Registered+
    Thanks
    • holdaway's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5N-E SLi
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6420
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb named RAM (2 types, I forget which, tho)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb external
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 8800GTS 320
      • PSU:
      • 650watt
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 20.1"
      • Internet:
      • BeThere, running at ~10mbps

SATA cables for an HX520W PSU

Morning all,
    I'm converting an old PC into a media centre, but am having some difficulty with the PSU, for which I've unfortunately misplaced the spare cables. From what I can see, it takes 'type 3' cables (CP-8920116), but I've found differing suggestions of exactly what I need to get.

The PSU has 5 x 5-pin sockets and 2 x 6-pin sockets (as per the image here: https://www.overclockersclub.com/rev...id=1&pid=25241).

The power cable I currently have plugged in (and is fully working) is a 5-pin to (2x) SATA, and I have loose cables that are 5-pin to (3x) SATA and 6-pin to (3x) SATA (stamped with 34-0 00385). The former seems to work and when plugging in a HDD it's picked up by BIOS, but seems to cause an issue when booting Unraid (e.g. it won't boot!). I'm reluctant to try the 6-pin cable as I don't want to risk damaging the HDD or PSU. I've tested the HDD in a cradle on my main PC and it seems to work fine.

I suppose my main question is whether the different-shaped sockets are intended for different things - can I use the 6-pin cables safely? Also, is there a reason that the 5-pin to (3x) SATA power cables wouldn't play nice?

I realise that this is a bit of a splurge of information, so happy to answer any questions that help clarify things!

Spreadie

Re: SATA cables for an HX520W PSU

6 pin to SATA is what Corsair's newer PSUs used. On your model the 6 pin sockets are for pcie power iirc. SATA and PCIE both use 3.3 and 5v but there's no guarantee the pinouts are the same.

You can check and rewire if necessary, but that carries its own risk.

Unfortunately, there's very little industry standardisation or even accepted common practise on the PSU-side power pinouts.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • holdaway's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5N-E SLi
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6420
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb named RAM (2 types, I forget which, tho)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb external
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 8800GTS 320
      • PSU:
      • 650watt
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 20.1"
      • Internet:
      • BeThere, running at ~10mbps

Re: SATA cables for an HX520W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    6 pin to SATA is what Corsair's newer PSUs used. On your model the 6 pin sockets are for pcie power iirc. SATA and PCIE both use 3.3 and 5v but there's no guarantee the pinouts are the same.

You can check and rewire if necessary, but that carries its own risk.

Unfortunately, there's very little industry standardisation or even accepted common practise on the PSU-side power pinouts.
    Thank you - absolutely finding this issue, doubly-frustrating to see that sockets have changed purpose between PSUs from the same manufacturer as it seems that later Corsair PSUs use the 6-pin format for SATA power! I've taken the plunge and used the 5-pin (3x) SATA connector cable and all seems to be working fine - the non-booting issue was a problem in the BIOS rather than to do with the PSU, fortunately.

Thread Information