View Poll Results: Should recreational drugs be illegal?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Illegal

20 31.25%
  • Legal

44 68.75%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should recreational drug use be illegal?

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Re: Should recreational drug use be illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by psu1 View Post
    Just because something gets legalised doesn't mean it is ok to use. That goes for all drugs, booze etc.

Why make this new drug legal? Why add it to the list of 'legal' drugs that our younsters are going to think is ok to use? That gives the wrong message to the youth of today. A legal drug doesn't make it a safe one.
    And criminalising them doesn't stop people using them.

Legalisation means that you can instate proper controls on the quality, purity and availability of drugs. And you can tax the hell out of them.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung, 320 Gb no name I can recall, 500Gb Sandisk SDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY - XLR8 GeForce 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    What are the terrifying and brutal side effects?
    Death is probably the most common. Occasionally people suffer severe permanant brain damage, but that's pretty rare, and unheard of with E and most 'known quantity' drugs.

(Thanks Evilmunky)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you living on a different planet or have you been smoking the whacky backy!! lol
    An excellent response taking into account all the subtleties and points of the posters argument.

I would suggest looking at what happened with prohibition in the US, once legalised the criminal gangs lost their stranglehold, some went ligit mind, but there was a reduction in orginised crime.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

mmh
    Thanks

14 states in america have the right idea... albeit packaged for medical grounds, it is a legalised way of controlling cannabis... its working, aside from federal agents (federal law prohibits, whereas state law allows) breaking in and stealing confiscating the "evidence"...

when i was over there (LA), seemed to me like it was a pretty good way of doing things...

I loved that i had a choice of strains, for different highs and different experiences...

everywhere i went i smelt the pleasant aroma of cannabis and nobody batted an eyelid...

yet back in this country i have to see "a guy" who gives me little to no choice and i get varying "deals" at different times of the month sometimes the right amount, sometimes short and not very occassionally i get more than i bargained for...

legalisation would mean choices, and education, and finding strains that are right for right people...

I dont drink... i dont like the effect, but occassionally i do like to have a bit of a smoke and chill out...

lets face it when was the last time you saw a bunch of stoners be like "hey lets turn over that car"... hell, when was the last time you saw stoners say "hey lets get off the couch!"...

prohibition has failed, and it will continue to fail because where theres sunlight, cannabis will grow, and whilst it grows, people will smoke it...

cut the crap... legalise it... give us a bit more choice and i'll happily pay for the privlidge, even taxed...
    : RFNX Ste | : stegough | www.stegough.com

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Why make this new drug legal?
    Erm - assuming you're talking about Mephedrone, it's only just been made illegal, and I'm not convinced anyone is talking about making that particular drug legal. But actually, the issue is more complicated than that - the drug needs testing properly, with long term trials and studies on the psychological and physiological effects of using it.

The problem is, our current system only allows "legal or illegal" - so it's kind of hard to get approval for the kind of testing that would determine whether / in what circumstances Mephedrone actually poses the significant health risk many are claiming. It also leads to the assumption that if something's legal it's OK to chug it as hard as you like - see "alcohol" for how successful that method of control is.

A much better system would be to introduce licensing for all drugs, and simply restrict the issue of licenses: so instead of having offences like "Provision of a Class B Drug", "Possession of a Class C Drug" etc. there'd be a general offence of supplying a controlled substance without a license. The general provision would be that any drug not specifically licensed couldn't be supplied, so there'd be no such thing as new legal highs - each drug would come into the system at the tightest level of control, and as more was known about it a decision could be taken as to whether it should be licensed for more general consumption. And if certain recreational drugs were freely available through licensed retailers, most people wouldn't feel the need to try to obtain drugs through other channels. It would also move the focus of policing into the supply of those drugs, not the possession, as possession of those drugs would be legal as long as they were obtained from a licensed supplier within the terms of that license. Of course, there could also be provision in law to prosecute knowingly obtaining substances from an unlicensed supplier, which would encourage even more people to obtain their recreational drugs from reputable licensed outlets, and (in addition to the tax revenues) the government would have a good indication of how many people were using what drugs, when and where - which is, I'm sure, what they'd like.

Now, please understand that I'm not posting this for your benefit, as I'm pretty sure you'll just come back with some highly reasoned comment like "Drug are bad, m'kay" (since this has pretty much been your only input into this debate over the last month or so that it's been going on), but for the benefit of those who actually want a reasoned debate over the drug control issue - because "legal" or "illegal" simply doesn't work...

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    see finlays post

Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    Absolutely

Friend of my gf's passed away last week which they think is MCAT related, it's worrying the belied that "its legal, its fine"
    Pardon my scepticism but with all the FUD going around about MCAT right now I think I'll wait until there has been a single proven case (I'm talking toxicology reports etc) that MCAT has been the cause of death. Note that I don't mean where MCAT has exacerbated an existing condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucelles View Post
    Death is probably the most common. Occasionally people suffer severe permanant brain damage, but that's pretty rare, and unheard of with E and most 'known quantity' drugs.

How many people have suffered death or permanent brain damage directly because of MCAT?
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

While there's still no conclusive proof that MCAT is directly responsible for any deaths, I think there's been sufficient mortality where MCAT has been implicated to start assuming that it has a negative effect on human physiology. It may well be that it exacerbates an existing condition, or that it increases toxicity of other substances and is only a danger in combination, but that's the kind of information that needed to be determined before a large number of people started taking the stuff.

The danger with MCAT is that we know virtually nothing about its physiological effects, but the fact that it was, for a while at least, legal gave it an air of respectability that will be hard to shake just by making it illegal. You ask how many people *have* suffered death or permanent brain damage directly because of MCAT - but the real question is how many people *should* suffer death or permanent brain damage - directly *or* indirectly because of MCAT - before we start studying and controlling the damn stuff. Frankly, if even one of those deaths is demonstrated to be indirectly caused by MCAT, that's one too many - and it's a situation caused largely by the illegality of other, better understood, potentially safer, recreational drugs...

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    While there's still no conclusive proof that MCAT is directly responsible for any deaths, I think there's been sufficient mortality where MCAT has been implicated to start assuming that it has a negative effect on human physiology. It may well be that it exacerbates an existing condition, or that it increases toxicity of other substances and is only a danger in combination, but that's the kind of information that needed to be determined before a large number of people started taking the stuff.

The danger with MCAT is that we know virtually nothing about its physiological effects, but the fact that it was, for a while at least, legal gave it an air of respectability that will be hard to shake just by making it illegal. You ask how many people *have* suffered death or permanent brain damage directly because of MCAT - but the real question is how many people *should* suffer death or permanent brain damage - directly *or* indirectly because of MCAT - before we start studying and controlling the damn stuff. Frankly, if even one of those deaths is demonstrated to be indirectly caused by MCAT, that's one too many - and it's a situation caused largely by the illegality of other, better understood, potentially safer, recreational drugs...

Agreed completely - there should most definitely be intensive research into this drug. I'd much rather have all these kids taking MDMA over this, given the relative harmlessness of MDMA.

It just gets to me when people attribute severe side effects and death to MCAT when there is yet to be a single proven case of death or 'brain damage' from it. It may be that I will be shown to be in the wrong in the future, and that's fine. But for now, I wish people would base their opinions on fact rather than media FUD.
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    And criminalising them doesn't stop people using them.

Legalisation means that you can instate proper controls on the quality, purity and availability of drugs. And you can tax the hell out of them.
    Of course! Just like Alcohol etc!!

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Better that than driving it underground where there are no controls on what is being sold or to whom and, no avenues to generate revenue for anyone other than criminals.

Can you name a single instance in history where prohibition has actually prevented the use of a substance which the general public wants to use?

If people want to take drugs then they will, the question is just of how you manage it.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I assume this means that you think Alcohol should be prohibited as well, then?

Banned
    Thanks

mmmm, alcohol, yum yum!! lol

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

I'm in favour of legalisation, licensing and taxing the bejesus out of it, ideally with the taxes going into helping people with issues out (drugs, social, etc)... Would probably have to introduce them legally at equivalent to street prices and may even have to keep cutting them with other things (known safe things in this case) to avoid heroin users / addicts from OD'ing... Same goes for prostitution, make it legal and control it.

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

mmmm, alcohol, yum yum!! lol
    I can't tell if you are a fantastic troll or just a simpleton.

15. Received thanks from:

Salazaar (17-04-2010),scaryjim (16-04-2010)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I lolled brilliant response sir, well done!

Banned
    Thanks

Well, we all know what you are. A drug user who tries to get everyone else to join the bandwagon!! lol

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information