Thread: Zoostorm 1070 build

Registered+
    Thanks

Zoostorm 1070 build

Hi chaps, not been on the scene for a long time and looking to get a desktop. I Was contemplating building which i still am but i saw this which seems a good deal. Anyone with any experiece of zoostorm builds? How easy are they to mod if necessary?

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit
    Intel® Core™ i5-6400 CPU (2.7GHZ) @3.3GHZ
    8GB Crucial DDR4 RAM 2133
    1TB hard drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1070 8GB dedicated graphics
    Optical disc drive CD / DVD
    Gigabit LAN
    7.1 Channel Audio
    Ports: 4x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, VGA, HDMI, DVI-D, Ethernet, PS-2
    All for 799!

Not sure the usb port count is correct, wouldnt suprise me as the website its off is liable to do that sort of thing and the pics show many more. Would consider building something similar but not sure on decent motherboards or coolers?

It could be used for VR, some gaming Streaming movies etc to the tv.

Thanks guys

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Zoostorm 1070 build

Does that include Windows 10? Looks to be not too bad a price TBH.

Registered+
    Thanks

It does! Its 899 but you get 100 cashback. Seems like best price around gor a prebuild. If i got it and wanted to add an ssd for OS + games , can i move the os over to it?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Zoostorm tend to hit budget by going for lower-end OEM components whilst sticking to standards, so you don't get the best of everything but it will be an absolutely bog-standard ATX build, that means that everything will be replaceable/upgradeable should the fancy take you.

I assume it's this build you're talking about? Looks to me like it's probably hitting the budget by having an entry level motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, and of course only a 1TB spinning rust HDD (no SSD). I personally don't trust the pictures on that site as the GPU outputs (DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP) don't match the refence 1070 or any of the partner models I've seen pictures of (the DVI-I is particularly standout). As such it's a bit of a lottery as to what ports you'd get on the PC.

If your main - perhaps only - use for the computer is playing games it's not a bad way to split the budget - the GPU is by far the most important thing when it comes to gaming performance. OTOH, if you think you'll use it much for anything other than gaming, you might find the lack of an SSD and single channel RAM might be more of an issue. Those are things that may make the computer less responsive and less usable on a day-to-day basis.

However, as I said, the components will all be bog standard, so you'll always have the option of upgrading/expanding down the line, and it's a reasonable price for the base spec

5. Received thanks from:

jam163 (21-08-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks

So everything should be upgradeable easily? More ram and a ssd shouldnt break the bank. Would adding them void warranty do you know? Cheers mate you have been very helpful!
    Last edited by jam163; 21-08-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks

Zoostorm have serious questions based around quality. I purchased 60 tablets from them for a client. Out the 6 they turned on 4 had problems. All returned.

Tread carefully.

Registered+
    Thanks

Seems like a good price for the hardware.
    Had zoostorm stuff in the past and was pleasantly surprised with the brands used when it was opened up despite it only being a small cost

Thanks

im sure you could build a better system for that money with better componenets. there power supplies are always crap too.

Registered+
    Thanks

Its a tough one as the parts are OEM (lower spec than retail) and the case / PSU will be on the budget end. But it will work and there is a warranty. Sure its not going to be a super efficient PSU and it might be slightly more noisy, and the stock cooler on the CPU will be OK. But a self build will cost more, and involve more work (e.g. updating the BIOS, checking drivers) Zoostorm will make lots of these units so they will test the BIOS / Drivers etc. As its all standard components you can replace things if needed or if they fail after warranty.

I'd look and dropping in an SSD for the boot drive if fast start ups matter
    I'd replace the PSU if you plan to leave the unit on 24x7
    I'd replace the PSU and Cooler if noise is a concern
    I'd self build if you plan to keep the unit more than 5 years as its not worth buying this and them upgrade more than 3 or 4 core parts!
    W10 Home is free for OEMs like Zoostorm(Zero cost) we have to pay. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...and-who-doesnt
    If you want to see what a self build will cost just go to Scan or Ebuyer and fill you basket you will find the cost is around 20-30 per cent more (OEM Vs Retail and bulk pricing) and Windows licencing will push this too you have to pay, OEMS do not. sure your self build will be better quality but the budget end stuff today is very capable as automation and volumes have push quality up across low and mid range boards and parts.

Really depends on what you want from the unit and how you use it and you tolerance for work building / debugging a self build Vs this turnkey solution. Sound like you wanted to know if this was too good to be true, I think its a keen offer. With the pound falling this was made with Pre Brexit parts The USB ports make sense for this price bracket the high end mobo have more Again a good powered USB 3 hub can be added in seconds if you need it and USB2 hubs are cheap as chips.
    Last edited by frownbreaker; 01-11-2016 at 01:40 AM. Reason: licencing link, costs more to self build

Thread Information