Thread: Why you don't cheap out on a crucial component, the PSU!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Heisenberg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 970A DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD 8320
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • 650 W XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" AOC I2367 FH
      • Internet:
      • 160 Mb Virgin Media Broadband

Exclamation Why you don't cheap out on a crucial component, the PSU!

Thanks

Re: Why you don't cheap out on a crucial component, the PSU!

I'd quite like to see inside that properly, I'm wondering why it did as much damage as that!

A filter cap exploding might leave a dent somewhere and a bad smell, a switcher shorting might burn up but shouldn't cause that much damage? I'm also wondering if this was fused at any point. :/

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Heisenberg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 970A DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD 8320
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • 650 W XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" AOC I2367 FH
      • Internet:
      • 160 Mb Virgin Media Broadband

Not sure, but this whole article reminds me of when I blew up my brothers computer maxing out the mighty BF2!, it wasn't a cheap unknown PSU but is sure was funny.

Anyhow not to avoid the point of this article, make sure you always look at many reviews of a PSU before purchase, ensure it has the right cables for your components, has sufficient power for your components and has a good efficiency rating (by a known company such as Corsair, Coolermaster, Silverstone etc... )

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I'd go for the fan failing, something overheating and setting fire to the cables inside the PSU. No way that's just a cap popping - that should take out the PSU quickly and cut power so there's not enough heat build-up to cause that much damage.

I'd also put a small amount of money on the son standing there going "awww, cooooool" for a couple of minutes before realising that this might actually be serious and calling his dad - faster action would almost certainly have prevented some of that damage.

Thanks
    • Spank's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Hero X
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16GB 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 970 EVO, 512GB 960PRO, 500GB 860EVO & 6GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix oc
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tower 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Alienware AW3418DW
      • Internet:
      • 52 Meg Fiber

Basic rule of thumb I've always been told is spend 10% of your build budget on a PSU.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

This sure is a wake up call to people who don't use proper power supplies.

I know someone still using some generic power supply, I did warn him, he has a GTX 480 in that thing and it made a rattling knock. He used a key to stop the fan spinning because of the noise, I am surprised that thing hasn't blown up yet.

Power supplies are too important to overlook! At least you know with the top brands even if it can't supply the power it'll at least shut down saving yourself and your house!

Scary thought...

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I tend to go by at least £10/100W, personally. I think with components becoming increasingly energy efficienct the 10% of budget probably isn't that relevant any more - more expensive components won't necessarily pull relatively more power. A GTX690 alone costs £800, but an entire GTX690-based system could be comfortably run on an £80 PSU. Unless you're going for something truly esoteric, there's little point looking past ~ 600W as a peak rating.

OTOH, you can knock up a cheap office rig for ~ £200 nowadays, and I wouldn't go near a £20 PSU In that case I'd want to spend nearer 20% of the budget on the PSU.

Horses for courses, really.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

When it comes to selecting components it's the PSU that stresses me out the most and sometimes it seems that what looks like a good one in reviews is actually universally considered quite bad by many end users. A lot of people seem to think that the OCZ unit I have in my PC is one of those bad PSUs, yet it did well in all the reviews I read on it when researching PSUs.

Bagnaj97

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    When it comes to selecting components it's the PSU that stresses me out the most and sometimes it seems that what looks like a good one in reviews is actually universally considered quite bad by many end users. A lot of people seem to think that the OCZ unit I have in my PC is one of those bad PSUs, yet it did well in all the reviews I read on it when researching PSUs.
    When it comes to PSUs my take on it is that as long as it's a decent brand, don't worry too much. Sure, some are much better than others, but even a "poor" branded PSU is miles better than the no-name generic £10 500w jobbies.

I've got a PC at home running a Hiper PSU. When I bought it they were considered good, now using Hiper in relation to PSUs seems tantamount to swearing. Must be 5 or 6 years on now, and no problems.

Another example is the Corsair cx450 - as far as I understand, it's worse than the cx400 it replaced (maybe not the exact models, but you get my point). As a result it gets widely panned. That's not to say it's a bad PSU, it's not going to blow up and set your house on fire, but reviews and forum posts would have you believe otherwise!

Efficiency concerns aside, I'd quite happily run my PC on a Coolermaster Elite Power 500w PSU. It's an older model and as such it's not as efficient, but it's not going to blow up and take your PC with it! It's cheap too

Thanks

With cx400 vs cx430 I think it was more a case of people being annoyed that Corsair discontinued what was an excellent, well-made budget PSU with premium components in favour of one that's just acceptable made with cheaper components and less impressive performance, but under the same branding and for about the same price. IMHO they liked the success but not the profit margins of the cx400 so they swapped it out with a cheaper but "bigger number" model hoping people would just default to it, increasing their profits.

Cheaper branded PSUs should be safer than no-name ones but that's not to say they won't go bang and destroy your PC components with a power surge.

I agree with the £10/100W rule-of-thumb scaryjim mentioned, down to about 400W. Unfortunately, despite most desktops without a discrete GPU now needing less than even 200W, it's hard to find mainstream PSUs <400W. It's somewhat understandable considering low margins but it would still be nice to see more reasonable output units designed to run efficiently where real systems idle, not just in the 20-100% 80Plus testing margin - 20% of 400W is still 80W, while a common PC might idle at ~20W or so.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Bagnaj97 View Post
    When it comes to PSUs my take on it is that as long as it's a decent brand, don't worry too much. Sure, some are much better than others, but even a "poor" branded PSU is miles better than the no-name generic £10 500w jobbies.

I've got a PC at home running a Hiper PSU. When I bought it they were considered good, now using Hiper in relation to PSUs seems tantamount to swearing. Must be 5 or 6 years on now, and no problems.

Another example is the Corsair cx450 - as far as I understand, it's worse than the cx400 it replaced (maybe not the exact models, but you get my point). As a result it gets widely panned. That's not to say it's a bad PSU, it's not going to blow up and set your house on fire, but reviews and forum posts would have you believe otherwise!

Actually it was one range of Hiper PSUs which was bad as they cheaped out on the capacitors and they had a tendency to go kaput. The other ranges were fine. The CX430W uses cheaper capacitors and a sleeve bearing fan and has gone through two redesigns AFAIK. The first version did not even have 80+ certification,unlike the CX400W.

When you had alternatives such as the XFX PRO 450 and Antec HCG400W for only £5 more,the CX430W for long time,was not that great value. The previous two are Seasonic units and they make the high end Corsairs. Corsair was using its brand name to pass off a PSU which they cost cut on,and most of the reviews were actually in the US,where it had 40% to 50% rebates for years.

In the UK it is actually priced higher relative to the competition for years. Only,now that it is heading nearer to £30,that I consider it not bad value,if you cannot spare £5 to £10 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagnaj97 View Post
    Efficiency concerns aside, I'd quite happily run my PC on a Coolermaster Elite Power 500w PSU. It's an older model and as such it's not as efficient, but it's not going to blow up and take your PC with it! It's cheap too
    That is a rubbish PSU. To put it in context the 460W version was overrated by 30W to 40W. Moreover since such PSUs tend to be used by people in cases with poor ventilation,the sleeve bearing fan has a greater tendency to wear out and it probably uses off brand capacitors.

It won't blow up,but I expect more from a £30+ PSU!

Remember,one of our friends had a FSP PSU which is better quality than the cheaper Coolermaster ones. His previous case had poorer ventilation and the sleeve bearing fan wore out in under three years,and it was a decent one. I already wore out one Akasa Vortexx Neo GPU cooler in under two years and that used a sleeve bearing fan and the same goes with the Sharkoon fans I used. He was the one I got that Silverpower PSU for,ie,a rebranded Seasonic 400W PSU which was basically the same as a CX400W.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 28-11-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks

Another 'gutless wonder' review over at JG: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=324

13. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Another 'gutless wonder' review over at JG: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=324
    And there be a lesson in "if it seems too good to be true - it is".

Butuz

Thread Information