What really irks me however is costumes, skins, etc for silly amounts of money (fortnite costume for £40... What? Why? Who buys and encourages this crap?)

Thanks

I remember the days I rationalized (read: persuaded myself) shelling out ££ on PC hardware on the basis that PC games were ~50% the price of console games and overtime it would pay for itself... This was when it was £40-50 for a console title and £20-30 for the equivilant PC. Unfortunately now the AAA prices seem to be creeping up so there's very little difference. That + my old age, and I'm less impatient about getting the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. There's been a few exceptions (e.g. Xcom 2), but usually I just hold fire until something comes up on a Steam seasonal sale or good deal appears on the deal websites. It's a shame, as with the increasing price of PC hardware (*looks at 2080 TI's*) I could really do with being able to use my original rationale - but can't!

Registered+
    Thanks

Last AAA game I purchased was RDR2... Ultimate Edition. I'm still not sure if it was worth the price. Needless to say it's a great game though. I swear I'm buying less games as I get older but spend the same total amount on them!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by andeh83 View Post
    I remember the days I rationalized (read: persuaded myself) shelling out ££ on PC hardware on the basis that PC games were ~50% the price of console games and overtime it would pay for itself... This was when it was £40-50 for a console title and £20-30 for the equivilant PC. Unfortunately now the AAA prices seem to be creeping up so there's very little difference. That + my old age, and I'm less impatient about getting the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. There's been a few exceptions (e.g. Xcom 2), but usually I just hold fire until something comes up on a Steam seasonal sale or good deal appears on the deal websites. It's a shame, as with the increasing price of PC hardware (*looks at 2080 TI's*) I could really do with being able to use my original rationale - but can't!
    you're spot on here.

A PS or XBOX title was way more money than the PC DVD equiv.. and it was worth building a PC, especialyl if you were gonna buy 6 or 7 in a year.

But now... new game titles are not just massive money ( as per opening post) but also confusing with different options (also as per opening post)

and of you DONT jump onboard in the early days, you often lose out on skill/experience/gameplay modifications/learning curve.. so when you DO join in, you often take a very long time to get up to to speed.

There's no solution though- games are big money- period.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I just don't by AAA games until about 6 months to 2 years after release (or sometimes even longer to get the GOTY edition with all the DLC) when its hits ~£5. Even with my switch I bought second hand using trade ins so I didn't have to spend cash... I've only got 2 games I've paid more than £30 to own - Star citizen and Mass effect 2 and I just don't see that being added too after MA2 dropped to £5 in just over a year.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I can honestly say that I don't buy AAA titles at launch anymore as they are just way to expensive.

Only exception to that rule is I bought Spider Man and the new Tomb Raider game on PS4 but there has been nothing else all year. I normally wait until they drop to at least 50% cheaper or wait even longer and get them for around a tenner from somewhere like Greenman Gaming.

Also like mentioned above I like to wait for the GOTY edition so you get everything in one package and when that releases it is usually a bit cheaper than the original release and six months afterwards you are talking £10-£15

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Do they? Surely if the game is already made for a console the porting cost is cheaper than building the game from scratch, even allowing for a wider array of testing required.
    If you make a game purely for console and then port it (i.e. have the console sales subsidise PC), yes. But that's not really how it is done for the most part. And that extra testing, plus support for many additional configurations adds to the cost. And that's before we get into paying platform holders like Steam etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    you're spot on here.

A PS or XBOX title was way more money than the PC DVD equiv.. and it was worth building a PC, especialyl if you were gonna buy 6 or 7 in a year.

But now... new game titles are not just massive money ( as per opening post) but also confusing with different options (also as per opening post)

and of you DONT jump onboard in the early days, you often lose out on skill/experience/gameplay modifications/learning curve.. so when you DO join in, you often take a very long time to get up to to speed.

There's no solution though- games are big money- period.
    On the other hand, games are a lot cheaper overall than they were historically. Console titles were ~£50 25 years ago, and people paid. Can you imagine if they had kept pace with inflation, we'd be paying £100 a game.

Thanks

I have not bought a AAA at launch since 2011 but that is less to do with price.

I was one of those grumpy old gits speaking out against various things way back back. Sadly the practises were enabled and thus companies took the proverbial mile and I never seen it as a good consumer practice to buy at launch ever since. After the hostile reaction I got for daring to suggest people not pre-order No Mans Sky and wait for a reviewer I do not bother anymore and just let them dig their own grave, I will stick with my golden oldies, yea I am "behind" but there are benefits to it..

I think people should at least wait for the reviews to start coming through before spending hard earned money on unfinished games.
    Last edited by phoenixmystic; 15-12-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo correction
    Honour in peace,

A leprichaun talks to me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information