Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside of a Sony Vaio Flip 15 (in case it's of use to anyone!)

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Inside of a Sony Vaio Flip 15 (in case it's of use to anyone!)

Thoughts:

Total of 10 screws to remove from rear of case (4 visible, 2 under riased rear feet, 1 per side - different screw size so keep them seperate, 4 under front rubber grip bar) Front rubber bar was easily removed by pushing a small flat head screw driver underneath it along the length and slowly teasing it off. Comes away without much issue and tape remained on the rubber strip for re-application. The rubber feet have raised plastic support within their depth, I removed this by turning the laptop upside down (front edge facing you) then slowly pushing foot towards you so it twists off, this required more force than the strip but it eventually gives without issue. Tape remained in position (some above screw) so needs slight cleaning once screw was removed but not a big issue.

RAM easily upgradeable, both slots instantly accessible
    Hard Drive probably upgradeable but more difficult due to fragile wires than need removing prior to removal
    Battery easily changed
    CPU should also be upgradeale if supported Haswell CPUs become available

2. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (30-11-2013),lodore (30-11-2013)

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Re: Inside of a Sony Vaio Flip 15 (in case it's of use to anyone!)

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Thoughts:

Total of 10 screws to remove from rear of case (4 visible, 2 under riased rear feet, 1 per side - different screw size so keep them seperate, 4 under front rubber grip bar) Front rubber bar was easily removed by pushing a small flat head screw driver underneath it along the length and slowly teasing it off. Comes away without much issue and tape remained on the rubber strip for re-application. The rubber feet have raised plastic support within their depth, I removed this by turning the laptop upside down (front edge facing you) then slowly pushing foot towards you so it twists off, this required more force than the strip but it eventually gives without issue. Tape remained in position (some above screw) so needs slight cleaning once screw was removed but not a big issue.

RAM easily upgradeable, both slots instantly accessible
    Hard Drive probably upgradeable but more difficult due to fragile wires than need removing prior to removal
    Battery easily changed
    CPU should also be upgradeale if supported Haswell CPUs become available

It is useful to me since we are selling some of these at work so It is good to know unlike some laptops it is somewhat easy to get in to.
    Last edited by lodore; 30-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks

Just wondering about something here, on the Sony Canada site, the Flip 15 (Fit 15A) is listed as having 3 options for RAM. This is copy paste direct from their website:

4GB (4GB fixed onboard x1) DDR3L-1600MHz
    8GB (4GB fixed onboard x1) DDR3L-1600MHz
    12GB (4GB + 8GB) DDR3L-1600MHz

It's confusing because in your image, clearly there is NO fixed, onboard RAM slots. You've got two very accessible slots. Even more confusing, is that your RAM is 1333 it seems, and yet this site is showing 1600...EVEN MORE confusing, is that the indication showing PC12800 means it's 1600MHz, yet the label says 1333!

I'm just trying to make the best decision possible. I absolutely need a machine with 16GB RAM, and an SSD. Canada's site does not offer 16GB RAM, and America's site does not offer an SSD with the 16GB RAM model.

What I'd love to do is simply buy a Canada model with bare minimum RAM and HDD, and then replace them myself...but their site showing "fixed onboard" memory has me really stumped.

Also just curious, but have you attempted removing the HDD in that Flip 15? Wondering how easy it is/isn't.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

I did try removing the hard drive, but didn't have much success pulling out the connections for the ribbons above it. Since I wasn't actually replacing the hard drive I gave up potentially damaging it. However I did remove all the cage screws without issue. If you look to the bottom left corner of the drive there's 4 screws in an L formation - you have to remove the two upper most screws and the some grey piece of metal comes away as well as a miniature fixing bracket.

I get the feeling while quite delicate and fiddly with enough motivation and patience the hard drive shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

Thanks

I did try removing the hard drive, but didn't have much success pulling out the connections for the ribbons above it. Since I wasn't actually replacing the hard drive I gave up potentially damaging it. However I did remove all the cage screws without issue. If you look to the bottom left corner of the drive there's 4 screws in an L formation - you have to remove the two upper most screws and the some grey piece of metal comes away as well as a miniature fixing bracket.

I get the feeling while quite delicate and fiddly with enough motivation and patience the hard drive shouldn't be too difficult to replace.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Thanks

To "cptwhite_uk" - Hi.. Thanks a lot for your post. It will be very helpful for many people. I think to buy this model and would like to know how much is it upgradeable. Do you know something for the 13 inch model?

To "LorneK" - Hi.. In the United States Of America's web site of "Sony", there is options to customize 15 inch model with 16Gb "RAM" but only with 256Gb or 512Gb "SSD". With 128Gb "SSD" there is only up to 12Gb "RAM". I can not understand, why this is like this. I examine the United States Of America's web site of "Sony" every day and few times I start an "On Line Help Chat" with "Sony Customer Support" and every time thay told me that the "RAM" of "Sony Vaio Flip" in fixed, not removable. And something else.. I am not 100% sure, but near 95%, before few weeks I saw in customize options of "Sony Vaio Flip 15" an option to choose between 2 "Wi-Fi" cards - one with "N" support and another, with "AC" support. Now, there is no this option
    Last edited by tuningmania; 15-12-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forget something..

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

You should treat all 3 versions of the Vaio flip as seperate machines. I believe the 13" has fully soldered RAM, the 14" might have access to 1 removeable RAM slot, the 15" as you can see can access both. Personally I would just buy the 4Gb and upgrade yourself if you plan on getting the 15

Thanks

To "cptwhite_uk" - You are right.. I am from Bulgaria and here the price is crazy. A Friend of mine is now in United States Of America until February 2014 and I wondering to ask him to bring me the "Sony Vaio Flip 15" from there. I will have not Guarantee (there is one year Guarantee but only for United States Of America) and I can upgrade quietly after this one year

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Cool whereabouts in Bulgaria, my wife is Bulgarian Family is from Ruse, but I have also visited Sofia and Varna

Thanks

To "cptwhite_uk" - I just send you message on "Skype". I hope you do not mind

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

No problem with you sending but I've not received anything (cptwhite1 on skype?)

Thanks

You should treat all 3 versions of the Vaio flip as seperate machines. I believe the 13" has fully soldered RAM, the 14" might have access to 1 removeable RAM slot, the 15" as you can see can access both. Personally I would just buy the 4Gb and upgrade yourself if you plan on getting the 15
    I was getting all sorts of conflicting info from Sony about this, and after looking at prices on Newegg, their 16GB RAM upgrade wasn't terribly expensive in comparison, saves me from voiding my warranty, and saves me from making sure I've bought the correct low voltage DIMMs with the correct specs...because even the memory modules are confusing to me. In your shot, it says PC12800 AND 1333 at the same time. That is a big contradiction since PC12800 = 1600MHz.

Anyway, I just wanted to avoid the headaches even if it means waiting until I'm in the US to get my laptop.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

You can buy the RAM sticks off ebay from people who has removed them from new systems, just search for M471B5173QHO-YKO

It's definitely 1600Mhz, not sure what the 1333 on the stick is in reference too.

Thanks

To "cptwhite_uk" - Hi.. Yes.. I just send second message to "cptwhite1" on "Skype". Damn "Microsoft" - they will ruin "Skype". Try to find me. My name in "Skype" is: "w"w"w.tuningmania.o"r"g" (without 6 quotation marks) (like my web site, that is not working from few years)..

Thanks

Thoughts:

Could you describe the steps you used to pry up the cover after all screws are removed? I'm having trouble with both hinge areas, and with the area between the power button and the headphone jack.

How much force is needed to pry up those areas? Should I be pulling out as well as up? Are there clips in particular spots that must be released?

About the headphone jack in particular: is the ring visible from the outside attached to the cover or to the motherboard? In other words, does the cover need to be pulled away from that ring, or is the ring part of the cover? (I can't quite tell from your photo.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Yes the left and right hinges at the rear were the last bits to come away and like you I was a little hesitant. I used a thin flat head screw driver to lift (like you do with most of the sides) and pull out (i.e. using the screw driver as a "see-saw") one of the sides till it came forward of the ports/inputs nested within it. I can't remember which side but check them both out, it's the one that seemed like it required less work. This eventually unhooked and lifted fully. Once this was released the base easily slid the other way removing the plastic collar from the ports on the opposite side. Be gentle and patient but this method worked for me.

Here's the screw driver size I used:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information