Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this possible? .... CS:GO

Thanks

Re: Is this possible? .... CS:GO

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    no worries mate, it's pretty cool this is a thing though. especially without steam etc
    Oh yeah, completely agree. It's great it's there and my bet is I'm far closer to being the exception that proves the rule, than being the rule, in my "single player only" stance. I know I'm not alone, but I'd bet it's not just a minority view but a pretty small one. I have done the multiplayer thing and the best I can say is, for me, it's 'okay' playing online if it's with friends. For LAN gaming, again with friends, well, I used to run some quite regularly. That, I enjoy.

But the general online thing, teams, strangers, etc? It not only does't float my boat, but I dislike it. It's not helped, of course, by the stinking attitude of a small numbers of cheaters that just ruin it for everybody else but even without that aspect, it just 'ain't my thang'.

My suspicion is that this stance says far more about me personally than it does about gaming, online or otherwise.

Ever see "grumpy old men"? I kinda empathise with a lot of the grumping, though I might phrase it differently. Over the years, I (and no doubt everybody else) has ended up doing a lot of things I didn't want to do, and certainly didn't enjoy, but went along with because it's the socially expected thing. No longer. As I get older, and my body is less willing to exert itself and, frankly, the physical pain levels go up, Ive become less and less willing to just go with the flow, and much more .... almost selfish .... in that I do things if and only if I want to. That does include me "wanting to" because doing so will please someone else even if I'd rather not, but that someone else, nowadays, is pretty much only the wife.

All of which, though a huge diversion, is the general reason why I chose to play single-player games (or, given the chance, dual/LAN with a friend(s) ) and not online gaming. I don't do that much gaming anyway. I've barely dipped a toe in for about a decade, not least, due to antiquated hardware. Now, with a very capable laptop and a gaming-capable (also content-creation capable of course) PC build coming up, the hardware excuse went away, but still, I don't play much, and want to get the most out of what I do.

Years ago, I'd have jumped at that CS site, just to poke around if nothing else and yeah, it's great that it's there. I 100% agree. It's just not my thing.

It's a bit like fruit.

Bear with me.

I love strawberries, but am not a blueberry fan. A good friend of mine adores blueberries, but strawberries? Nah.

I'm happy blueberries exist, for those that like them but, stick a load on a plate anywhere near me and I might, if the whimsy takes me, have one or two. But probably not.

Stick a plate of strawberries anywhere in the same hemisphere and if you want to avoid me-shaped footprints up your front, I'd advise not getting between me and the strawberries. I'm a laser-locked, heat-seeking strawberry-lover.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    you can now play cs 1.6 in a web browser without steam too https://play-cs.com/en/servers
    Weird, and interesting. Doesn't exactly look like it's sanctioned by Valve and it seems like there's a pay to win element with 'premium' and purchases outside of the game. Don't think I'd really trust them with my personal data let alone financial information...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Oh yeah, completely agree. It's great it's there and my bet is I'm far closer to being the exception that proves the rule, than being the rule, in my "single player only" stance. I know I'm not alone, but I'd bet it's not just a minority view but a pretty small one. I have done the multiplayer thing and the best I can say is, for me, it's 'okay' playing online if it's with friends. For LAN gaming, again with friends, well, I used to run some quite regularly. That, I enjoy.

But the general online thing, teams, strangers, etc? It not only does't float my boat, but I dislike it. It's not helped, of course, by the stinking attitude of a small numbers of cheaters that just ruin it for everybody else but even without that aspect, it just 'ain't my thang'.

My suspicion is that this stance says far more about me personally than it does about gaming, online or otherwise.

Ever see "grumpy old men"? I kinda empathise with a lot of the grumping, though I might phrase it differently. Over the years, I (and no doubt everybody else) has ended up doing a lot of things I didn't want to do, and certainly didn't enjoy, but went along with because it's the socially expected thing. No longer. As I get older, and my body is less willing to exert itself and, frankly, the physical pain levels go up, Ive become less and less willing to just go with the flow, and much more .... almost selfish .... in that I do things if and only if I want to. That does include me "wanting to" because doing so will please someone else even if I'd rather not, but that someone else, nowadays, is pretty much only the wife.

All of which, though a huge diversion, is the general reason why I chose to play single-player games (or, given the chance, dual/LAN with a friend(s) ) and not online gaming. I don't do that much gaming anyway. I've barely dipped a toe in for about a decade, not least, due to antiquated hardware. Now, with a very capable laptop and a gaming-capable (also content-creation capable of course) PC build coming up, the hardware excuse went away, but still, I don't play much, and want to get the most out of what I do.

Years ago, I'd have jumped at that CS site, just to poke around if nothing else and yeah, it's great that it's there. I 100% agree. It's just not my thing.

It's a bit like fruit.

Bear with me.

I love strawberries, but am not a blueberry fan. A good friend of mine adores blueberries, but strawberries? Nah.

I'm happy blueberries exist, for those that like them but, stick a load on a plate anywhere near me and I might, if the whimsy takes me, have one or two. But probably not.

Stick a plate of strawberries anywhere in the same hemisphere and if you want to avoid me-shaped footprints up your front, I'd advise not getting between me and the strawberries. I'm a laser-locked, heat-seeking strawberry-lover.
    yeah that's completely fair enough mate.

I used to lol play the dodgy ripped version with bots at my grandparents on my amd duron second rig where we had no Internet there in the dial up days.

I'd say just make a vm and get the dodgy ripped version and play it that way and you're safe.

Thanks

I had a go a few times was rather amusing had no issues but was on a mac. didn't spot any stuff to do with buying shiz from third parties though. so I don't believe it's a requirement to play...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information