Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: burka ban in UK 1 step closer

Thanks

Re: burka ban in UK 1 step closer

+2 iranu

I live in a very Muslim area. it's generally a nice area, we get some knob heads late at night shouting racist abuse aimed at the local Muslims (they are all pretty much Somalians), but most if not all of the young girls from 5 up where the headscarf (not seen the full Vail on a child yet). I frown upon this, I don't see how it's any good for integration or health, as the older women walk with a limp due to rickets.

anyway, one time we had a plague of 'knock a door' run on my block of flats, and usually i just ignore the buzzer from the intercom downstairs. but this time various buzzers all over the block had been rung for about 20 mins, and i decided to go to the window to see who was doing it.. and it was the usual kids aged about 6 - 9, they saw me looking and i waived and smiled... bad move.. they took this as an open invitation to hold the buzzer in for time.. on my next-door neighbour's flat. the buzzer stuck and my neighbour was out. so the buzzer was on constantly for 10 mins before i decided go downstairs to the main door and try and fix it. the kids saw me come down and ran away to a safe distance, as i was fixing it i got the expected child abuse (thats verbal abuse from a child, i thought i should clear that up)... so i was standing there trying to unstick the buzzer and getting called all sorts of names, and i just ignored it, but kids being kids they found my weak spot and called me "boldy" (i am almost bald to be fair), so i chased them.. Knowing full well that thats what they wanted.

i ran after them for about 100m and finally was about to catch them when the 4 local older Somalian kids 18 - 22 stopped me.. now i knew i was in trouble here, and was knackered. i knew i had to explain what had happened or get a good kicking. They explained that this was a "tight community" and i can't come here and chase kids... well i explained that im part of the community and why i was chasing them.. things calmed down and i did not get a good kicking, but i was pissed off, because had i been a Somalian running after the kids, whether they knew me or not, they would have stopped the kids not me. If this happened where i grew up any adult would have stopped the kids, assuming that they had been upto no good. there has been other instances where i had almost been beaten up on the streets where i live, but this was the point i realised that their community is different from mine even though they live on the next street.

i don't know what to do, all other communities seem to integrate well, our shared values, hopes and aspirations. I just think most Muslim communities either unconsciously or intentionally make little effort to integrate.. I also think that non Muslims make the situation worse, this combined with a legacy of racism from older generations in the city. but as things stand i can only see big social problems building up as a result, and any "dress code" for any community make things worse.

I don't even know why im arguing because banning it would probably just make a bad situation worse. at the end of the day im just bored and it's 3:30 and i got no-one to talk to so please ignore this post. i need
    Last edited by j1979; 09-10-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread Information