Thread: Photo and video backkup

OwP
    Registered+
    Thanks

Photo and video backkup

Hi all,
    its just occurred to me that I haven't really considered backing up photos and videos I have taken in the last few years. Total stored in spinning rust is about 500 GB.
    Option 1 is get a NAS drivee, shove it in the garage and hope that it survives any normal catastrophe. To be honest if the house burns down I would be more concerned about other stuff. Option 2. Online backup. I have FTTP to upload speeds are reasonable.
    Option 3. Backup to a USB drive and stash it at work.
    Really wondering what other people are doing? I mainly shoot RAW, but also fly drones and capture 4K video.

Cheers

Thanks

Re: Photo and video backkup

All 3 options would be best

I am currently doing option 2 and 3
    Jon

Thanks

An option I looked up to store personal photos in the past was M-disc... supposedly it's meant to last a lifetime (assuming the disc itself is not physically destroyed).
    I got an M-disc compatible DVD-drive, but never got round to using it for backup. Might have to stop being lazy!

Worth checking out, seems there's a Blu-ray version out as well that can store up to 25GB.
    They are quite pricy but from what I saw in my research (4 years ago I think it was), seemed to do what they said it would.

This was the drive I bought, seems it's still available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01878ZQ8W
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks

I have a large photo collection assembled over many years and am now digitising photographic stock (albeit slowly). I backup to a NAS drive and a DLNA device (useful for TV viewing) as well as occasional transfers offsite on USB. I have also got images stored in one drive. Bit OTT but once the images are stored it is only adding updates which generally takes no time at all. I suspect I could automate it but.......

Registered+
    Thanks

All I can say is do something! All 3 sound like a good idea. I currently just have them copied across 2 drives but am thinking about a cloud solution that won't hurt the £££s I have about 2TB worth of pictures. I lost about 2TB of pictures a couple of years ago when GTA decided to change the installer and for some reason corrupted 2 of my HDDs in the process of reinstalling GTA Tried my best to recover the pictures but because the corrupted installer essentially kept deleting and restoring all the data on the drives I lost years worth of data. Very frustrating/sad. Dont be like me

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

For backups, I'm of the opinion that an offline backup is more important than a geographically separate one (for me, that's a USB hard drive that I plug in once a week). Ransomware (or GTA) can't mess with a drive that isn't plugged in!

Thread Information