Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discrimination

Thanks

Re: Discrimination

True. Yet in the those two examples clear definitions exist for what people mean by those terms, even if those definitions have changed. In the case of 'discrimination' even if the meaning changes to become wholly negative it's still not very useful because someone using the term 'discrimination' would still have to justify that term by highlighting the choices made, and it may or may not turn out to be correct.

It's also sad and frustrating - but admittedly a dynamic of language - that a useful word gets eliminated from the language by failure to maintain its true definition.

My point though, isn't so much about the language in use but rather the concept - that choosing between things related to human beings is being seen as negative.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    True. Yet in the those two examples clear definitions exist for what people mean by those terms, even if those definitions have changed. In the case of 'discrimination' even if the meaning changes to become wholly negative it's still not very useful because someone using the term 'discrimination' would still have to justify that term by highlighting the choices made, and it may or may not turn out to be correct.

It's also sad and frustrating - but admittedly a dynamic of language - that a useful word gets eliminated from the language by failure to maintain its true definition.

My point though, isn't so much about the language in use but rather the concept - that choosing between things related to human beings is being seen as negative.
    you mean politically incorrect

who knows how people really feel , I can tell you when I used buses a lot of bus drivers put me in a position of having to ask all the time for the ramp , in spite of my disability.
    And even when they didnt their obvious annoyance was made clear.

Where they discriminating , or was I ?

Its sticky question with everything , is it the thought or the object , which is causing what and where did it arrive from to lead to that point .

Cause and Effect
    Vicea Versa
    Kill your own Buddha
    and be the Perverser

or to put it another way...

what are 3 noughts
    when divided by dots
    yet aligned to one purpose
    when given no stop ?

m
    Last edited by melon; 13-04-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

McKenna sums up the problems with language when applied and endorsed certain ways

m

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Discrimination as it is popularly used today, particularly in the media/politics has become a catch all term for unfair prejudice (thinking about it so has 'prejudiced'). Rather than it's original intent. I think partly because there often aren't good words in the English language to describe the actions and behaviours we wish to stop or find abhorrent as a society; such as Racism for racial prejudice.

Ultimately discrimination in it's dictionary definition, more common modern usage and actual psychological process is just a tool and like all tools it is not inherently good or bad. I love the knife as an example. I could prepare your food with it or cut your throat. Ultimately the morality or ethical implications of any tool come down to the person wielding it.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    Discrimination as it is popularly used today, particularly in the media/politics has become a catch all term for unfair prejudice (thinking about it so has 'prejudiced'). Rather than it's original intent. I think partly because there often aren't good words in the English language to describe the actions and behaviours we wish to stop or find abhorrent as a society; such as Racism for racial prejudice.

Ultimately discrimination in it's dictionary definition, more common modern usage and actual psychological process is just a tool and like all tools it is not inherently good or bad. I love the knife as an example. I could prepare your food with it or cut your throat. Ultimately the morality or ethical implications of any tool come down to the person wielding it.
    That reminds me of a story ( esp relevant to your location )

m

Thread Information