Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which ultra-portable?

Thanks

Re: Which ultra-portable?

However the only options for data collection are basic or advanced so if you get a Windows device download o & o shutup and disable all the data collection.
    Jon

2. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Nobody seems very keen on the Dell XPS13 (the new one) but nobody's said why? Is it the machine, or bad experiences with Dell?
    we have two generations of those 9350 and 9360 and we're both very happy with them. IMO you want max ram, max nvme, and the i5 processor would be my preference as I find the i7 throttles like mad when the iris graphics try to kick in. There are numerous threads reporting Dell have overdone it with the TIM such that disassembly and judicious use of arctic silver and a few heat pads can radically improve things. Now I'm out of warranty I'm going to give it a whirl, but not until lockdown ends. We are reliant on the webcam in these things for all our web meetings. Can't risk borking them atm!

The new xps13 went all white and they did something that got some stick, was it dropping a few ports? I can't recall now. The new xps15 looks promising though - always has provided you're happy with a bit more weight and size. Having travelled with my XPS13 - and indeed hiked for several days with it, I can honestly say I wouldn't swap it. I just need to improve the throttling. IPS screen, colour reproduction is excellent - and you can calibrate it. Great for photo-editing on the go.

oh and make sure you get win10 pro, not home. False economy that. Always has been.

4. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (04-05-2020)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Interesting. It was partly the i7 and 4k that attracted me. And 16GB. It put me in the £1600-1700-ish range.

Gotta go out now, but you've made me think about that.
    If you need an i7 and 4K then perfect! The Dell 4K display is pricey/power hungry, but the quality/colour accuracy is great. Just do have that think about usage.

6. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Nobody seems very keen on the Dell XPS13 (the new one) but nobody's said why? Is it the machine, or bad experiences with Dell?
    One of my friends has the Broadwell or Skylake version and its still working perfectly fine after 4 years or so. One thing with Dell computers is parts tend to be usually OK to find.

But there are so many more competitors on the market now,so there are a lot more options now. However,Dell tends to be a safe choice,as they tend to do what is said on the tin.

I do, yeah. I helped set up a mwchine one friend sold to another, who then decided it wssn't needed and I ended up with it at a good price. A Dell 5000-series Inspiron, 6200U. 8GB, 1TB HD, and for the desktop function, a 17" screen. But it's more luggable than portable.

This machine is more about sitting in bed, or out in the garden, or .... well, wherever.

Besides, I've always gone for utilitarian, value for money, suitable for need, etc. This time, it's more of a self-treat and I fancy a decently powerful but slim and sexy device that's more indulgent than sheer pragmatism.

I also intend to thin down my collection of scanners, printers, etc and the dozen or so misc. PC's which are used less and less, if at all. i.e. get about half my home office space back.
    My current laptop is a Dell Latitude.Mine was ex-business,so it was relatively cheap,but has a MIL-STD 810G tested chassis with carbon fibre reinforcements. It might not seem a big thing in practice,but with these kind of laptops if you intend to go anywhere,they only need basic protection,as usually the screen housings tend to be strengthened. Its why chassis build is more important for me than appearance.

It's why that last class of ultraportables might be worth a look at,because they are built with these specifications in mind - they cost more but that extra chassis strength is useful. The HP Dragonfly and Lenovo X1 do appear to be the best rated ultraportables due to this. Also both have solid keyboards as they are true business laptops - only thing is they are both in the middle of getting refreshes,so you can only buy the previous Whiskey Lake versions,but they are getting updated. OTH,you might be able to get some better deals on the older versions too.

But as I said before,the Zen2 CPUs are a game changer,as you are literally doubling the cores over what Intel can do,and the CPUs are very efficient. If you can wait a few months,we should get some more models being launched with the CPU. Pocket powerhouse comes to mind!

Interesting. It was partly the i7 and 4k that attracted me. And 16GB. It put me in the £1600-1700-ish range.

Gotta go out now, but you've made me think about that.
    The only problem I noticed with the 4K screen options,is battery life tends to be worse compared to the lower resolution options in the same range. However,I would be also looking at things such as contrast and brightness if you intend to be using the laptop outside. Sometimes the 1080p versions can have better contrast and brightness.

Also another problem is many companies use glossy screens - these are a problem outdoors due to reflections,so its worth checking what models do matt screens. For example the Lenovo X1 has 1080p and 1440p matt options and 4K glossy options. The glossy option is HDR,if that floats your boat.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-05-2020 at 12:32 PM.

8. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (04-05-2020)

Thanks

Another wrinkle has occurred - a friend has a barely used MS Surface Pro, which I think, is a Pro 4, and various add-ons. We haven't got as far as price and it isn't what I was intending, but I suspect it'll do everything I need. Not sure yet of exact spec.

All these options are making my head hurt.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

A capable machine but a tablet in every sense of the word, you need the keyboard addon to make it like a laptop but I am sure you know that already.

There are various versions of the Pro 4 starting from a .9Ghz processor, yes you read that right Up to an i7

Its a useable device but a tablet none the less
    Jon

11. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Another wrinkle has occurred - a friend has a barely used MS Surface Pro, which I think, is a Pro 4, and various add-ons. We haven't got as far as price and it isn't what I was intending, but I suspect it'll do everything I need. Not sure yet of exact spec.

All these options are making my head hurt.
    If its a good price,and the battery isn't shot it would be an option! But I still think if you are not in a rush,the Ryzen 4000 series based ultraportables are worth a wait for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    If its a good price,and the battery isn't shot it would be an option! But I still think if you are not in a rush,the Ryzen 4000 series based ultraportables are worth a wait for.
    The extra bitscertainly include the KB, but also docking station for port ecpansion, etc. I think there might have been an external optical drive, but my memory may be faulty there.

I'm not in a huge rush, Cat, as in 'this week'. But months? I don't want to wait that long, and the problem with forthfoming models, especially in a Cov-19 world, is that it's a "how long is a piece of string" situation.

Also, brand new release = premium price and I'm a tight git.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

@Jonj

For some of my needs, a tablet is probably ideal. I did even think of a 10" tablet. But it's just a bit too limiting, especially typing longer things on an on-screen KB.

This is part of my hesitation - working out in my head exactly I want, and what will fulfil it. Which is why bouncing it back and forth with you guys is so very helpful. It's helping me narrow down 'want' versus 'need', and focus on that rather than the shiny, glittering new toy of just buying the XPS13.

Thanks

I have a Samsung 10" tablet and I really enjoy using it, its perfect for carrying around the home, reading the news etc. As with most things it will always come down to what you want to do with it. The surface has a lot of expandable options making it a great all in one workhorse.

Maybe a shot in the dark but any chance your friend could let you try out the surface first to see if it something you could see youself using?
    Jon

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The extra bitscertainly include the KB, but also docking station for port ecpansion, etc. I think there might have been an external optical drive, but my memory may be faulty there.

I'm not in a huge rush, Cat, as in 'this week'. But months? I don't want to wait that long, and the problem with forthfoming models, especially in a Cov-19 world, is that it's a "how long is a piece of string" situation.

Also, brand new release = premium price and I'm a tight git.
    The Ryzen 4000 seem to be selling at a lower premium than the Intel systems.

The first of the AMD ultraportables has been reviewed:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15762...ith-ryzen-4000

Its more a cheaper model(under £700) and weighs 1.2KG but looks promising. Also consider its 6C/6C and 8C/8T against 4C/8T intel systems,and the Intel laptops used are 15" models with a larger chassis,and cost more. They weigh about 25% more too.

I hope we see some more premium designs!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 06-05-2020 at 03:00 PM.

17. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

LeNovo Carbon X1. Very thin, very light. My kids have been using the old one I got from a previous client co, so it must be pretty bullet proof as they've not broken it yet.

19. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (06-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    I have a Samsung 10" tablet and I really enjoy using it, its perfect for carrying around the home, reading the news etc. As with most things it will always come down to what you want to do with it. The surface has a lot of expandable options making it a great all in one workhorse.

Maybe a shot in the dark but any chance your friend could let you try out the surface first to see if it something you could see youself using?
    I had a Samsung 10.1 Tab2, but it died. Right now, Sammy 7", I think Tab 4. Great portability but a bit too small. Also, browsing some complex sites is like running a footrace in 2 foot deep snow .... slow as hell, and frustrating.

As for the trial run, that's what my mate suggested. He's restored to factory default and will drop it off when he can. A very nice shot in the dark, that.

21. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (06-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The Ryzen 4000 seem to be selling at a lower premium than the Intel systems.

The first of the AMD ultraportables has been reviewed:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15762...ith-ryzen-4000

Its more a cheaper model(under £700) and weighs 1.2KG but looks promising. Also consider its 6C/6C and 8C/8T against 4C/8T intel systems,and the Intel laptops used are 15" models with a larger chassis,and cost more. They weigh about 25% more too.

I hope we see some more premium designs!
    Oh, fu ... dge.

Cat, you make an irritatinly convincing case, dammit.

Still, after trying the SP4, I'll either keep it, or be a bit further towards these becomin more mainstream.

What does the rumourmill say about mainstream availability .... if anything?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Oh, fu ... dge.

Cat, you make an irritatinly convincing case, dammit.

Still, after trying the SP4, I'll either keep it, or be a bit further towards these becomin more mainstream.

What does the rumourmill say about mainstream availability .... if anything?
    Anandtech says the model tested will be available in the "early part of this month" - I don't know about any of the other models.

24. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order