Anyone that owns an MSI GT72/S or GT80/S was sold their notebook with an advertised promise of upgradable MXM GPU's. MSI marketed this and charged a premium for it.

Pascal is released and MSI advise that their loyal customers that own these 'upgradable' notebooks will not be able to upgrade as they cannot make the Pascal technology fit in the existing GT72/S or GT80/S.

MSI rolls out the alternative, the 'Trade in, Upgrade' scheme. This scheme features customers sending their existing notebooks to MSI, MSI asses the resale value of the laptop and then offer a discount towards a new GT series notebook with Pascal GPU. So, MSI offered me a GT73 with GTX1080 (GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-035UK) for £1,424 and my laptop.

Now if the MXM upgrade had been available, the cost to me would be around £500 (£1,000 to buy a MXM GTX1080, available online already, less £500 that I could sell my GTX980m for).

MSI want to charge me nearly a grand for components that I do not need to upgrade because they cannot provide what they advertised.

For some reason the tech press is not covering this and it is time we made our voices heard.

See forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gt72-gt72s-and-gt80-gt80s-owners-gpu-upgrade-discussion.795236 for further details.