Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Collosus

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Only problem with Europe, imho, is that it is a group of autonomous countries with disparate populations, languages and unique histories going back over millennia. Populations that will act, naturally, along 'tribal' lines to the benefit of their own group against the other groups. A grand dream, if you take out that annoying little hitch called human nature. I think that's the little hitch that was the undoing of Karl Marx' utopian dream.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    Yeah but all empires attempt to bring together disparate cultures into one monolithic group. While this can be achieved by various means the disparate nature of european countries does not necessarily mean they would not be able to form an effective empire. In fact there could be a number of advantages in that a country or culture would be less likely to become marginalised when there are already al large number of different cultures present.

As for the next empire; maybe Islamic. They would be the natural candidates if America foundered during its anti Islam campaign. They have the potential and have demonstrated it in the past.

Otherwise china I suppose although we'll probably have to wait a few decades.

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Agreed, but many such empires were held together by force. All such empires have collapsed quite dramatically. There has already been an islamic empire. The Ottomans. They got to the gates of Vienna before they receded. Plus those Islamic nations are as fiercly independant as the rest of us. A commonwealth or league would be more probable imho.

Perhaps an empire built on common economic and political goals would be the most effective and long lived. Primarily because the member states actually wanted to be in the empire. The trick then, I suppose, must be to make sure each population has those common goals. I personally don't think Europe does have that. As for China. I think they would be a more old fashioned type of empire. Move their armed forces onto your territory and inform you that you have just joined their empire.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    lol
    i dont think id mind china taking over my country so long as there arnt like the coalition in iraq there quite rich arnt they, it owuld be a good thing in my opinion

theres a chinese girl in my tutor group, shes realy nice and very kind, i certainly dont ahve anything against chinese peeps!

Thread Information