• Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    I am getting intrigued now and am interested in perhaps trying this out...

What sort of differences are there to WoW?

Thanks
    What the game is all about and how it differs is discuused a lot in this thread
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...4&page=1&pp=15

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuZZard
    What the game is all about and how it differs is discuused a lot in this thread
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...4&page=1&pp=15
    I participated in that thread and all I got from it was that it was different to WoW and it was more like Diablo2, which I've never played.

So, you meet up in town, you get a group and then when you leave town there's no-one else around? Seems a bit strange IMO... I said I am intrigued due to the vast amount of people saying they will be/are playing it, but I'm trying to understand what the point of the game is. With WoW there are a number of "goals" if you like:

Reaching level 60
    Doing high level instances
    Participating in PvP and/or raids and gaining honour
    Getting the best armor and weapons you can

You do this is a world populated by many others, friends and foe. If you have to run through an area with some high level mobs, other people around you "could" help you out by taking aggro from you, as far as I understand, this will never happen in GW as you're all alone, apart from your group, outside of town. That's the bit I don't understand and I wondered how it compared to WoW.

Thanks
    Any word from the boss on whether we can use the HEXUS moniker?

Thanks
    I thought the whole point about this game was that there wasnt any levels? Would a Lvl 1 have a chnace against a level 6 or 7 for instance? If not then this is simply the levels system that WoW uses with no difference?
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    I participated in that thread and all I got from it was that it was different to WoW and it was more like Diablo2, which I've never played.

So, you meet up in town, you get a group and then when you leave town there's no-one else around? Seems a bit strange IMO... I said I am intrigued due to the vast amount of people saying they will be/are playing it, but I'm trying to understand what the point of the game is. With WoW there are a number of "goals" if you like:

Reaching level 60
    Doing high level instances
    Participating in PvP and/or raids and gaining honour
    Getting the best armor and weapons you can

You do this is a world populated by many others, friends and foe. If you have to run through an area with some high level mobs, other people around you "could" help you out by taking aggro from you, as far as I understand, this will never happen in GW as you're all alone, apart from your group, outside of town. That's the bit I don't understand and I wondered how it compared to WoW.

Ahh so you just wanted another chance to say why you dont want to play it. Right can we get back to people who have the game or who are getting it and want to form a guild then?

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Ahh so you just wanted another chance to say why you dont want to play it. Right can we get back to people who have the game or who are getting it and want to form a guild then?
    No, I didn't say that at all. I'm not trolling, I'm asking for someone to give me examples of how these games compare. If you can't do that, then don't reply.

Thanks
    Yes but this thread is about people wanting to set up a guild, a wow vs guild wars discussion should be done in another thread not this one like the one I linked to. Can we stay on topic.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Yes but this thread is about people wanting to set up a guild, a wow vs guild wars discussion should be done in another thread not this one like the one I linked to. Can we stay on topic.
    As I said, I already asked in that thread, but didn't get a helpful answer. By the looks of it, many people (including some I know play WoW already) are participating in this thread and are now beginning to play GW and so I just asked a quick question. All I wanted was a quick answer, not to be told to "go away".

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    David said it is fine to use the Hexus name but we have to wait until one of the mods can register it as its a hexus thing. Should get it sorted this weekend, ,I have enough gold to register to name so I will transfer it to whichever mod plays first.

The game is fantastic, yes their are loads of single missions but you of course need to join others to complete tasks and fight other guilds.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    As I said, I already asked in that thread, but didn't get a helpful answer. By the looks of it, many people (including some I know play WoW already) are participating in this thread and are now beginning to play GW and so I just asked a quick question. All I wanted was a quick answer, not to be told to "go away".
    Here are some comparisons I found on the GWonline.net forums:

WoW(World of Warcraft) vs. Guild Wars
    Ok. So you have WoW in one hand and you have GW in the other. What to play? What to do?

Personally i dont think there should even be a debate about this because GW wins all the medals. GW is still a Gameinprogress and is still running its BETA's while WoW, a highly anticipated game with more fans than players, is out on the market. Now tell me, why would WoW have to compete with a game thats not even done?
    Ill tell you why. WoW costs $50 in the store and a good $25-50 in online fees. THATS TOTAL I3UI_I_$#!T. GW is a revolution. FREE ONLINE MMORPG!!! But lets not get too excited. There are plenty of rational reasons why GW is better
    First of all,anyone who has played in any of the BETA events and has played WoW will tell you that the GW graphics are WAY better. Sure, WoW is impressive and it has a deep background and developed story, and making a mmorpg for the Warcraft Saga is like putting spinners on an Escalade, but what else does Blizzard have to offer? They did absolutly nothing with the mmorpg line (except for crafting items) But seriously folks, do you honestly think that the ability to craft items wont show up in EQ2? they thought of it too, and if they didnt, it tells you how far the MMORPG world would have gone without GW. WoW is nearly the same as all other games of WoWkind. Seriously, this is kind of what i expected from a company thats done great things: to screw up. What other mmorpg experience does Bliz have? Diablo? sure diablo was great, but im talking the modern day stuff, like EQ. I am a hardcore BLIZZARD fan, and i think that Blizzard should have stuck to strategy games.
    Gamplay is a big factor in this debate. You have long and tedious hours of nonstop action which gets your exp bar up 2%. Then you have travel time. Then more fighting to get your bar up 2%. Then you need to pay some precious $$$ for some potions. Then more 2% fighting. If this only bothers me, someone flame me. It takes hours just to go up one level. I dont want to spend hours trying to get up a rank or to have fun. With GW its a differnent story and those of you that have played it will agree. NONESTOP FUN. the only pitstops ull be making is to sell your items of craft a piece of armor. (which, btw, is now a simplified process and isnt overcomplicated by some c-rap that takes hours.) And better yet, levels dont matter. You can be level 5 and still go exploring and fighting with your lvl 20 buddies. Its all about SKILL SKILL SKILL the way every mmorpg should be. But dont despair, all you skilless people, GW provides a INSTANTLY FUN experience for even the most unexperienced gamer, something that WoW doesnt offer.
    Honstly i could sit here and ramble all day. Many people will agree with me and many wont. BUT when you add up all of the other posts in this thread and test both games without bias, you WILL be convinced that GW is better. I mean, the only reason people will continue to play WoW is because theyre hooked on a drug called WArcraft, and out of personall experience thats true. Maybe oneday if WoW becomes free, ill open a side account to play it while GW server is shut down for updates. ( oh wait i forgot, thatll never happen with GW will it?)

By 5Zigen
    Man if GW got in a fight with WoW... It would be pretty crazy. WoW would probably start saying weird things and being like... all theatrical and raising its hands up and down. GW would be like "WTF are you doing" and WoW would be all "I'm making a BLIZZARD" and about then GW would smack WoW because hes an idiot. And since WoW is so slow, GW would probably punch him in the face before he could do anything.

WoW would be all upset too, because he thinks he has some divine gaming powers, but since he just stole everything he was good at from mostly other mmo's he would be pretty easy to predict. He might try to kick GW or something, but GW would totally see it coming and grab his foot and break his knee. It would be pretty tough for WoW to fight back after that too.

GW would totally beat WoW's ass. Man I don't see how anyone would play WoW after reading that.

Seriously though, wow is just blizzards take on everquest. Crafting doesnt add depth, it adds a boring timesink. GW doesnt lack depth, WoW lacks any sense of competition or balance.
    Slightly biased by the sounds of it :/

I thinks what they are trying to say is that GW gives you more instant gratification than WoW, and GW is faster. Cabn't really confirm or deny as I've not played either
    Last edited by skuzgib; 06-05-2005 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks
    • wedge22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS H87i PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ 240GB SSD and Seagate 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX 780 OC
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SFX 450G
      • Case:
      • Fractal Node 304
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yamakasi 27" IPS and 1080p 100" Projector
      • Internet:
      • 50MB
    I think that I may buy this game on the way home if its in the shop.
    Main Rig: i2600k@4.3Ghz/ASUS P8P67 PRO/MSi GTX580/16GB Mushkin/HAF X/Noctua NH-D14

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Allen,

There you go a much more unbiased comparision.

http://gwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...s.Detail&id=20

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by Some idiot
    Man if GW got in a fight with WoW... It would be pretty crazy. WoW would probably start saying weird things and being like... all theatrical and raising its hands up and down. GW would be like "WTF are you doing" and WoW would be all "I'm making a BLIZZARD" and about then GW would smack WoW because hes an idiot. And since WoW is so slow, GW would probably punch him in the face before he could do anything.

Written by a young teenager perhaps?

Cheers TiG!

:edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Another idiot
    First of all,anyone who has played in any of the BETA events and has played WoW will tell you that the GW graphics are WAY better.
    I hate that arguement, it makes no sense. Having top notch graphics does not equal a good game. Gameplay makes a good game!!

Fools...

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Gotta agree about the grpahics in GW, I am running it on my 20' WS monitor at 1680 by 1050 with all the highest graphics settings on a 9800 pro and it looks amazing.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    There is nowhere within a 10 mile radius to me that actually has this, phoned everywhere and even tried to order it in from Woolworths, but they aint stocking it. Only one available is at Consett but its the special edition and they are charging £50 for it (just a tad to much for me at the min). Going to head to the Metrocenter tommorow and Game there should have it, other than that I'm going to have to wait till Thursday when the local games shop is getting it in (their delivery didnt turn up for some reason this morning )

Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst 12345671424344454 ... LastLast

Thread Information