View Poll Results: Do you vote?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Especially in General Elections

16 80.00%
  • Nope, especially not in General Elections. Why?

3 15.00%
  • When ever one of the parties pledge to do something for me... What is it, and Why?

1 5.00%

Thread: Continuation, Next Gen' Election

Ive got 10/40w for blood... THCi's Avatar
    Thanks

Continuation, Next Gen' Election

So, your gonna vote for who ever your gonna vote for.

But, why is it that you are voting at all, and if you dont vote why?

And, for under 18's, do you plan to vote in every election, or not, or when the fancy takes you?

Thanks
    • [R4A]Bigman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 PC3-10666
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD (+6TB Fileserver)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD6850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG05B-450w Mini-ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
    Yes.

I will vote (im only 17 atm), because id rather Labour or Lib Dems or Conservatives (*shudder*) were in power than the BNP or something.

I might as well help the majority vote land on a government which doesn't really do anything but just about runs the country rather than one which has the wrong idea.

My 2ps worth.
    -Winning isn't everything, but losing is nothing

Thanks
    Yes.

Look what voter apathy (as well as the split between did Chirac and Jospin) did to France. Fancy anyone like Jean-Marie Le Pen reaching a position in the UK? I'd hope not.

Even voted for my local elections by post, while at uni.

Besides, we devalue our beloved democracy if we abstain from voting.
    Last edited by Dr. X; 05-08-2003 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    Yes.
    As much as I dont really care about politicians and what they say, I wouldn't want the BNP or alike coming in and making a mockery of the government.

Thanks
    Casting a vote is the basic and fundamental right of living in a democratic society. While we're not living in a true democracy (ie. we don't have proportional representation, hence the Tories could come to power in 1992 despite only winning forty-something percent of the popular vote...), the UK has strong democratic traditions and tendency.

For those who think voting is a waste of time, think of those who live in countries where voicing one's opinion is not only a distant dream but is actually dangerous to one's well being. Since we have the right, we should take it as our obligation to exercise such political judgement and make the best use of our votes.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    I agree largely with spikegifted. What little influence we do have with our vote should be exercised, lest we lose even that.

I have to say it is getting very difficult to find anyone worth voting for, however. I have a very jaundiced with of most professional politicians and most of the current crop don't deserve to be voted in as municipal dog-catcher let alone to run the country.

Thanks
    I support my feet and they support me. Living in a labour area it disna matter how I would vote they would still win.

Tan

Thanks
    Originally posted by tanman
    I support my feet and they support me. Living in a labour area it disna matter how I would vote they would still win.
    If everyone in your area think the same way, then Labor will win with a handsome majority. However, it is up to you and others who don't support Labor to go out there to exercise your rights. The chances are that you're going to reduce their majority and in the freak chance that Labor voters staying at home, a surprise result may be possible...

The point is - If you don't exercise your right to vote, you'd take no part in the decision process. If you vote, but your candidate doesn't get in, at least you've exercised your right and better luck next time.

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Ive got 10/40w for blood... THCi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Its quite wierd as to how many say they DO vote on here, as to how many actually DO vote every 4 years for the general elections.

Thanks
    There are people who vote with their hearts (usually idealists and die-hard supports), those vote with their heads (pragmatists, opportunitists and tacticians) and then there're those who vote with their mouths (all noise and no substance)...

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Dr. X

Besides, we devalue our beloved democracy if we abstain from voting.

Abstaining from voting could be your way of putting your point across. You could be saying 'I do not wish to vote for any of the above candidates (as I think they are ALL a bunch of muppets)'

Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    Abstaining from voting could be your way of putting your point across. You could be saying 'I do not wish to vote for any of the above candidates (as I think they are ALL a bunch of muppets)'
    I like it the fact that you use the term 'could'... Yes, not voting 'could' be a way of protesting against the poor quality of the candidates, but it doesn't achieve anything - we still end up with people who're unfit to govern being elected. In this country, and many others, there isn't an option on the voting slip that says: 'I don't like any of the listed candidates. Redraw the list and have a fresh election.' or something to that effect. Well, we should!

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    I like it the fact that you use the term 'could'... Yes, not voting 'could' be a way of protesting against the poor quality of the candidates, but it doesn't achieve anything - we still end up with people who're unfit to govern being elected. In this country, and many others, there isn't an option on the voting slip that says: 'I don't like any of the listed candidates. Redraw the list and have a fresh election.' or something to that effect. Well, we should!

We definitely should have this option. But while these people (the ones we don't want to vote for in the first place) are in power they won't change the rules, meaning they keep the elections open to only their 'own kind'. I don't seriously believe your average Joe could become Prime Minister because of the way the system is run. I'm sure I couldn't, you need money to start with, also you need to be able to lie convincingly and most importantly you have to have the desire to do such a thing!

Who was it that said, 'The desire to have power should automatically negate that person from having it'? (Or whatever it was along those lines!)

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Dont vote dont complain. Vote is you actually care about how your country works for you. The 'what have they ever done for me' excuse is old and doesnt wash anymore

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by steve threlfall
    Dont vote dont complain. Vote is you actually care about how your country works for you. The 'what have they ever done for me' excuse is old and doesnt wash anymore

I wasn't using the 'what have they ever done for me' excuse, I was just stating that politicians are all corrupt. They find any way they can to get as much money as they can out of us for themselves. We need the option of someone who will actually get things done properly. We need politicians who answer questions directly, not beating around the bush without answering questions. I do care about how our country works for everyone, but at the moment there isn't an alternative candidate to vote for who will make it work effectively.

Thread Information