• Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps

Companies moving call centre's overseas

I'm not going to go into detail as I'll rant for ages about it, I just wanted to know what other peoples feelings were.

Why do companies do this? I deal with so many now, it's not funny. I know companies do it to save money, but the customer service they supply I think is disgraceful. No offence but you get some half-wit who has difficulty speaking our language talking to us from 2,000 miles away... how is that customer service? They can't even answer some of my questions and I find it difficult to understand what they say most of the time.

How many companies are doing this? How many more companies are allowed to do this? Why do the government allow these massive companies to shut down in the UK, make so many redundancies and move their call centre's abroad?

I've just googled and there are plenty of links on their that will show you what I mean. Anyone worried about it? Anyone think there's nothing to worry about? Anyone think it's a good idea?

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    It's called the free market. I am all for it. I find the attitude of some people ("it's not fair") quite amusing really. If you dont like the service the company provides, take your business elsewhere (that's called the free market too).

If you dont want to lose your job, move to India. It's quite simple.

Can you show me where the notice is that says that all jobs belong in the developed world?

Sorry for being a bit terse, but I feel quite strongly about this. I lost two jobs in 1 year (both companies went belly up) partially because of the movement to outsource software development to India. Did I whine. No I did not. I set up my own company, and now provide a better service than the companies I used to work for. It's called the free market.

The real irony of all this is that, if the Empire had not colonised India and forced everyone to speak English, this problem would not exist to the same exteent. Now THAT'S funny.

Good luck to the Indians, Taiwanese and whoever else "takes" our jobs. They deserve them. If you have a problem with that, get a job in the public sector.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I cant see that it does us a great deal of harm. And it does give a well needed boost to some somewhat shaky economies. I believe as a whole, we have become lazy & complacent in out imperialistic attitude. This is a wake-up call to get out asses in gear & seize those opportunities that arise, however small.

Tis the price we pay for our own free market economy.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBeeeenster
    And quite ridiculous.

You seriously think ppl should move to India to keep their jobs when a lot of ppl are only managing to live on what they earn just now never mind the expense of moving to India.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    It's called the free market. I am all for it. I find the attitude of some people ("it's not fair") quite amusing really. If you dont like the service the company provides, take your business elsewhere (that's called the free market too).

Can you show me where the notice is that says that all jobs belong in the developed world?

Sorry for being a bit terse, but I feel quite strongly about this. I lost two jobs in 1 year (both companies went belly up) partially because of the movement to outsource software development to India. Did I whine. No I did not. I set up my own company, and now provide a better service than the companies I used to work for. It's called the free market.

The real irony of all this is that, if the Empire had not colonised India and forced everyone to speak English, this problem would not exist to the same exteent. Now THAT'S funny.

Good luck to the Indians, Taiwanese and whoever else "takes" our jobs. They deserve them. If you have a problem with that, get a job in the public sector.

But that free Market doesn't work both ways....what about that online music store that (legally) bouhgt CD's in the far east and sold them in the UK cheaply - they were closed down by the music Biz. Globalisation only seems to suit companies when it profits them , not the end user.

Since all these compaines have saved £'s by outsourcing call centres etc. I done hear them passig those savings on to anyone but the shareholders.

I personally try to avoide dealing with any companies that have their call centre abroad ( Norwich Union, Three , Dell to name a few )
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    And another thing - what is it with this mentatility of always taking the cheapest quote ?

do people not realise that if you pay peanuts, you get Monkeys !
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

DR
    Thanks
    Thing is the money which these companies pay in India etc is a good wage for people in India....

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Thing is - if the customer service is really bad in the indian call centres due to accent / language problems (and not neccasarily the quality of staff!) then customers will vote with their feet. Once alot of the companies realise their losing customers, they may think again.

But the companies are not moving there to benefit the indian workers they are moving there to reduce costs and increase profits. I'll wager the indian call centre workers are not getting paid good by the indian pay standards over there. They are just getting used for cheap, easy labour, I'll bet they dont get company pensions and stuff! We are using them. Whats to be proud of there? I see nothing to be proud of.

Butuz

Thanks
    Actually this was a long debate in my geography class. People working in indian call centres are actually being paid the equivilant of £30,000 salary. Most of them are professionals who cannot get jobs because there aren't any in their sector.

Ben

Thanks
    i work fot bt in a call centre and we have already lost several call centres to india causing a lot of british people to lose jobs and isnt fun living under the shadow of whether we are the next centre to shut. i personally think that the governement should be offering subsidures to keep the business in this country.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    How ridiculous is that?

I never said anything about third world countries not being able to get jobs! I agree, they need help, but why do so many people in Britain have to suffer job loses for that reason?

I set up my own company, and now provide a better service than the companies I used to work for. It's called the free market.
    Well, that's nice that you were able to do that, but many people simply can't.

I never said they take our jobs and am not angry with them as I have no right to be. I am angry with the companies who do it as they are obviously only thinking of their profits in the process. And why do I have to change my job exactly?

There are some good points made above by Butuz and Moby-Dick which I happen to agree with. I'm not proud that British companies are using them for cheap labour. I'm not happy that many British people are losing their jobs because British companies are moveing their businesses to elsewhere in the world to suit their profit margins.

Ben, where did you hear about them earning £30k? Most people in UK call centre's don't earn that much so what would be the point of moving a company with all that expense and then paying the staff there more than over here? I was under the impression that staff get paid around the same amount per month as we would over here in a day... Don't quote me on that though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al
    Ben, where did you hear about them earning £30k? Most people in UK call centre's don't earn that much so what would be the point of moving a company with all that expense and then paying the staff there more than over here? I was under the impression that staff get paid around the same amount per month as we would over here in a day... Don't quote me on that though!
    They get paid about £2000-4000 as the exchange rate goes but in India that is a very decent wage, affording a similar standard of living that a person earning £30k here would have.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Right, cheers, I understand what he meant now. Thanks.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    And quite ridiculous.

You seriously think ppl should move to India to keep their jobs when a lot of ppl are only managing to live on what they earn just now never mind the expense of moving to India.
    Erm, living costs in India are between 5 and 10 TIMES less than they are in London.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Thing is - if the customer service is really bad in the indian call centres due to accent / language problems (and not neccasarily the quality of staff!) then customers will vote with their feet. Once alot of the companies realise their losing customers, they may think again.
    We can let the market decide that. You are free to take your business wherever you wish. No-one is forcing you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    But the companies are not moving there to benefit the indian workers they are moving there to reduce costs and increase profits. I'll wager the indian call centre workers are not getting paid good by the indian pay standards over there. They are just getting used for cheap, easy labour, I'll bet they dont get company pensions and stuff! We are using them. Whats to be proud of there? I see nothing to be proud of.

Butuz
    Indian workers in this situation get paid VERY well. Compared to their peers, Western firms pay extremely well indeed. There was an excellent article in Wired about this a couple of months ago.
    http://wired.com/wired/archive/12.02/india.html

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I think we've gone through this debate before, and from the companies point of view if they are a stock market listed company, it is there job to make as much profit as possible for the share holders, thats how it works, reducing wage costs are definitely part of that process. However they need to balance that up against what their customer opinion of this move will be.

If you are angry at the companies, then i'm going to have to say that you seem to me to know nothing about companies, they are all generally badly run inefficent monsters, with the government being the worst. What you have to do is dictate the change on your terms, that means looking at whats out there and making your own decisions and going your own way in the market.

If that involves sacking thousands of staff in the UK to replace them with computers, so be it, and may I remind you all this is EXACTLY whats happened in the past, computers replaced hundreds of THOUSANDS of jobs.

But we all use them and are happy with using them. All this movement of jobs is just social/economic change, you'll just find other industries fill the void, Who do you think supplies the equipment for the call centres?, i'd say its very likely not going to be an indian company, so maybe intel dialogic system cards, increase in business - therefore more designers, accountants, more building cards.

Its all swings are roundabouts people, if you don't like it use your voice - let your bank know that if they do things like this, you'll take your business elsewhere.

People forget that consumer power has immense pressure if used properly.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information