• Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Affordable Housing

Do you think it's right that new house builds (entire estates) may well have to have a percentage of "Affordable housing" included in the area, to be brought by local authorities and then occupied by immigrants, homeless people or recovering drug addicts. These homes will forced onto the builders and into the community, potentially devaluing the houses around, as they fill with Roma and non English speaking people, with no work and no chance of ever working, legaly, to pay for them?

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    Well speaking as somebody who cant afford to buy a house in their local area, yep its a good idea. People are vetted before they are enetered on to the waiting list, and the majority of these affordable homes are aimed at public sector workers. Housing associations get to deal with people like raised, they wont be accepted in to affordable housing schemes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33
    Do you think it's right that new house builds (entire estates) may well have to have a percentage of "Affordable housing" included in the area, to be brought by local authorities and then occupied by immigrants, homeless people or recovering drug addicts. These homes will forced onto the builders and into the community, potentially devaluing the houses around, as they fill with Roma and non English speaking people, with no work and no chance of ever working, legaly, to pay for them?
    Zak I hope you're playing devil's advocate here?

Affordable housing is already a requirement for pretty much any housing development....and in my opinion the rules on incorporating affordable housing are not stringent enough. Affordable housing is just as likely to be occupied by someone like me, who'se worked full time for the last five years since I left university; I'm still on less than 80% of the national average wage though. My wife was recently made redundant.

The problem in this country is not a lack of jobs; immigrants are simply not coming here and taking them away from English people who want to work. The problem is a lack of homes pure and simple. With the falling birthrate we actually need immigrants to keep our economy going. Roma people are just as intelligent and hardworking as any other immigrant, and anyone who says that gypsies are automatically skyvers just because of their ethnic origin can say it to my fists

Rich :¬)

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Imagine spending £250k on your new home to have the Dingles housed next to you by the local council.

Of course, if the Dingles had paid £250k for their house then they'd have a vested interest in keeping their property viable.

Before anyone starts squealing about "oh, it's ok for you, you have your own place...." When I left the army I was homeless and stayed that way for 8 months poncing off of family until I we finally got housed. Then we weren't prepared to live off of handouts. A fact which aroused jealousies amongst our neighbours (who were quite happy to do that) because we worked hard and moved out of housing association into a new home of our own. Since then we've worked our way up to something we never thought we would own. I'd be seriously p*ssed off if the local council shoved the Dingles in next door on a freebie after that.

Instead of selling off council housing there is a need to replace that which has been sold off. Rather than to shift the emphasis on to private builders. That's just passing the buck. We pay enough in taxes perhaps they should redirect some of the money into housing projects instead of MPs expense accounts.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I used to live on a nice estate, then they built a load of 'affordable housing'. Re-homing of offenders, care in the community, housing trust properties & immigrants.

Within 12 months local crime increased by 72% (local police stats at the time).

Needless to say I moved sharpish.

Coincidence?
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    I used to live on a nice estate, then they built a load of 'affordable housing'. Re-homing of offenders, care in the community, housing trust properties & immigrants.

Coincidence?
    No, I'd say the increase in crime was almost certainly due to the sudden influx of offenders, care in the community, housing trust properties & immigrants, into the local community.

In my opinion of course, I have no proof that this is the case.

Thanks
    Well, I live in a small hick town, well theres 3 side by side... Were surrounded by farms, woods and a river! Needles to say, the farms have been sold, the woods are gone and a seven eleven has been built in the town square! This all happened in the last 4 months! Nothing but giant housing developments as far as the eye can see! However all the surrounding land was historic, but the contractors offered are greedy town hall a new fire house, burro building and recycling center... Boy, I never saw houses built so fast! Our town has tripled in size, and I find myself surrounded by city trash! Well I should explain what I mean by that... City trash as I like to call them is nothing more then a bunch of thugs with spray paint and tattoos, wearing bandanas while they hang outside the newly built seven eleven smoking joints!

This is not the kind of town I want to rais my kids in... (when I have some)

Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    With the falling birthrate we actually need immigrants to keep our economy going.

OMG! You can have all of ours! They come over here and will work for minimue wage and wores of all they work hard for it to! This makes it really hard for a lazy american to get a decent job when all these hispanics and mexicans are running around filling out job aplications! The companies know they dont have to pay them well...
    Last edited by myth; 29-12-2004 at 07:10 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    City trash as I like to call them is nothing more then a bunch of thugs with spray paint and tattoos, wearing bandanas while they hang outside the newly built seven eleven smoking joints!
    American Chavs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD

Coincidence?
    Well, that's a planning failure then. The problem with afordable housing is not the concept itself, but its implementation. The idea used to be that every housing development incorporated some affordable housing, mixed in amongst the more expensive properties. That way you'd get families on a range of incomes living near each other, sharing the same local amenities etc., which should in theory promote social inclusion. What actually happens is that the developers apply to built their estate full of mock tudor luxury 5 bed houses, and the council allows them to fulfil their affordable housing commitment by building a load of cheapo houses and flats somewhere entirely different. That way all the upwardly mobile folk get to enjoy their nice mansions without any poor people spoiling the view, and all the poor people get shipped off to the back of beyond where there's no jobs and nothing to do.

It's not a coincidence that crime went up in your area by 72% at all. The reasons are very clear.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    OMG! You can have all of ours! They come over here and will work for minimue wage and wores of all they work hard for it to! This makes it really hard for a lazy american to get a decent job when all these hispanics and mexicans are running around filling out job aplications! The companies know they dont have to pay them well...
    Hehe. We don't have a shortage of immigrants mate, we turn away tens of thousands a year as it is. They still do the nastiest jobs for the lowest pay though- I work for a government department, and none of the people who empty our rubbish bins and clean our toilets speak English as their first language.

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rave
    That way you'd get families on a range of incomes living near each other, sharing the same local amenities etc., which should in theory promote social inclusion.
    Just to play devils advocate but wouldn't that just highlight differences in social scale. Something that the kids of the well off won't hesitate to point out to the kids of the less well off for starters. Kids can be both wonderfully frank and bluntly cruel. As for inclusion, isn't there a risk of exclusion? With the owners of the mock tudors looking down on the tenants of the affordable house? The concept is fine. How does it work out in practice when you add something as fickle as human nature? It's a pretty good rule of thumb that people like people like themselves.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    I cant afford to move out ANYWHERE near here, house prices are totally insane. One of my mates has just paid £130,000 for a 1 bedroom ground floor flat in a not so nice area, its so small you could bearly swing a cat in the 'lounge'. You simply cant have affordable housing when house prices in general are totally unrealistic.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thread Information