Thread: Do I *really* need a new PSU?

Thanks

Do I *really* need a new PSU?

Have upgraded to a P8Z68-V with i5 2500k system, but still using my old 550w Aerocool PSU, spec is:-

http://www.aerocool.us/psu/Turbine%2...er%20-spec.htm

Do I really need to get a new one? Are these any good? I seem to recall it got glowing reviews at the time, but it's about 5 years old now. It works fine at the moment, I've got a pair of 1TB HDDs, 120GB SSD, HD4830 512MB (although looking at a 6870) and it draws about 200W full load.

Hellraiser.......>

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Re: Do I *really* need a new PSU?

With a HD 6870 I would personally have some room so the power supply its always at peak load. I use a Corsair TX 650 and I have:
    500GB HDD
    HD 4870
    Athlon 64 x2 2.9ghz

But I bought this a while go, about a year ago and I am planning to upgrade my CPU. Moving to a higher power supply I think will last a longer time, as it isn't always using a lot of power, and you can more future upgrade. Always go 100W or something higher than you need anyway for head room.

Pancake

It should be fine IMO

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Only real issue is that we have no way of knowing how much it's degraded in five years of use. I don't know much about Aerocool as a company or who makes / designs their PSUs, and I can't find anything better than a quarter-decent review ("we plugged it into our computer and checked the voltage on the 12v and 5v lines! Woo, we're great reviewers!" ). Doesn't look like it's been through any of the reputable PSU reviewers (the ones who actually do proper empirical testing). With a five-year old PSU of unknown provenance, I'd generally advise caution. A £50 investment now in a decent 400Wish PSU would give you peace of mind through another 5 years of computing. Sounds like good value to me...

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Only real issue is that we have no way of knowing how much it's degraded in five years of use. I don't know much about Aerocool as a company or who makes / designs their PSUs, and I can't find anything better than a quarter-decent review ("we plugged it into our computer and checked the voltage on the 12v and 5v lines! Woo, we're great reviewers!" ). Doesn't look like it's been through any of the reputable PSU reviewers (the ones who actually do proper empirical testing). With a five-year old PSU of unknown provenance, I'd generally advise caution. A £50 investment now in a decent 400Wish PSU would give you peace of mind through another 5 years of computing. Sounds like good value to me...
    Scaryjim beat me to it - I'd be thinking about changing it.

If you do, look strongly at the Seasonic (or Seasonic made & otherwise branded) PSUs. Little more than some others but I've got a few of them in various guises (500w S12, 430w S12, 400w Corsair CX) in various machines and they are very good PSUs. Worth the extra few quid I think

Thanks

Yeah, I suppose it's lasted me well. Been looking at a 700W Silverstone Strider as per link:-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/700w-...iet-fan-atx-v2

Seems quite nice, and on today only it's not a bad price. Just want another 5 years of trouble free power, and I have to admit the Aerocool has been a cracking PSU, the only issue I had when I took it apart a couple of years ago was I had to change the exhaust fan (a common problem - the plastic they make the fan blades from degrades due to heat and starts to contract, causing the blades to catch on the outer housing - makes a really annoying row!) but aside from that it's handled abuse really well.

Hellraiser.........>

Thread Information