• Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    It's a typical anti-War stance; even when obviously proven wrong, dig your heels in, and never admit anything...
    Well, to be fair, I don't think that approach is restricted to those with anti-war views. I noticed enough posters on here still valiantly pushing the Iraq - 9/11 link even when it was abundantly clear that the two were not linked and never had been.

Banned
    Thanks
    Restricted to those with anti-War views? No, of course not.

I never intended to suggest that this was the case.

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Having looked over the pictures there were many inconsistencies. Shouting about all of them will only give information to whoever want's to re-create pictures more correctly so there are actually more inconsistancies than have been published. If you want to question that line hark back to a story in the Sun (another responsible newspaper?) making fun of the IRA for forgetting to take the safeties out of the noses of their RPG rounds. Hence they weren't exploding on impact. Strangely enough they worked just fine after that.

They were fake, simple. But that doesn't alter the fact that they have been and will continue to be used to stir up anti-British feeling and be used as a catalyst for more violence against troops and let's not forget the significant number of Iraqis working alongside them. Any deaths or injuries resulting from this are laid squarely at the door of this tabloid. I hope they will be satisfied with their version of professional journalism.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, exactly. That's the big deal here, not the fact that the photos are faked.

I witnessed some Iraqi cleric on the news the other day, holding up these images to a baying crowd, and then venting his hatred and disgust at what was in them.

Chance of the same cleric calling another meeting and saying - "You're not going to believe this lads; turns out there was a bit of a cock-up on the old pictures front, and it turns out, they were all fakes. Who's have thought it, huh? Well, you live and learn, I always say, so forget all that stuff I was talking about the other day"

Let's say 'slim' and leave it at that.

The damage has been done, by this piece of anti-British propaganda. Who'd of thought we would ever see that in a left-wing tabloid?

Last edited by Stewart; 17-05-2004 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks

I witnessed some Iraqi cleric on the news the other day, holding up these images to a baying crowd, and then venting his hatred and disgust at what was in them.
    About a year ago I was working in India. There is a large muslim population there and by and large they are among the most poorly educated in the country, so my Indian colleagues told me. They go to their Imam for advice on everything. His word is law. They don't question his ruling. I'm not saying they are wrong, just that they are totally reliant on his judgement.

Given the methods of the previous regime in Iraq I can't see education and enlightenment of the population as very high on the agenda. This crowd will unlikely question anything this cleric said. No amount of retraction from The mirror will change their views. It will take this cleric to undo it.

As you said Vaul. Unlikely. I'd say not as long as he has a hole in his ar*e.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RVF500
    As you said Vaul. Unlikely. I'd say not as long as he has a hole in his ar*e.
    Charming way of putting it.

Of course, the anti-War mob, God bless their tiny little feet, have now side-stepped the issue, with the superb response "Well, it doesn't matter if these pictures are fake, its what they represent that matters"

Which I think is code for "Yes, we were wrong about these pictures, but can we pretend otherwise, as our credability might suffer".

As I said, this Cleric is not going to mention that the pictures were faked, nor would he believe they were, no matter how obvious it is.

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    It amazes me that so much crap has been lied about in the run up to war yet the British public believe what they are told like good lapdogs still. Hutton...results in a stitch up of the BBC, not the people who deserved it like the people responsible for his death, so these patriots working for the UK and the good of their country get stitched up to cover up for Blair, yet you all swallow it and want to get on with business. Maybe you are blind but I have seen all the lies and dont believe what is said and at the point that I made the comment all I had seen were denials of the fact that these photos were genuine and if you look at my comment then you will see that I said I was not completely convinced, there are soldiers being charged with a hoax now so it will be interesting to see what happens with that.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blub2k
    It amazes me that so much crap has been lied about in the run up to war yet the British public believe what they are told like good lapdogs still.
    No, we just don't allow some bitter, anti-British, anti-American, anti-War agenda to cloud our judgment, and don't embarrass ourselves, by refusing to accept fact.

Do you see?

Still, the anti-War crowd aren’t exactly immune to lapping up bull**** like good little lapdogs, are you, Blub? How many of you were screaming blue murder, before the pictures were proven fake?

These pictures made fools of everyone who took delight in thinking (and lets be honest mate, in your case - hoping) that these pictures were the real deal.

Maybe you are blind but I have seen all the lies and dont believe what is said and at the point that I made the comment all I had seen were denials of the fact that these photos were genuine and if you look at my comment then you will see that I said I was not completely convinced
    You being or not being 'completely convinced' is irrelevant. The photo's are fake - fact. It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt, and you can remain unconvinced for as long as you like; its not as if you approach these things with an open mind anyway.

As Is said, its plainly obvious that you want to believe they are real. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Last edited by Stewart; 19-05-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    It seems that one of the individuals involved in this is being questioned. Wonder if Al Jazeera will broadcast the story? Doubt it. Wonder if they broadcast the Isreali army at loggerheads with Jewish settlers while they bulldozed an illegal Jewish building. Same again, unlikely. But they, like the ones hoping above all that these pictures were real despite all, only see one view and are blinkered to anything else beyond that view.

I don't see many threads decrying the decapitation of the American telecomms contractor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RVF500
    I don't see many threads decrying the decapitation of the American telecomms contractor.
    In this forum, you won't m8.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ah yes, Nick Berg.

Held down by 5 'Islamic extremists', whilst his head was hacked off, with a knife.

Of course, this was Nick Berg top CIA agent, or Nick Berg SAS commander, wasn't it? Oh no, my mistake, it was Nick Berg, Jewish American citizen, in Iraq to build telecomunications links.

How strange that there has been no outcry from the forum regulars? I mean, if the US so much as blinks at the wrong time, the usual suspects (I think we all know who they are) are up in arms.

As Skii says, in this forum, you won't see any threads about that. Now, were Nick Berg an Iraqi and the people who hacked his head off in cold blood, American's, Brits, etc, we'd be on to our 15th thread by now.

When the abuse by American soliders of Iraqi prisoners came to light, good old Blub2k, he of the balanced political outlook, was straight in there with 'Support this? You should be ashamed!'.

How strange, that he's not so vocal about condeming this paticular act? Perhaps he just didn't notice.

Still, all is well, because we can read his 'hilarious' re-mix of Baa-Baa Black Sheep instead. (And yes folks, big supprise, its a dig at the Americans!)

Ah, the good old Liberal way of things. Makes you proud, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Stewart; 19-05-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    How did Zacharias Moussaoui get his hands on the "innocent" Nick Bergs email and password? How come "innocent" Nick Berg was already picked up by the FBI and questioned about his connections to Sept 11th? Anyone?
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    How strange that there has been no outcry from the forum regulars? I mean, if the US so much as blinks at the wrong time, the usual suspects (I think we all know who they are) are up in arms.

As Skii says, in this forum, you won't see any threads about that. Now, were Nick Berg an Iraqi and the people who hacked his head off in cold blood, American's, Brits, etc, we'd be on to our 15th thread by now.

When the abuse by American soliders of Iraqi prisoners came to light, good old Blub2k, he of the balanced political outlook, was straight in there with 'Support this? You should be ashamed!'.

How strange, that he's not so vocal about condeming this paticular act? Perhaps he just didn't notice.

Still, all is well, because we can read his 'hilarious' re-mix of Baa-Baa Black Sheep instead. (And yes folks, big supprise, its a dig at the Americans!)

Ah, the good old Liberal way of things. Makes you proud, doesn't it?
    You are free to start your own threads, you know?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    well, I suppose I will stick my 2p in.

Im with blub here, just seems very convinent that they turned out to be fake. I did read a list of the things that were suposed to be inconsistent in the pictures, I have to say there was nothing there that seemed incontravertable. I really think the stuff about the truck not being in Iraq is just impossible to prove, Every unit in the army has those bedfords, they all look exactly the same the only way you can tell them apart is by the number plate (I didnt see any shots of the number plate in those pictures). Also the point about the weapon being a mk1 as it has no sling attached, let me tell you first that the sling is optional on the mk2 anyway and that the clip it attaches to is on the left hand side of the rifle so there is no way you could tell the difference. I think it would be very easy for the army to call up some "experts" to debunk these photos.

These photos could actually be fake, but I really dont think it is established fact that they are fake. Piers morgan didnt actually resign he was sacked, and that implys to me that he probably thinks he was right and the paper made a buisness decision to drop him and the whole matter before it started to get out of hand and damage the paper further.

So I suppose I am not entirely sure either way, but I am very skeptical about the way they have been dismissed as fake.

I think it is also worth bearing in mind that british troops have been guilty of some nasty stuff this far into the occupation

"Mr Hoon has said that 33 cases of prisoner abuse among British forces had been investigated, or were still in the process of being investigated. Two are close to prosecution.

There was no case to answer on 15 of the cases"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3714267.stm

Just because these events were not photographed doesnt make them any less wrong or shocking. Even if I did agree with this fecking war, wasnt the whole idea to get saddams WMD (pppfffftttt yeah, right whatever.) and help the iraq people? Looks to me like we have made things a whole lot worse. I suspect that after the handover of soveringty we will hear of more talk about an exit strategy, Tony and bush say that they are in it for the long haul but I will bet that they are both looking to get troops out of there ASAP (blair already said on the news today that in a years time he wants to see the numbers reduced). Its political suicide to continue this occupation but if we leave I have no doubt the whole thing will turn into an even bigger mess.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    No more convenient than appearing at the same time as the American abuse pictures.

If you want to believe they are real, fine, as it helps your argument its only to be expected.

I'll go with the Army's investigation and findings - like i said, i've no doubt the odd squaddie put the boot in, we however are not stupid enough to photograph it.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information