• Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix MPG341QR // Dell Dell S2421H
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Laptop & eGPU Setup

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to build a new setup to replace my old 2012 desktop (3570k / 16gb RAM / 980 Ti), this time around I’d much prefer the option to have mobility as the centre of my setup (as much as I love having the desktop, work and r/l make a laptop a much better solution), in an effort to retain some of my existing setup I thought it might be a good idea to combine the portability of the laptop with a “docking” eGPU setup on my computer desk and putting my 34” 3440x1440 monitor and GTX 980Ti to use, fortunately I’m able to connect to mains power at home/office so battery life although nice isn’t a necessity, decent screen accuracy is a must due to the work I’m looking to do and a slim bezel would be welcomed. Although I would use the setup with an additional Keyboard/Mouse a decent trackpad and Keyboard would still be appreciated as it will receive a lot of on-the-go usage where I might not have access to my usual desktop setup.

My main computer usage is centred around Photo/Video/Design work and also Gaming (FPS / RTS / RPG / MMO type stuff...). I have a budget of around £2000-£3000 and all other requirements (desk, chair and peripherals) are covered, obviously any savings I can make without overly compromising the system are welcomed (additionally I don’t see the point in paying £3000 for a setup that gives less than 10% improvement over a £2500 one - hopefully you get what I mean, “value to performance” I guess).

Would anyone be able to recommend a laptop and eGPU enclosure that would suit my needs and budget?

TD;LR - £2000-3000 budget to buy productivity/gaming laptop and eGPU enclosure setup solution.

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

Re: Laptop & eGPU Setup

Not sure I understand - why would you need to spend that much? you already have an external monitor. In the US, $1000 will get you a GTX 1060 6GB + I7-8750H + 16GB if you pick it well. You really need more than that?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Laptop & eGPU Setup

I'd say get a Gtx 1080 as the E-Gpu and get the Razer blade stealth or the blade 15 and the Razer Core X I heard they work well!

Thanks

Laptop eGPU Setup

I recently purchased a new laptop that has an Intel 9560 wireless card in it. I also upgraded the internet at my house from a 300 Mbps plan to a gigabit plan. I've been using an older Asus RT-AC1900 for a few years as an access point I have a separate router running pfSense. It has served me well, but I'm thinking I should probably upgrade to a more robust wireless router or access point if I want to take full advantage of my new internet speed and hardware. Any suggestions?

Thread Information