Thread: Hackers and Sushi

Thanks

Hackers and Sushi

So, the English language. A free-for-all of words, with well over a million, compared to French's trim and proper 20,000 or so. Typically, the masses decide how a word is used and what it means. This is why "chav" is gaining acceptance (Though I have a very vague idea of what it means, where most others in this country would have no clue) as a valid word. Ask most people what sushi is, and they'll tell you "raw fish." Wrong.

"Sushi is a Japanese dish consisting of vinegared rice combined with other ingredients such as raw fish, raw or cooked shellfish, or vegetables. Sushi is sometimes confused with sashimi, which is the [raw] seafood sometimes served with sushi." (Stolen from www.thefreedictionary.com)

The masses evidently use in sushi in a certain manner, but that doesn't make their meaning the correct one. After all, the word is from another culture, and one can hardly expect Japan to change sushi to mean "raw fish."

I'd like to imagine the same applies to hacker. The word was once loosely defined as "a brilliant programmer." (Assorted definitions can be found at here. Though do ignore the interesting definitions like "someone who plays golf poorly." ) It is even said hackers (By the original definition) form a subculture of sorts. Thus, is it right to have that subculture redefine "their" word to what the masses believe it to mean?

So, my question is, should hackers change their definition of the word to what the masses say it is, or are they right, in that the masses are misusing it?

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    I think golfers would be quite distressed to hear you dismissing such a quality insult so lightly.

I think you'll also find that the majority of people (hackers included) are quite happy with the definition 'One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file' (dictionary.com - which I'll point out, is still only the second definition after 'One who is proficient at using or programming a computer; a computer buff').

Plus, in all respect to the Japanese language, and coming from someone who regularly partakes in the delights of Japanese cuisine, as soon as a word is adopted by another culture/language it no longer means anything other than what the adopting culture (the majority vote) says it means.

I see when people started saying the 'geek' had gained respect as being 'an intelligent person with a certain affinity for technology' all the geeks were cheering, but as soon as the masses put a downward spin on what may have been a complimentary description, people start to sulk. You can't have it both ways.

On a side note, the language came first, the Grammarians (is that a word? Can I have a majority vote and make it one?) came after, the grammatical rules came later still. So grammatical rules are designed to fit around a construct (language) totally dictated by the mob. So when they say 'The rule applies here, and here, but this is an exception' picture some fart in a room tearing out his hair going 'SO CLOSE. SH*T. SO CLOSE.'

sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibm
    I think you'll also find that the majority of people (hackers included) are quite happy with the definition 'One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file' (dictionary.com - which I'll point out, is still only the second definition after 'One who is proficient at using or programming a computer; a computer buff').
    The "original" kind or those described by the masses' definition? The latter is entirely expected - makes them feel 1337. The former, I doubt. I've yet to see one of the original kind accepting the new definition as valid.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm
    I see when people started saying the 'geek' had gained respect as being 'an intelligent person with a certain affinity for technology' all the geeks were cheering, but as soon as the masses put a downward spin on what may have been a complimentary description, people start to sulk. You can't have it both ways.
    This isn't an entirely fair comparison - with geek, the meaning behind the word hasn't changed, only the attitude towards those described as being it.

Good points, though.

Thread Information