Thread: Got a job and saving for a pc, what PSU is good for this build

Thanks

Question Got a job and saving for a pc, what PSU is good for this build

G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 V Series 16GB (2x 8gig)
    Intel Core i7-6700K
    X99-DELUXE / ASUS ATX DDR4 3000 LGA 2011-3
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    GTX 1080 Ti - I know its not out yet but by the time I get enough money for this pc it might be out if not ill just wait, my pc is decent enough for now
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    Seagate FireCuda ST2000DX002 2TB 7200 RPM

Not sure what was worth mentioning so just putting it all their, I have no clue what PSU to get I did abit of research but to no avail I still have no clue. While im here, I hear alot of people say that sometimes people post builds and they arnt even compatible just want to make sure mine is. This is only my 2nd build with the 1st being done mainly by my uncle so I don't know a whole lot about this. I was thinking a 750W but better safe than sorry ill ask people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Re: Got a job and saving for a pc, what PSU is good for this build

PCPartpicker.com is a good site for both compatibility and getting mostly best prices.

Your CPU and motherboard are incompatible - they require the same chipset. You've chosen a skylake (LGA1151) processor and an X99 (2011-3) motherboard. i7-6800K is 2011-3 (i.e. X99) and would work well, I believe?

Without the 1080Ti, which appears to be rated at 250W, your system (with the 6800K) is rated at 264W as per http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/J2BDzM. 750W gives you good scope for upgrades. Without having gone into this class of PSU in any detail, I'd suggest that the EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply seems about right for your needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£407.99 @ Novatech)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£79.26 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£281.99 @ Novatech)
    Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (£103.91 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£104.99 @ Novatech)
    Total: £1008.13
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-22 19:30 BST+0100

If you're planning on overclocking, you may want to get a better cooler, but others will be able to advise better on that.

Overall this would be a pretty kickass gaming rig.

What's your job?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

If its just gaming a Core i7 6700K should be enough,but X99 does have advantages for other stuff though.

Regarding the card,apparently the GTX1080TI launches next year at CES 2017.

But the question is do you need one?? Unless we know what resolution and what games you play,something like a GTX1070 probably would be fine for most games at 1080P and 1440P IMHO. Even at 4K,the Pascal Titan does OK,but how long it will continue to do so is debatable as more intensive games get launched in the next 12 to 18 months,meaning you might need to consider getting another card over that period to run in SLI.

Looking at how much the GTX1080 and the Pascal Titan costs,it probably means £700+ I suspect,and the last few cards like the GTX780TI and GTX980TI have been replaced in a year by faster and cheaper cards.

So unless you really intend to push the card,it might make more sense to do more frequent but "cheaper" upgrades to your graphics cards. CPUs,etc tend to much more longer lived from experience!!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 23-10-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    If its just gaming a Core i7 6700K should be enough,but X99 does have advantages for other stuff though.

Regarding the card,apparently the GTX1080TI launches next year at CES 2017.

But the question is do you need one?? Unless we know what resolution and what games you play,something like a GTX1070 probably would be fine for most games at 1080P and 1440P IMHO. Even at 4K,the Pascal Titan does OK,but how long it will continue to do so is debatable as more intensive games get launched in the next 12 to 18 months,meaning you might need to consider getting another card over that period to run in SLI.

Looking at how much the GTX1080 and the Pascal Titan costs,it probably means £700+ I suspect,and the last few cards like the GTX780TI and GTX980TI have been replaced in a year by faster and cheaper cards.

So unless you really intend to push the card,it might make more sense to do more frequent but "cheaper" upgrades to your graphics cards. CPUs,etc tend to much more longer lived from experience!!
    Ill be playing at 1080p and I think you might be right about not needing the ti, but I have no issue with waiting for it and using my sub-par gaming pc until then main thing is wanting this pc to last as long as possible and the ti could give it a longer lifespan who knows.

Thanks

Got my 1st job at a sandwich shop, pays $7.50 an hour and im not putting all my money twords this pc so it will take a long while to get the money but I cant wait to have a pc im proud to tell people about when they ask.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Seems like you're investing a lot of money relative to your income into a computer. It's a waste of money to put vast sums of money into a machine that'll only be playing games at 1080.

With computers there is a point of diminishing returns. Mid-range kit gives best bang-for-buck. You're unlikely to see a significantly noticeable increase in performance by doubling your costs - but you will by saving that money and buying upgrades as and when it makes sense to. It's the major advantage of having a PC. Your CPU will easily do 5 years plus. Yet you might want to upgrade your graphics card every two to three. A sound-card currently will last a decade!

7. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (24-10-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

If I were in your case,OP,I would invest in a Core i5 6600K if you want to overclock or even a Core i5 6500 if you don't want to,and look at either a RX480 8GB or GTX1060 6GB,or if you can get a good deal a GTX1070.

Are you US located?? Microcenter can have some good deals if you are near to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    Seems like you're investing a lot of money relative to your income into a computer. It's a waste of money to put vast sums of money into a machine that'll only be playing games at 1080.

With computers there is a point of diminishing returns. Mid-range kit gives best bang-for-buck. You're unlikely to see a significantly noticeable increase in performance by doubling your costs - but you will by saving that money and buying upgrades as and when it makes sense to. It's the major advantage of having a PC. Your CPU will easily do 5 years plus. Yet you might want to upgrade your graphics card every two to three. A sound-card currently will last a decade!
    This. I have done this and bought secondhand parts even(if it makes sense) and still have managed to run most games fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post

Not sure how much of that is true, but what I mainly play is arma 3 so ill need a good CPU ill remind you I was asking about peoples preference on PSU not weather i'm making a good choice or not as I said i don't mind waiting so my pay has nothing to do with it if the pc lasts 5 years that's ok with me, the only thing ill even possibly (replace unless its broken) is the GPU and the more frames now the better I don't care about value i'm still in high school so yes I am saving money for later its not all going towards a pc, I don't mind waiting and gaming is about all I do anyways I don't pay car payments or house payments so money is either being saved or being saved towards a pc.

Thanks

sadly no micro center near me that would be amazing if there were, made a new part list compatible to the i7 - 6700k im not looking to run most games fine, im looking to run all games perfect. but thanks for all the tips, wont be looking at this thread anymore as its starting to veer off from my original question about PSU's and that question was answered.

Thanks all

Thread Information