Thread: The Big Chill - Horizon

Thanks

The Big Chill - Horizon

The Big Chill - programme summary
    Remember that long, hot summer? You might never see its like again. And all that talk of global warming? Forget it.

"It's clearly going to influence every single one of us every day of our lives"
    Professor Bill McGuire, University College London

This season's first Horizon reveals that a growing number of experts fear Britain could be heading for a climate like Alaska. Our ports could be frozen over. Ice storms could ravage the country, and London could see snow lying for weeks on end. It would be the biggest change in the British way of life since the last Ice Age.

The first signs that such a disaster could happen came from deep within the ice sheet of Greenland. Scientists discovered that the Earth's past was littered with sudden, drastic drops in temperature.

The big question was: could it ever happen again? Clues came from tiny shells at the bottom of the Atlantic; a huge glacier on the move in Arctic and some alarming discoveries in the far north of Russia.

In the end there came the terrifying revelation: the Gulf Stream, that vast current of water that keeps us warm, could be cut off.

According to one scientist, there is a one in two chance it will happen in the next century.

Others say a climatic catastrophe could be heading our way in just twenty years time.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon...bigchill.shtml

I was wondering what people thought of this, if you didn't see it they basically said it was going to happen in our life times and proved it. Theres more about it in the link bellow the quote.
    I mean the implications are HUGE, electric and phone lines would fail, business would be turned upside down over night (unless you own a ski shop ) cars and transport...
    Would you stay here our move to a warmer cilmate?
    Or there a good side? (frozen chavs?... Snow boarding to work?)

Ravens Nest
    The chav's are too hard for that they'll go around with just a shirt, no jumper or coat as it might make them look uncool, i've seen them trying to act hard with no coat's on walking down the street with torrental rain and massive puddles everywhere.

Hopefully they'll go extinct, taking tony blair with them

Seriously it will be a disaster if that happened, i wonder if other countrys will be as accomadating to immigrants coming to there country(i.e us!) as we are here, imagine half the population of britain leaving for africa or somewhere in the mediterranean

What with peak oil, the greenhouse effect, terrorism and now this im starting to believe that the bible is right about the end of the world, they just got the date wrong.

Thanks
    Well it would have real far reaching effects, they said the rain forest would become grass land because the weather system would be a lot dryer.
    As the link says it might not happen for a 100 years, but it could happen in 20.

Thanks
    lol this is disturbing although it could be kinda cool,
    would the climate be like antartica or just like cananda?
    if it is canada then woop! snowboarding for all i think id stay if its like that.
    otherwise ill move out to some where like italy or germany,
    greece if i have the money lol

hey it also says on the link we could have snow or we could have temparatures like the south of france that sounds cool!

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 22-05-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Mmmmm Italy here i come!
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thread Information