Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Fairies

Thanks
    • billythewiz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Clocked to 4.7GHz with Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 / Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer V243H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Gb/s

Sky Fairies

"Sky Fairies" is term that has been used, and objected to, a few times in recent posts. I'd like to comment on that.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that I live in Guildford. Guildford isn't famous for many things, but it is famous for this scene from The Omen.

Any one who has ever travelled to Guildford at night, from the north on the A3 or from the west on the A31, or on the train from Waterloo, will know that the first noticeable things you will see, glowing golden in the night sky is this. Take a closer look at what's purched up there.

So there you have it, a winged humanoid, perched high up in the sky, on the roof of a house of worship.

Now what was that you were saying about not ramming beliefs down other people's throats ?

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Re: Sky Fairies

I'm OK with it. I'm free to build my own black monolith complete with dragon if I had got my act together before the planning rules got so uptight.
    I can always do a stone circle.

From my link in GD.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd say it was a bit like constantly posting threads on a single topic to ram ones beliefs down everyone else's internet connection.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

4. Received thanks from:

Bunjiweb (17-02-2012),dbh (17-02-2012),directhex (17-02-2012),Pete301 (17-02-2012)

Thanks

Nice Bellamy salute!

But I'm OK with it. Aside from church architecture being impressive, consider it the same as any other corporation advertising their wares.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Ultimately so long as they keep out of my life, and don't poison our achievements (throwing away theories such as evolution) its fine.

The issue is if you have a belief, you know on some level that their probably is no tooth fairy, that you then go and attack anything which helps understand why there is no need for a tooth fairy, and ultimately in this metaphore denounce the existance of the parents instead. When you have people doing that, its a big problem.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

Err, I Don't 'Get' this post..
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

If you want to have a rant, then go for it. If you're trying to start a thread in a discussion forum, it's fairly pointless.

Thanks
    • billythewiz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Clocked to 4.7GHz with Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 / Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer V243H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Gb/s

There's an interesting recent article on the bbc about how much christian influence there is in our society. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17112688

Most of what they mention are just interesting curiosities. They steer clear of all the modern, insidious influences. Their involvement in schools and almost every other youth organization (scouts, brownies, boys brigade, etc.) Their influence in hospitals, the military, the judicial systems well as every level of government. When you list the areas out you realize that a list of things they aren't involved in might be a shorter list.

Thanks

Christian Influence - ditch it - we'd all be better off without it.

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/3...rica-needs-god

Barnardos
    YMCA centres
    Habitat for Humanity
    The Salvation Army
    World Vision
    Tear Fund
    Boy Scouts
    Shared Hope International
    Free The Slaves
    World Relief
    The Samaritans
    New Hope International
    Stop the Traffick
    Anti-Slavery Society
    Samaritan's Purse
    Compassion International
    Food for the Poor
    Wycliffe
    Church World Service
    Bread for the World
    Operation Blessing International
    Daughters of Cambodia
    MAP International
    Feed the Children
    Lives Under Construction Boys Ranch
    Medical Teams International
    Globus Relief
    The Children's Aid Society
    Goodwill
    Matthew 25 Ministries

Charles Loring Brace
    William Wilberforce
    George Mueller
    Amy Carmichael
    Eric Liddell
    Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
    William Carey
    Robert Raikes
    George Washington Carver
    Johann Sebastian Bach
    Johannes Kepler
    Last edited by Galant; 27-02-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

So many problems.

Africa doesn't need god. The title is misleading.

What the article really says is that it may need charity and the charity it gets may be motivated by god.

Which, to an extent, is true.

The problem is that many of the problems in Africa are also motivated by god. From the recent troubles in Nigeria to the LRA to the Rwandan genocide.

Africa is many countries and has as many complexities.

Thanks

The last thing Africa needs is more "charity"... they have enough issues as it is without us artificially supporting their crippling overpopulation and perpetuating their "leaders" ability to subdugate their populations along tribal lines. We and they would be much better off if we let them sort their own mess out. Sadly though that won't happen because;

(a) They're another set of dupes waiting to be sold meaningly consumer tat so that we can keep propping up our unsustainable economies just that little bit longer.

and

(b) People have yet to shed themselves of such childish notions as "good" and "evil" and consequently are easily swayed by emotional rhetoric into believing that "doing nothing is a bad thing".

In regards to "sky faeries" then the issue is not whether a divine spark was involved in the creation or not... it is being arrogant enough to believe that we alone have a special place in all this and that following a made up set of rules will somehow net you some reward at the end.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks

Did you read the article?

"Those who want Africa to walk tall amid 21st-century global competition must not kid themselves that providing the material means or even the knowhow that accompanies what we call development will make the change."
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Did you read the article?

"Those who want Africa to walk tall amid 21st-century global competition must not kid themselves that providing the material means or even the knowhow that accompanies what we call development will make the change."
    If you had read and comprehended my comment you would have realised that "providing the material means or even the knowhow" would be included in "letting them sort their own mess out". It is after all just another type of charity / exploitation, depending on how you look at it.

Oh and yes I did read the article. I just don't agree that fighting one set of delusions with another is the right approach. Especially when we are just as deluded as they are, but in different ways... blind leading the blind springs to mind.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks

Another issue:

Your list of charities has a few problems. Wycliffe, for example is devoted to spreading religion, and nothing else. They don't feed the poor, or dig wells for clean water. What they do is translate bibles into native languages. Occasionally they will disguise this. You can 'help with healing on the Ivory Coast', when what they really do is 'use translated Scripture to help heal the wounds of trauma'.

Donations here won't actually help anyone. There are charities, including christain charities who are doing good things. I'm not convinced that much of it is successful on any but a short term local basis. There are plenty of people at home who would benefit far more from your money. Personally I donate to a local children's hospice.

Worldwide, promoting religion is an overall negative effect. The solution to poverty is a secular free society.

Thanks

I'm well aware the Wycliffe spread the Gospel. So do many other charities here. It's you who apriori dismiss the value of that Gospel because you don't think it's true. The article is written by an atheist who, though he also does not believe in the truth of the Gospel, has yet seen a worth in it. So don'y just dismiss the gospel as worthless before you've considered it. Either way though, if you take a look at how Wycliffe work, you'll find that a lot of governments are happy to support them - even the Chinese government, because they teach and improve literacy in the nations in which they work. In some cases, they work for years to create a written language where none exist, giving ethnic groups their very own language for the first time, allowing it to be preserved, and then spending further years teaching those people how to read and write. Certainly they teach the Gospel, but no-one is forced to be a Christian. All of this is done with a very high view of human beings, a respectful one, and respectful of maintaining and working with culture. It is the work of men and women who wish to help other men and women, and part of that is sharing with others something that they themselves have found useful. Most of Wycliffe's workers serve on a voluntary basis. They make little money. What they are doing is giving years, sometimes their whole lives, working in far away places, learning unrecorded languages, creating written languages and dictionaries and teaching the people they work with to read and write. They do this with a genuine desire to help them and to share with them the good news that the workers themselves sincerely believe, all coming from a love for God and the people themselves.

You might disagree with the truths they believe, but I would have thought humans who might be wrong on a few points yet working to improve literacy, thereby giving people the chance to read and write, should be considered a good thing.

Or do you feel Christian beliefs are so evil that it is better to be illiterate than exposed to those beliefs?
    Last edited by Galant; 27-02-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousSam View Post
    If you had read and comprehended my comment you would have realised that "providing the material means or even the knowhow" would be included in "letting them sort their own mess out". It is after all just another type of charity / exploitation, depending on how you look at it.

Oh and yes I did read the article. I just don't agree that fighting one set of delusions with another is the right approach. Especially when we are just as deluded as they are, but in different ways... blind leading the blind springs to mind.
    I do believe he is agreeing with you on all but one point - that the desire to help where it needed is a good thing. Many parts of Africa see much suffering. Injustices in government, cultures that make use of violence. The desire to help and free those suffering under oppression and violence is a good thing. A compassionate thing. He agrees that throwing money or aid at the problem is not the solution. What he is pointing out is simply his own repeated observation that the influence of Christianity in the places he visited has been a good thing - so much so that he himself advocates more of it.

The point here, in response to the OP's prior post, is that the complete removal of Christian influence would be a bad thing. As for the blind leading the blind, maybe so, but if we're all blind as you say, then surely all of us blind men have to do something. Indeed, it could be argued that this is one blind man telling another blind man where to find bread. Maybe that's what blind men should be doing - or else they'll all starve to death?

Thread Information