Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PSU Fan Replacement

  1. #1
    I'm ITX
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,415
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    159 times in 148 posts

    PSU Fan Replacement

    I've bought a used Antec ISK 300 case with a 150w PSU in it, but the fan isn't spinning unless I start it manually and even then its very slow. I can't just swap it as it needs a 2pin not a 3pin connector.

    Can I just put a 2pin cable on and shorten the cable of a new one?

    Where can I buy a 2pin connector for this?

    Thanks

    It's 4.98*

  2. #2
    Get off my lawn... rox0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,476
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked
    176 times in 137 posts
    • rox0r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair IV Formula
      • CPU:
      • AMD PHENOM2 X6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 240Gb SSD, 1 x 1Tb F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD R9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    You can use a 3 pin connector just pull the plastic 'socket' off the two prongs on the PSU board and use the red/black connectors on the 3pin, yellow is just the speed sensor.

    Be careful inside the power supply though, the capacitors can hold a deadly belt even after unplugging so don't go touching anything in there.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement


  4. #4
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    10,128
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked
    1,220 times in 1,121 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    Many psu's the fan is soldered in, so to replace the fan you'd need to cut the cable and solder in the new one, any fan should work, just leave out the yellow rpm sensor wire.

    Now I say should because you'll probably run into rpm and minimum voltage issues, most fans have a minimum starting voltage, and a psu varies the fan voltage based on ether load or temperature.
    So if the low voltage when the psu current draw is load is below that of the fan then you're going to hit the same issue of the fan not starting.
    The RPM issue is based on how the psu is designed, the fan in a psu and the fan control in the psu is designed to work with a given level of cooling from that fan.
    If the psu fan control is load based and you use a lower rpm fan than the one in it, then it's not going to get enough cooling and you could end up killing the psu.

    I would contact antec about this issue and maybe look at a claim under warranty before opening up that psu.

  5. #5
    I'm ITX
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,415
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    159 times in 148 posts

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanp View Post
    I'd need the smaller 2pin one, but they sell that too so thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by rox0r View Post
    You can use a 3 pin connector just pull the plastic 'socket' off the two prongs on the PSU board and use the red/black connectors on the 3pin, yellow is just the speed sensor.

    Be careful inside the power supply though, the capacitors can hold a deadly belt even after unplugging so don't go touching anything in there.
    Doesn't seem to want to come off easily, don't want to break anything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Many psu's the fan is soldered in, so to replace the fan you'd need to cut the cable and solder in the new one, any fan should work, just leave out the yellow rpm sensor wire.

    Now I say should because you'll probably run into rpm and minimum voltage issues, most fans have a minimum starting voltage, and a psu varies the fan voltage based on ether load or temperature.
    So if the low voltage when the psu current draw is load is below that of the fan then you're going to hit the same issue of the fan not starting.
    The RPM issue is based on how the psu is designed, the fan in a psu and the fan control in the psu is designed to work with a given level of cooling from that fan.
    If the psu fan control is load based and you use a lower rpm fan than the one in it, then it's not going to get enough cooling and you could end up killing the psu.

    I would contact antec about this issue and maybe look at a claim under warranty before opening up that psu.
    Yeah, didn't think of any issues that could appear because it's just a straight swap for another noctua. Maybe that could be the whole reason then?

    It's already been opened by the previous owner to swap the fan for the now-dead noctua inside, so no warranty there.

    It's 4.98*

  6. #6
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    Warranties aren't generally transferable anyway (original purchaser only).

    I wouldn't have expected there to be a problem - if the PSU board is a two pin plug, it isn't using speed sensing anyway.

    However, as other have said, if the fan only starts when the temperature rises, it could be that the PSU is being loaded enough to need forced air cooling.

    As others have said, if you are delving round inside a PSU, make sure you take appropriate precautions with capacitors etc.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  7. #7
    I'm ITX
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,415
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    159 times in 148 posts

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Warranties aren't generally transferable anyway (original purchaser only).

    I wouldn't have expected there to be a problem - if the PSU board is a two pin plug, it isn't using speed sensing anyway.

    However, as other have said, if the fan only starts when the temperature rises, it could be that the PSU is being loaded enough to need forced air cooling.

    As others have said, if you are delving round inside a PSU, make sure you take appropriate precautions with capacitors etc.
    Yeah, warranty will be gone either way.

    Hmm, yeah there's only a 2pin (red and black) so no RPM. Only way to check would be to load the PSU or make it get hot but then that's a bit risky if the fan is actually not working...

    Yeah I've been careful, keeping my fingers away from them.

    It's 4.98*

  8. #8
    I'm ITX
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,415
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    159 times in 148 posts

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    Antec want 45 Euros for a replacement, new case is only £60!

    I ordered the wrong cable from Kustom PCs now they're out of stock, any other places I can get a small 2pin to 3pin?

    EDIT: Got one from Amazon I think
    Last edited by PeterStoba; 12-07-2011 at 05:16 PM.

    It's 4.98*

  9. #9
    I'm ITX
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,415
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    159 times in 148 posts

    Re: PSU Fan Replacement

    Just noticed on the fan that the previous owner had soldered in a resistor on the red cable, snipped it out and joined the wire with a bit of tape, connected back up to the PSU and it works fine!

    So, it must have been down to a minimum startup voltage.

    It's 4.98*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PSU Basic Knowledge
    By Frank Lee in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27-01-2009, 03:07 AM
  2. Abit AI7 Fan replacement
    By shelmec in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-11-2006, 06:04 PM
  3. Replacing PSU fan..
    By Starburn in forum Chassis and Mods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 01:22 PM
  4. what fan is in the PSU? (SB61G2)
    By quarryman in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-11-2003, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •