Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The state of music

Thanks

The state of music

I'll start with my question first so that it's clear and not mixed up with my opinion (which will come later)

So... What do people think of the music industry at the moment, or more specifically the quality of the music that is around at the moment?

Now the reason for this question is that i listen to a lot of music, i would say at least two thirds to three quarters of the time that i'm awake i'm listening to something, i like to listen to new often weird and wonderful music, but i also listen to radio 1 quite a lot, but more for the talk than the music, the reason why will become evident in a moment.

The problem is i've come to realise that a lot of music on the radio, especially during the day is just bland, boring, unimaginative, empty, pointless, lacklustre, recycled... i'm sure you get the point. I'm going to lay the blame for this firmly at the feet of established "artists" (i use the term loosely) like madonna, she used to make music that was innovative and challenging, now she's taken the above adjectives to heart in her new "music" (again used loosely) and should probably retire whilst she's got some dignity or maybe she should just be put down.

What really winds me up though is that people will almost make Gods out these musicians, as if the person is more important than their music. At the end of the day they're just people and there are people with far more talent that go unrecognised. In fact the lyrics in this song sum up my feelings on the subject quite succinctly YouTube - dan le sac VS scroobius pip "Thou Shalt always Kill"

Anyway enough of my rantings, what does everyone else think of the state of music?

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Re: The state of music

yeh will never be as good as spice girls years ever again

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED

There is good music still around but listening to radio 1 you need to wade through the 'popular' chart music and other rubbish that big bosses somewhere think the majority of the British public actually like. Don't get me wrong I spend all day listening to radio 1 while I'm working but a lot of it I let go over my head. I think ever since that live 8 gig Madonna isn't what she was anymore, a good live act. That was appalling. I don't know what you like but The Wombats are a good example of good new music.

Thanks
    • tigerboyce's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8Ghz + Titan Fenrir
      • Memory:
      • 6gb (3x2) OCZ Reapers DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 690gb total WD caviars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 320mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP 22"
      • Internet:
      • aol :/

not into at all either, i totally know what you mean, that's most probably why i haven't really listened to the radio in years. As for some of the people that are popular at the present time, mainly all the indie bands like the killers, hard fi, the kook's all seem to sound prety much the same, one or two decent songs between them. Dont get me wrong there are some really great indie bands out, most of them slight older like coldplay, manics, bloc party.

That's why i stick to my personal love of a mix of different abstract & instrumental hip hop (definitely avoiding mainstream [c]rap), trip hop & electronica artists. No other music really makes me stop and drift away. Hugely into people like Boards of Canada, RJD2, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Cut chemist, Prefuse 73 etc

In the end it all comes down to personal preference.

Thanks

I don't mind the wombats, but i wouldn't buy an album, it's just not what i'm into at the moment and there are quite a few bands around at the moment going for the same style, seems to me like indie bands are becoming or have become the new boy/girl bands in terms of popularity.

edit: just read tigerboyce's post and i'd agree personal preference plays a big part in what people like. But there does seem to be a lot of "well generic DJ on the radio say this band is good so they must be good regardless of what they actually sound like" hence why i think some artists are popular when they really shouldn't be.

Thanks

also agree with tigerboyce, hardly listen to radio now for finding it samey, & tend to stick to trawling music mags & net reviews etc if looking for new stuff. disappointing sometimes when you really want something fresh & hear good things about a band, or follow amazon type 'if you like x you might like y' links, & just don't find it makes you sit up & go wow. occasionally get something good that way but (getting lazy i guess) could mostly just do with someone passing me a dozen cds at intervals & saying here you'll definitely like these. otherwise it's back to old favourites.

Thanks

Vampire Weekend weekend and MGMT are the only 'new' bands I'd go out of my way to follow at the moment, bit of a shame really

Thanks
    • mediaboy's system
      • CPU:
      • Phenom x3 8500
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD3650 512MB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Premium x32
      • Internet:
      • T-Mobile Mobile Broadband

I don't listen to any type of music apart from classical - mostly because it puts me to sleep at night, and they always play loud stuff in the mornings that will wake me up - but it's gets samey.

What I find more horrifying is what the previous generation of churchgoers/clergy think that young people like. I work at my local church as a chorister and as a Junior Organ Scholar, and also get hired out (by my dad) as an organist for sunday morning services.

It's horrifying.

Forget that most teenagers don't like church music anyway, but even those that like it just don't like the "modern" hymns that I'm forced to play/sing. "Shine, Jesus Shine" was something we had this morning. The choir (there's about 30-40 of us, and about 20 of which are trebles or young female singers) hated every second of it. Some of the other stuff "For I'm building a people of power" just made us laugh our head off because our Organist has a sense of humour, and for songs he doesn't like he will do everything from transposing it up a tone, then down 2 tones or changing the tune or occasionally changing the accompaniment - we had "Lord of the Dance" played like a irish folkdance once - and he was at his finest this morning changing just about everything.

About the only decent music I get to sing/play is the stuff at churches that people class as "stuffy, old, in the past" churches. Or... at evensong, where the choir (all of us) collectively choose the music/hymns that we like, and do them instead of what the clergy want us to do.

Normally the music is so awful, that even a teenager like me - who prefers classical music to something you can barely hear or something you can hear too much off - would be driven away by the startling lack of taste and good music.

Just my opinion, and I dare say it'll change in a few years when I start moving away from classical music...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortune117
    Kids are getting smarter, eventually no amount of parental controls will be able to stop them
    I guess we're expected to do quite well

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media

There are only a few new bands around that i feel are worth listening to at the moment. the rest seem to all sound the same and other are good but overexposed(nickleback - rockstar) some are just overexposed (Madonna and Justin timberlake - 4 minutes).

At the moment i'm on the look out for genuinely do thinks differently at the moment i'm listening toi a band called Tiger army
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

You always know when something is wrong, when Kanye West is Headlining, yes, i said headlining, Global Gathering...

Kanye West over the god and demi gods of dance? (tiesto and Van Buuren respectively)

*mutters about the youth of today*

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

yeh Global Gathering sux... not sure why someone cool, like Kanye would do that!

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

i get annoyed with music thats samey, hence i don't listen to the radio.
    it is also a big part of why i listen to death metal and such like, due to the vast variences throughout a singular song (take opeth for example, in 1 song [granted most are 10 ish mins long] you get classical, prog rock, folk, metal, thrash metal and everything) example of opeth HERE maybe not the best example seeing as though the song is 30mins long

but you can never have too much opeth \m/

but yeh, radio 1 and the current music is very monotonous and boring IMHO
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mediaboy View Post
    Just my opinion, and I dare say it'll change in a few years when I start moving away from classical music...
    what kinda classical you like? (aside of church music)..
    most people do it the other way round & move from pop/rock to classical when they're older, good to see someone working backwards. & nice spelling btw. can only find one mistake

Thanks
    • Erkal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • msi nforce2
      • CPU:
      • Athlon xp2000+
      • Memory:
      • 2gb
      • Storage:
      • 2x 80gb western digital and 1 160gb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • geforce 6600gt
      • PSU:
      • corsair hx520
      • Case:
      • Quantex
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama MA203DT
      • Internet:
      • 8Mbit plus lots of tiscali cant find server badness

Although im becoming a real oldie <--- (remembers the beatles breaking up).
    there are a few good artist around at the moment such as Goldfrapp, the trouble bands have is coming up with a sound thats original. i heard something on Radio 2 the other day that sounded just like love cats by the cure, but with different lyrics it was still quite good though.
    And something to bear in mind, i hear variations of this phrase "Music was so good in the 60's/70's etc."
    what people forget is all the dross of those times too. fortunately the radio stations have the good sense not to play them too often.

Thanks

The industry is a bit messed up, radio 1 etc.. just play whatever will make the most money or ratings which unfortunally is a large combination of talentless ****e. I cant belive people buy it.. especially rap that is all about bling and whores.

The reson people say that about the 60/70 is I guess it wasnt nearly so manufactured... not nearly on the same scale

Further you go from the money the closer you get to stuff that is really made only becuase they enjoy doing it.

Youtube is great for finding new stuff though, I often spend all day just listening to bands Ive never heard of. Im going to bloodstock again this year and looks like they have put a lot more effort into the unsigned competition thing so should be good. Doesnt look like I will goto nummirock though
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 12-05-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

I'm getting very very sick of hearing the same 5 tracks every time I go out or stick the radio on... I don't care how popular it is, mix it up a bit dammit!

There are still some gems poping up but its getting harder and harder to find them methinks.

Over the past couple of months I've seen alot of small unknown bands playing in some dives and a few of them have actually been good, but most end up just being boring cover bands tho

Thread Information