• Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Sigma 30mm f1.4

Hi,

I am in the market for a new prime to give me a 50mm equivalent on a crop sensor. I was considering the Canon 35mm f2 but then saw this Sigma:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-30mm-D...0mm+f1.4+canon

Obviously its faster and on reading reviews it seems to be well made and turns out nice images, just wanted to see what you guys thought? Also its available on Wex Photographic for only £260 so its only £50 more. Has anyone here used them?

I gather some people have had issues with front or back focussing and need to send the body and lens for calibration but thats not a problem (I will use mainly for video so I never use autofocus).

Thanks

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sigma 30mm f1.4

I had a look at one of these a while back, decided it was crap.

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/145-s...report?start=1

Also agree with me on that.

Whilst the canon has worse build quality, I'd be tempted to go with it, cheaper and better than the Sigma at f2.0 up! How often will you really need that extra DoF?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

3. Received thanks from:

george1979 (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Hmm, other reviews seemed fairly positive. Ah now I'm on the fence again.
    I was more thinking along the lines of better low light performance rather than DoF, although having the option is nice. The vignetting isn't much of an issue to me at 1.4 as I will be using it mostly for film and, If I need it wide open, the vignetting will be the least of my worries. In some cases it can actually look quite nice.

Its stills performance isn't my major concern (I realise it affects video too but its less noticeable AFAIK).
    I'm really just looking for a good 50mm equiv prime for filming events, weddings and so on. Having the extra low light ability can be a life saver when filming in clubs, bars, gigs etc.

Thanks

Well if you want better low light, get the hell of Canon! (this might get messy now I've said that)

I mean seriously, my prosumer body (ie £600) from 5 years ago, is smoked by the entry level body of last year. You can happily use a 1600 iso where a 400 iso would be too noisy. Nikon with the D7000 and Pentax with the K-5/K-30 really outshine in this.

Another thing that will get me flamed, is you don't want a big sensor..... Unless your wanting studio grade quality, go smaller. What is the kind of filming your wanting to do?

F1.4 will be useless for videoing most gigs/bars stuff, it will have no depth of field, everything will be out of focus.

F2.0 will probably be far too little as-well. I think you want to try some lenses before you spend your money, pay the premium for a shop, because frankly if your wanting to film in dark settings, I don't think the f1.4 will help, at all.

Now there is the rough rule that a lens is sweeter once your at 2 x min fstop, but the sigma is really rather crap, the canon would give you a better 3.5 than it. But the sigma is better built.

I swear I ranted about this before, that despite been awfully noisy I can get a 'better' picture on my Q (a very small interchangable lens camera) than I can only my proper DSLR, because when I need the DoF, the small sensor has it at f1.4, but the larger sensor does not.

I'm rambling a bit here, but I don't know what to advise, other than you don't want the sigma!

6. Received thanks from:

george1979 (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Haha I appreciate the rambling assistance!

I know other camera models tend to be better in low light but for filming there isn't a better overall set up than Canon. The support in terms of compatible lenses, rigs, software and so on is totally unmatched by any other manufacturer. Besides I have a Canon (600d - fairly large sensor!) and I ain't getting rid of it now (not to mention can't afford to). I film mainly corporate videos, weddings, events, gigs and other student films, music videos and the like. I've been using the 600d for almost 2 years and I'm really happy with the results. My next purchase is a Zoom H4n to record better sound, adding mics and other kit as I go (I just use a Rode Videomic Pro at the moment).

I'm starting to warm to your recommendation of the Canon. You are right that, at 1.4, it will likely be almost unusable in a lot of situations. I was probably falling into the trap of thinking more is better.
    I have used my 50mm 1.8 and it has been a life saver on occasion but mainly on a tripod and even then the focusing was a pain the the behind. Its not so much wanting to film in dark settings. Quite the opposite - I'd much rather have control over the lighting but, on occasions where I have no choice, I thought being able to let that extra light in might be useful.

Thanks

Well the reason I mention sensor size, is it is a pet peeve of mine that people who talk about it understand, quite frankly, jack poo about it.

I posted this a while back because someone had been excruciatingly haughty about it, whilst demonstrating a distinct lack of understanding of maths, physics and electrical engineering (I want to rant about blue some time, but thats another day, human eyes are amazing and bizzar). http://forums.hexus.net/photography-...alk-about.html
    Basically in that thread I was trying to talk about fstop and noise relationship between sensor sizes, then when you mix in the whole issue of I want a minimum DoF of xxx it becomes more perplexing. Basically smaller can be better. (up to a point because of wavelengths!)

This is why if ever I want low light, high dof video I pick up my Lumia 920 or Pentax Q (they are £100 from srs atm, check it out!) because in low light they work really well. I did an expirment with the Q here: http://forums.hexus.net/photography-...wned-dslr.html

If you are near a good shop to try, I think that is the best bet, simulate your usecase as best as you can. I am just worried that if you are wanting the extra light from f1.4, you will find f2.0 not much better.

What is it your currently use?

9. Received thanks from:

george1979 (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Yeah there are a lot of people who want large sensors, large MP count etc just for the sake of it - the megapixel count is a particularly annoying one for me, especially on phones, utterly pointless. I do know wee a bit about it (just finished my degree in TV production but I still have a lot to learn).

At the moment I use the 600d with kit 18-55mm EFS and a 50mm 1.8 EF. Will probably sell the 50mm once I buy the 35mm. I did have the pleasure of using a rented 30mm Carl Zeiss lens for a weekend and I miss it dearly, although it weighed more than the body! (if only I had a spare grand lying around).

I bought my 600d mainly as at has almost the same sensor and exactly the same video settings as the 7d except it had the advantage of a articulated screen (once you have it you don't want to do without it for video) and manual volume control. I know friends who bought the 7d for video work thinking, its a step up the ladder so it has to be better (it certainly is for stills). Once they used my 600d with the screen (not to mention lighter weight) they realised they'd wasted £800 which would have been better spent on glass. Same with the 5d - people think cos they saw it used on House they have to use it. A little research goes a long way. Anyway I'm rambling now.

I'm thinking of going for the Canon f2 now. Not worried about build quallity as I've had the nifty fifty for 2 years and its good as new - I try to look after my kit
    I'm doubting I'll see the benefit of 1.4 as you say and I could put the extra £50 towards other kit I need.
    Thanks a lot for your input, its been really helpful.

Oh and I've totally fallen for that wee Pentax Q! Jesus Christ its so cute - not a great reason to buy, I'll admit, but I am gonna have to get one nonetheless! The quality from it is impressive - I assume some were taken with the 3.2mm fish eye?

EDIT - I got all excited when you said £100! Its £200 so you now owe me £100
    Last edited by george1979; 30-04-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

Sigma do a 35 1.4 which is the dogs danglies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    EDIT - I got all excited when you said £100! Its £200 so you now owe me £100
    http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/910...y---SALE-.html

Would I lie to you

my complaint about q is lenses cost way too much, but if your near srs, have a play with one! It is a very limited device, but has some advantages.

All I can really re-iterate is the benefit of trying these things in person, trialling what you will be doing later with it once bought.

13. Received thanks from:

george1979 (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Just ordered the Canon 35mm. Praying it gets delivered before an event I have to film on Friday (damn bank holiday).

Thanks again for your help Animus

Thanks
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

i'd take the Sigma over the Canon any day of the week - but have fun with it

Thread Information