Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fully modular or Semi-modular

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Fully modular or Semi-modular

Quote Originally Posted by Hasnain View Post
    No there isn't a significant reason to spend extra on a fully modular PSU. Only cases I can think where it make a significant difference is when you are building in limited space and needed custom cables ect.
    Once you're looking at a good high-end PSU aren't they all fully modular anyhow? I have quite the fetish for Seasonic, and generally won't touch any other brand (unless it's a re-badged Seasonic ). All the Focus PX range (which are not stupid expensive) seem to be fully modular.

You pay for the quality of the PSU. It's one component where it doesn't pay to penny pinch.

Registered+
    Thanks

It is more important to make sure that the PSU is of high quality than worry about whether it is fully modular or not. Whether it's worth the additional buck (in case the PSU you want to buy isn't fully modular by default) is just preference and case space availability.

A good PSU will ensure you don't get random PC resets/shutdowns and will influence system stability (or rather, a bad PSU will cause a world of pain ).

Registered+
    Thanks

The price difference between a non modular vs fully modular isn't that huge from what i've seen. I'd personally go for fully modular because its easier to work with because you don't have to mess around with extra cables that are not needed.

Registered+
    Thanks

If you can find a decent semi-modular PSU for a good price, I'd go for it. However, if you have limited space, or find a great deal on a modular - go for it. Have a look on Linus PSU recommended list btw that might help narrow down your choices.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    It’s made clear that in general you should avoid non modular power supplies. However, is there significant reason to spend extra for a fully modular PSU over a semi modular one?
    Mainly for tidyness of your build and space. Non modular PSUs for a regular 1 SSD 1 GPU machine mean 4-6 cables go unused but occupy precious space in your case.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Alloys's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
      • CPU:
      • i7 9700k
      • Memory:
      • 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Corsair Dominator Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 2 x WD SN750 1TB NVMe SSD, 1 x Crucial MX500 2TB SATA SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GamingPro RTX 3090
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 850
      • Case:
      • Sahara P35

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    It’s made clear that in general you should avoid non modular power supplies. However, is there significant reason to spend extra for a fully modular PSU over a semi modular one?
    For me at least modular power supplies are just easier for cable management, but you can also achieve the same effect sometimes with cable extensions, I build a few with these and wire up the mobo/GPU routes before even putting the PSU in, works a treat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information