Thread: Question New PC build is only coming with Win 11, should I ask for Win 10

Thanks

Question New PC build is only coming with Win 11, should I ask for Win 10

Hey everyone, hope you're all well.

I am hoping to get a PC from Scan soon:

Z690 A Gaming D4
    i9 12900K
    32GB ram, RTX 3080, etc...

Am I better off keeping Windows 11 for this build to future proof it or do you guys think it's worth asking for Win 10.
    I am not too up to date on how old games and software run on it, so was wondering what the best thing to do would be.

Do the games run fine on it, does anyone know?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Question New PC build is only coming with Win 11, should I ask for Win 10

You'll want to stay with Windows 11 for the core scheduling needed with that processor. Games run more or less fine - those that don't are being patched and/or motherboard BIOSes are getting options to resolve compatibility.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Exactly what kalniel said ^^

Thanks

That's great info, thanks guys ^_^

Thanks

While I agree with whats been said, early adoption of Windows seems to bite a few people in the arse..

The Verge ran Windows 10 and 11 against each other in this article that might be of use to you...

https://www.theverge.com/22763042/in...-12900k-review

Thanks

There seems to be some breaking news on gaming with Intel 12th Gen and W11, which is that a LOT of games are giving varying degrees of problems. Some won't start at all, others can run for hours then inexplicably crash. This includes some major titles. The problem is (reportedly) the DeNuvo DRM software that, it seems, doesn't do much of a job of knowing how to handling switching between 12th Gen P and E cores, and is seems to break the DRM, resulting in crashes. JayzTwoCents has just done a review on it, and compared it to getting HDCP content issues when you own the Bluray player, BluRay disk and compliant TV. Accoring to Linus, that may be because many so-called compliant hdmi 2.1 cables actually aren't (compliant).

Anyway, this seems to just be blowing up and, sure, it'll get fixed. For most games. Sooner or later.

Staying with W10 isn't necessarily a solution, since that doesn't support the scheduling needed to get the best out of the P-core / E-core tech in 12th Gen at all. Yet.

Jayz overall conclusion seemed to be, and I agree .... this is a typical early-adopter issue and it happens one way or another, every time. If you don't want to face this, don't adopt early.

If you do adopt early, you have a choice between W11 and facing this issue, or sticking with W10 and not optimising 12th Gen Intel performance until you upgrade.

Were I buying 12th Gen now (and I looked at it and might yet) I personally would stick with W10 for now. But as is no secret, I'm not a W11 fan anyway. However, my logic is that as MS want us all to upgrade, and that upgrade to W11 seems likely to remain free for a long time, if not indefinitely, then staying W10 for now keeps your options open. When the situation has had a chance to shake out and stabilise, upgrade then.

But if you go W11 now, IIRC, you have a very limited time in which to change your mind and downgrade back to W10.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ChaosUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI z490 Edge Gaming WIFI
      • CPU:
      • i9 10850K @5.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB Trident Z 3600MHZ CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1,5TB of NVME :)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RMi 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li O11 Dynamic
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA

well you can use w10 and update to win11 later.. most people i know that bough alder lake still use w10 with no major isssues
    I am testing win11 on my media pc with 8700k and 2070s and its working stable.. but there are some things that annoy me..
    like w11 not remembering windows size and positions after restart

Thread Information