Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard
    Actually, I think it's been running for about 12 months now. It has its full complement of aircraft (minus the 1 that crashed in January ) and the first operational squadron (3 Sqn) was formed in April. I believe they are supposed to take over QRA (Qucik Reaction Force) sometime next year. From then on I think the Tornado F3's (the fighter version) will be phased out for the Typhoons.
    Cheers for correcting me. This is what happens when your dad leaves the RAF, the quality of the info goes right down

Would your Lincolnshire location be that God forsaken hole Coningsby?

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Correct. It isn't too bad here. Certainly cannot complain about the quality of accommodation as it's the best in the forces at the moment. Cheap to at £50/month

Thanks
    Correct. It isn't too bad here. Certainly cannot complain about the quality of accommodation as it's the best in the forces at the moment. Cheap to at £50/month
    I used to live on Castlefields (opposite Tattershall castle) if it's still there, not bad for quarters but Clinton Park was rabbit hutches. Having BBMF at close hand was a bonus, nothing like a formation flying over the garden on a hot summers day.

My main problem was the incredible dullness of the scenery, they really could do with a hill or two just to liven things up

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    The Eurofighter is in operational service with RAF now, however it will not be used in combat service until 2007 when it will support the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. The other partner countries have already used it in 'combat' roles to support security operations in 2006 FIFA World Cup and Winter Olympics in Turin.

As said Tornado will contiue in operation for about 5 years as the Eurfighter is still undergoing heavy load tests (ie. how bombs can we pack on!).

Its sad how much I know about this thing, but working for one of the partner companies and being customer facing means the question comes up, oh, once a bloody week!

Also, despite what the papers keep claiming whenever they write about the Typhoon, it will NOT be going on any carriers; that will be the F35/JSF/JCA/whatever they're calling it this month...
    Its going to be...drum roll please...count the market research money...its a good un...

The F35 Lightining II

And in terms of the JSF and JCA those terms will stick on somehow with JSF being the multi-role plane and the JCA being the carrier variant.
    Last edited by GeorgeTuk; 27-07-2006 at 12:22 PM.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information