Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 161

Thread: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

  1. #1
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

    Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Jaqui smith is at it (it being the usual badly thought out decisions) again : BBC NEWS | Politics | Cannabis laws to be strengthened

    So anybody have any thoughts on this?

    Apparently the experts who were asked to look into this by GB said it should remain class C, but the govt is ignoring this no doubt because they need to win back some of that dail mail voter demographic after getting a kicking in the local elections. I am really unsurprised by this move but I just cannot understand it, cannabis is the same classification as speed..? I mean come on.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  2. Received thanks from:

    Knoxville (09-05-2008)

  3. #2
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,547
    Thanks
    1,743
    Thanked
    3,229 times in 2,601 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Side A: Experts say it should remain class C

    Side B: Experts were not reporting on the message classification would send to the public or the impact on policing.

    So I guess while they're implementing several of the recommendations of the council, they're saying that there's an additional benefit to reclassification with regards to the 'image' of the drug and how that might have an effect on its use.

    I have no idea to be honest - my first instinct would be to go with any police recommendations, as they're the ones that have to deal with it in the end. I think making the seeds illegal was probably a good step

  4. #3
    Now with added sobriety Rave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SE London
    Posts
    9,948
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    399 times in 255 posts

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Her decision came despite the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs' review - commissioned by Gordon Brown - saying the drug should stay as class C.
    I'm going to write to the Home Secretary and ask why they're paying people to conduct reviews and then ignoring their findings. Because if they're going to do that, I'd rather they didn't pay for the review in the first place and charged me a bit less tax.

    Am I being unreasonable?

  5. #4
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,547
    Thanks
    1,743
    Thanked
    3,229 times in 2,601 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I'm going to write to the Home Secretary and ask why they're paying people to conduct reviews and then ignoring their findings. Because if they're going to do that, I'd rather they didn't pay for the review in the first place and charged me a bit less tax.

    Am I being unreasonable?
    No you're not, but they already said why the review recommendation regarding classification wasn't followed (the review answered a specific question but wasn't designed to answer all the criteria the govt would use to make the decision).

  6. #5
    Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    6,137
    Thanks
    563
    Thanked
    138 times in 99 posts
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    No Rave, you're not, but these reviews are increasingly being carried out with a view to only getting the answers the covernment likes. Consider the report on longer heavier vehicles; bigger trucks would reduce road deaths because fewer haulage miles would be needed to move the same goods, and reduce carbon emissions for largely the same reason. Result? Report buried, because it's not "on message" by Ruth Kelly, after representations from the rail industry.

  7. #6
    Jay
    Jay is offline
    Gentlemen.. we're history Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Jita
    Posts
    8,365
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked
    568 times in 409 posts

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    I think it’s a good thing as most of the n*bheads round here sit on the dole and smoke it all day. Now when I call the police because they are fighting in the street they can be carted off to Jail for possession as well.
    □ΞVΞ□

  8. #7
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    I just don't think the government should be listening to the police on issues like this at all, its a social health issue not a criminal issue. The only reason the police are involved is because of the prohibition in the first place, it makes more sense to me that if you want to improve policing you should leagalise and regulate and then there is little need for any enforcement.

    Besides that, the police are there to enforce laws that are decided by people we democraticaly elected not to influence those laws. They are supposed to serve us, not decide which drugs are socially acceptable and which are not.

    Also, the government talk a lot about 'protecting' the public, I am sorry but I don't require any protection from them and I didn't ask for it, that goes for ID cards in the name of super scary islamic terrorism as well.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  9. #8
    mutantbass head Lee H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    M28, Manchester
    Posts
    14,204
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    671 times in 580 posts
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I'm going to write to the Home Secretary and ask why they're paying people to conduct reviews and then ignoring their findings. Because if they're going to do that, I'd rather they didn't pay for the review in the first place and charged me a bit less tax.

    Am I being unreasonable?
    No your not.

    I've actually sat and read the whole PDF of the report and what suprised me was that alcohol was right near the top of the scale. However I feel we'll never see this banned as they make far too much money from taxing it

  10. #9
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    I think its a good thing.
    Cannabis is an illegal drug whichever way its dressed up.

    Its not even the fact that it doesnt really do that much. Its more based on the fact that it funds organise crime, fuels thieves to rob peoples houses/possessions/cars and is generally a small step to other things.

    I would have money on it that anyone thats tried it has probably had something else aswell.
    I would also think that the majority of the people, that dont want it classified as a harder drug in fact use it. Sorry to generalise but it is probably the case.

    The ONLY defence there is for it is that when was the last time someone staggered out of their house after smoking weed and started a punch up. As opposed to drink where it happens all the time.

  11. #10
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,547
    Thanks
    1,743
    Thanked
    3,229 times in 2,601 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    I just don't think the government should be listening to the police on issues like this at all, its a social health issue not a criminal issue. The only reason the police are involved is because of the prohibition in the first place, it makes more sense to me that if you want to improve policing you should leagalise and regulate and then there is little need for any enforcement.

    Besides that, the police are there to enforce laws that are decided by people we democraticaly elected not to influence those laws. They are supposed to serve us, not decide which drugs are socially acceptable and which are not.
    You make some good points, I guess I thought they might have a role in feeding back the actual effects of drugs and so on, which they might have a clearer experience of that most people. Although arguably politics is mostly concerned with what people percieve to the be the problem rather than what's neccessarily the problem.

    The legalisation point is a valid one - it works in a limited fashion for alcohol, I definitely think that alcohol misuse is one of the most serious problems we have, and that all prohibition would do is increase the proportion of misusers to users, not to mention the criminal element of supplying a prohibited substance. Maybe the arguement is that there is no 'usage' amount for cannibis - any use is misuse.

  12. #11
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Blitzen, whichever way you dress it up, its a plant.

    Its an illegal drug because society (or more accurately in this case the government, seeing as somthing like 2 thirds of the population have tried it) decided it should be.

    These things you talk about like funding organised crime might be true, but would it still be true if it was legal and you could go an purchase it legally?

    Your point at the end there is interesting because you acknowlege that booze causes more punch up's but I don't hear for you calling for that to be banned. Even though liver disease is at record levels. Don't drink by any chance do you...?
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  13. #12
    IBM
    IBM is offline
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked
    244 times in 145 posts
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Dress it up any way you like, it's a drug....so sure, keep it banned, and add alcohol to the list too. And caffine. And sugar....I could live without them, but I bet most of the western world couldn't

    It doesn't matter what classification canabis carries, it's illegal and if the government wants to make the penalties more severe on a whim, so be it. After all, they tell you what speed to drive, how much money to give them in taxation, and what not to do with farmyard animals.....and when people don't like what the government is telling them to do (or not to do) they go out and do it anyway, and suffer the consequences if they get caught. This is not a free society.
    sig removed by Zak33

  14. #13
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    good points IBM I suppose it just illustrates what is wrong with our sham of a democracy.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  15. #14
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    Blitzen, whichever way you dress it up, its a plant.

    Its an illegal drug because society (or more accurately in this case the government, seeing as somthing like 2 thirds of the population have tried it) decided it should be.

    These things you talk about like funding organised crime might be true, but would it still be true if it was legal and you could go an purchase it legally?

    Your point at the end there is interesting because you acknowlege that booze causes more punch up's but I don't hear for you calling for that to be banned. Even though liver disease is at record levels. Don't drink by any chance do you...?
    I like a pint yes. If i have 2 pints on 2 different nights of the week is that going to give me liver failure? Nope. Unless im an alcoholic then it wont effect me.
    Its also legal and surely thats the point.

    The organised crime part is also a major issue with it as the people that sell/deal this stuff invariably deal the hard stuff aswell.

  16. #15
    Senior Member JPreston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    124 times in 74 posts

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    Besides that, the police are there to enforce laws that are decided by people we democraticaly elected not to influence those laws. They are supposed to serve us, not decide which drugs are socially acceptable and which are not.
    Spot on. The only 'message' being sent here is that both Labour and Tories will happily ignore robust scientific studies, common sense, and popular opinion in order to pander to the stupid and ignorant middle england swing voters who continue to set the political agenda at the level of dumbed-down trivialities.

    Aren't we fighting a war or two? facing recession? Renewing trident and eroding habeas corpus, all with minimal debate? But ZOMG some people are smoking lethal super-skunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

  17. #16
    Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    4,458
    Thanks
    505
    Thanked
    353 times in 254 posts

    Re: Government reclassifies cannabis as class B

    Does it actually make much difference since the police have already stated that they will not actually be changing the way in which they deal with cannabis users? I.e. they'll caution them and confiscate the drugs rather than arrest them.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Quake Wars
    By Salazaar in forum Gaming
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
  2. Cannabis Now Worse Than The Nazis
    By Bazzlad in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 11:24 PM
  3. drugs
    By jeoO in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 23-11-2006, 11:22 AM
  4. Hexus Horde Guild Roster
    By Scientist in forum PC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 01:35 PM
  5. Cannabis policing relaxed
    By DR in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 19-09-2003, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •