Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 750W Quiet PSU

Registered+
    Thanks

750W Quiet PSU

My current PSU sounds like a jet engine once I start playing games, meaning I can't hear much else unless I turn the volume of my headset up really loudly. I'm thinking of getting a new PSU and have been recommended the EVGA Supernova G2.

From reading reviews it seems to be an excellent PSU for an affordable price, my main question about it is how quiet it is and whether there is anything that is comparable in quality but maybe quieter for a similar (or cheaper) price or is this PSU really quiet as well?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: 750W Quiet PSU

Why not simply replace the fan with a Noctua one?

Thanks

The G2 is silent pretty much, in fact you can turn on the ECO function and the fan on the PSU won't even come on until the PSU has reached a certain temp. I have had one in my system for last few months and I can't even tell if the fan has ever come on or not. When the ECO function is off the fan is silent, you wouldn't be able to tell if its on or not.
    Jon

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Same here, Although are you sure its the PSU thats noisy? Even loud ones don't tend to be deafening. I'd suspect its much more likely that its your GPU thats noisy.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have an old Dell Precision Tower 3400 and 3500 set up as servers, god knows how old their PSUs are. Even my dad's old PC doesn't generate much noise from the PSU - I'd agree with herulach and see if you can do a bit of testing first.
    Also, any PSU you go for will sound whisper quiet if what you say is true, I wouldn't worry too much about which one you go for aslong as it has good warranty and has at least a bronze standard.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royo View Post
    Why not simply replace the fan with a Noctua one?
    I don't feel confident enough taking apart my PSU and replacing the fan.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    The G2 is silent pretty much, in fact you can turn on the ECO function and the fan on the PSU won't even come on until the PSU has reached a certain temp. I have had one in my system for last few months and I can't even tell if the fan has ever come on or not. When the ECO function is off the fan is silent, you wouldn't be able to tell if its on or not.
    I heard it has this feature, I'm going to assume that the fan will come on at some point and when it does is it silent even at full speed?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Same here, Although are you sure its the PSU thats noisy? Even loud ones don't tend to be deafening. I'd suspect its much more likely that its your GPU thats noisy.
    I know I shouldn't do it, but I stopped each fan on my PC individually and the only one that I haven't managed to stop is the PSU fan, so it's definitely that, as the noise was still there after stopping each of the other fans as I also initially thought it was the GPU or CPU fan and then one of the case fans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guest7789 View Post
    I heard it has this feature, I'm going to assume that the fan will come on at some point and when it does is it silent even at full speed?
    The fan will come on when the PSU reaches a certain temperature. I have never heard the fan personally so its pretty quiet.
    Jon

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

be quiet! PSUs are very-very quiet even under load so if I may, I would suggest that brand.

Also, what system is going to powered by that '750W PSU'?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    be quiet! PSUs are very-very quiet even under load so if I may, I would suggest that brand.

Also, what system is going to powered by that '750W PSU'?
    I've taken a look at the be quiet PSUs but they seem to be quite expensive. I saw the Supernova G2 in the Black Friday sales but missed out on it unfortunately as I was trying to find info on how loud it was, so if the feedback is for going for it then I'll try to pick one up if they go on sale again over Christmas.

The system is a 3570k, gtx 970, an SSD, 2 HDDs and a few case fans. I want the extra overhead in case I go sli 970s in the future.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Daheelah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MAXIMUS V FORMULA
      • CPU:
      • i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 NVMe, Samsung 500GB 860 EVO, 2TB SEAGATE ST2000DM001 SATA3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base PRO900 Blk rev2 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 55in Smart Curved TV

All the comments above seem valid enough. I would like to add that it is wise to firstly choose a unit capacity that will operate within its most efficient working range. This will of course depend on the load you intend to subject it to, so some homework and research will certainly help you make an informed decision. It also goes without saying that you get what you pay for so expect to pay for it if you want an excellent unit. Look out for deals. A good starting point is Scan.com. Also check out reviews. My current rig is powered by a 1050W Seasonic X-Series. It also sports the eco performance feature, amongst others as most (if not all) the better spec'd unit do. Good luck.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Daheelah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MAXIMUS V FORMULA
      • CPU:
      • i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 NVMe, Samsung 500GB 860 EVO, 2TB SEAGATE ST2000DM001 SATA3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base PRO900 Blk rev2 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 55in Smart Curved TV

Sorry, regarding the Seasonic, I meant to say that on the eco setting, I have never heard the fan come on. I have only seen it run ever so slowly for a few seconds at any one time, and that only rarely.

Registered+
    Thanks

From the feedback it's looking like the supernova g2 is the best in terms of noise and performance then - at least at this price point. I'll just have to see if a decent deal comes about!

Registered+
    Thanks

On a different note (not sure if I should start a new thread in this PSU forum or the case forum) I think part of the reason why the temps are getting hotter for my current PSU is because I have a Fractal Design (I think it's R4 or R5) which has the PSU fan facing towards the ground and a lot of dust builds up on the removable dust cover of the case very quickly (within a few days). Every time I vacuum it it takes longer for the fan to go really loud, so I think this might be part of the issue. Is there anything I can do about this (my PC sits on wood flooring)?

I've read that some people have turned their PSU upside down so that the fan faces inside the case rather than outside. I've read that it's not great because it can increase temps inside the case but others say it's really good because then no dust can go inside it. Would this be an option? Or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Same for me. I have one and i cannot hear it!

Thread Information