Thread: Time to upgrade needs new gaming rig

Thanks

Time to upgrade needs new gaming rig

So I’ve had my old system for a while now and it’s served me well but it may be time to upgrade

I’m currently running this not sure how out of date this actually is.

I7 6700k @ 4GHZ
    32GB RAM
    GTX 980 Ti
    500GB SS Drive

its quite dated now so would like to upgrade but no idea what to go for looking to spend around £1500 max.
    Would like to run the latest games on ultra settings

Also wondering if I could sell my old one but no idea of value on that?

Could any one recommend a decent pre built system please?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Time to upgrade needs new gaming rig

The main problem is the lack of stock,meaning many of the AMD CPUs are either out of stock or are at stupid prices. Intel CPUs are more likely to be in stock and are closer to RRP. The situation is even worse with GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia.

Ideally I would try and wait another 3~6 months since things have got really bad,even in account of it being this time of year!

TBF,your Core i7 6700K might be OK for another year or so,and you could try getting hold of a faster GPU,like an RTX3060TI(as long as the PSU is OK). What is the speed of the DDR4??

If you want a new build,it looks you could get a Ryzen 5 3600/3600X and perhaps a RTX3060TI for around £1400~£1500:
    https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-...3020000020201/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The main problem is the lack of stock,meaning many of the AMD CPUs are either out of stock or are at stupid prices. Intel CPUs are more likely to be in stock and are closer to RRP. The situation is even worse with GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia.

Ideally I would try and wait another 3~6 months since things have got really bad,even in account of it being this time of year!

TBF,your Core i7 6700K might be OK for another year or so,and you could try getting hold of a faster GPU,like an RTX3060TI(as long as the PSU is OK). What is the speed of the DDR4??

If you want a new build,it looks you could get a Ryzen 5 3600/3600X and perhaps a RTX3060TI for around £1400~£1500:
    https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-...3020000020201/
    Thanks man so much for this
    I had no idea stock was an issue?

What’s the deal with AMD v Intel?

I’ve always gone intel so no idea how the AMD compares.

How much more powerful is that GPU compared to the one I have?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kinkladze10 View Post
    Thanks man so much for this
    I had no idea stock was an issue?

What’s the deal with AMD v Intel?

I’ve always gone intel so no idea how the AMD compares.

How much more powerful is that GPU compared to the one I have?
    Zen3 is faster than Intel for gaming,and Zen2 is slightly slower core for core than Intel for gaming. However,in pre-built PC the Core i5 is still a premium,even though at retail this isn't the case anymore!! The GTX980TI was around 10% slower than a GTX1070 at launch(FE models):
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/n...dition/35.html

Even CCL Computers says you need to order the build by the 7th to get it bt Christmas!

I also just realised that build I linked you to costs nearly £1600 with a copy of Windows 10. This is just under your budget:
    https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-...0020000020201/

With this one if you check the Ryzen 9 3900 12 core option,MSI B550 PRO-A motherboard,500GB SN550 SSD and a Gold PSU is around £1520:
    https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...weekly-sales-I

This one if configured with the Ryzen 5 5600X 6 core option and a Gold PSU is around £1530:
    https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...eekly-sales-IV

It will be faster than the 12 core in pure gaming,and faster than the Intel 6 core equivalent too. However,the 12 core option will have more longevity IMHO,even if it looses now in certain games.

The CCL Computers builds do tend to cost more,as the warranty is 3 years collect and return. Cyberpower PC is better value,but the standard warranty is not as extensive,but you can upgrade it at additional cost.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

The existing rig isn't that bad. Your 6700K is almost the performance of a Ryzen 3600: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

I agree with Cat that low core counts are a bad long term purchase right now, but given that you already have it I suspect you can squeeze another year out of it before you need an upgrade.

That 980ti will be holding you back though in comparison, and a 3060ti would be a nice speed bump and would be the thing you most feel in one of the upgrades above. So, if you are OK with a GPU swap and can find stock (Currys had stock this morning for a short time for £450 so cards are tricking through). You don't mention resolution, but a 1440p freesync monitor might also be worth a look.

But given GPU stock problems, if you can't find a GPU I would get an Oculus Quest 2 and rock out to Beat Saber in the meantime. Your existing rig should play Half Life Alyx if you get the link cable. You need to be OK with a Facebook login for an Oculus though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The existing rig isn't that bad. Your 6700K is almost the performance of a Ryzen 3600: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

I agree with Cat that low core counts are a bad long term purchase right now, but given that you already have it I suspect you can squeeze another year out of it before you need an upgrade.

That 980ti will be holding you back though in comparison, and a 3060ti would be a nice speed bump and would be the thing you most feel in one of the upgrades above. So, if you are OK with a GPU swap and can find stock (Currys had stock this morning for a short time for £450 so cards are tricking through). You don't mention resolution, but a 1440p freesync monitor might also be worth a look.

But given GPU stock problems, if you can't find a GPU I would get an Oculus Quest 2 and rock out to Beat Saber in the meantime. Your existing rig should play Half Life Alyx if you get the link cable. You need to be OK with a Facebook login for an Oculus though.
    Thanks I use a widescreen acer predator
    If I upgrade the gpu and am playing games on ultra will I see a difference with a newer GPU or will I just get more frames ?

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by kinkladze10 View Post
    Thanks I use a widescreen acer predator
    If I upgrade the gpu and am playing games on ultra will I see a difference with a newer GPU or will I just get more frames ?
    The GPU sets the quality and the frame rate.
    The CPU limits the frame rate.

So with a really weak CPU and a top of the range GPU you can get a really pretty slide show, but with a really fast CPU and a weak GPU you can get lots of low quality frames.

Your CPU isn't that bad, and could support a better GPU.

8. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (06-12-2020)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

The GPU sets the quality and the frame rate.
    The CPU limits the frame rate.

So with a really weak CPU and a top of the range GPU you can get a really pretty slide show, but with a really fast CPU and a weak GPU you can get lots of low quality frames.

Your CPU isn't that bad, and could support a better GPU.
    that is one of the best summaries I've heard in a long time!

10. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (07-12-2020)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    that is one of the best summaries I've heard in a long time!
    Thanks, but I did type that in haste and realised after I went to bed I hadn't actually got as far as to answer the question

So to finish the post...

A 3060ti (or better if you are comfortable spending the money) would give you more frames and an ability to turn up settings, including playing with ray tracing settings. One big bonus is that if I remember the 980ti doesn't do variable refresh rates, but your Acer Predator monitor will be either Gsync or Freesync depending on which model, but both are supported by Nvidia's 3000 series cards. If your monitor is a Freesync model, then you do have the option of getting one of the new AMD cards if you can find any stock. There will always be games where Ultra is just too much for any current hardware, and variable refresh rate makes those smoother (though your high fixed refresh rate will already be helping).

OFC we are trying to save you money here with our 3060ti suggestions. If that is a £2000 200Hz monitor you are playing on, then you probably want a 3080 which is between £700 and £800 if you can find stock at non scalper prices. Curry's had some on Saturday, stock seems to be steadily turning up so I wouldn't pay ebay prices to get a card with dubious warranty.

Using this chart as a rough guide: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...x-980-ti.c2724

the 3060ti is nearly twice the performance of the 980ti, the 3080 they rate at 278% so close to three times your current speed.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 07-12-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks

Thanks, but I did type that in haste and realised after I went to bed I hadn't actually got as far as to answer the question

So to finish the post...

A 3060ti (or better if you are comfortable spending the money) would give you more frames and an ability to turn up settings, including playing with ray tracing settings. One big bonus is that if I remember the 980ti doesn't do variable refresh rates, but your Acer Predator monitor will be either Gsync or Freesync depending on which model, but both are supported by Nvidia's 3000 series cards. If your monitor is a Freesync model, then you do have the option of getting one of the new AMD cards if you can find any stock. There will always be games where Ultra is just too much for any current hardware, and variable refresh rate makes those smoother (though your high fixed refresh rate will already be helping).

OFC we are trying to save you money here with our 3060ti suggestions. If that is a £2000 200Hz monitor you are playing on, then you probably want a 3080 which is between £700 and £800 if you can find stock at non scalper prices. Curry's had some on Saturday, stock seems to be steadily turning up so I wouldn't pay ebay prices to get a card with dubious warranty.

Using this chart as a rough guide: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...x-980-ti.c2724

the 3060ti is nearly twice the performance of the 980ti, the 3080 they rate at 278% so close to three times your current speed.
    Thanks so much i think I’ll wait till the stock levels improves in a few months

Thread Information