Thread: Auschwitz - Should we allow it to become history?

Rob
    Thanks

Auschwitz - Should we allow it to become history?

I have been following the Memorial Day on BBC Radio and TV. To my surprise, on the news I saw a British reporter interviewing a German reporter, and the general consensus seemed to be that the Germans of that era are gone, and the nation should now be allowed to put their past behind them.

Another point put across, was that all holocausts should be remembered as one. That other nations have committed genecide besides Germany.

Then I listen to Jeremy Vines hour long tribute, where he says that the attrocities endured at the death camps should never be forgotten. He interviewed a survivor, a young girl at the time, who only managed to survive because she played the cello, and ccould therefore amuse the gestapo.

She went on to describe the chambers, and how she would watch people 'walk in as people, and leave as smoke'. She was also asked about the tattoo on her arm, and why she had never removed it. Her reply, "It is not my discrace, I have nothing to be ashamed of." The strength of this woman must be beyond most of our comprehension!

I personally think that the Holocaust should never be forgotten, ever. Yes there have been genocides, but not on the scale or utter depravity that was endured by the Jews (and gypsies, homosexuals, and any other group not fitting with the Nazi vision). The human experiments, the sheer industrialised killing machine should be left as a warning to just how despicable the human psyche can become.

The worry, and probably the reason for the 'leave the past behind' is that the people who can tell us are almost gone. Younger people are growing into their place who, for whatever reason, do not wish to dwell on what really happened. Is this right?

Large Member
    Thanks
    I watched if for a few minutes on ITV, there was somthing rather chilling about the presentor relaying a speech Churchill made about the genocide, no doubt in his enigmatic tones - chilling due to the fact Churchill himself gassed countless Kurdish civilians.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Good topic Rob. I would have replied earlier but I thought it was such an important subject that my response should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    To my surprise, on the news I saw a British reporter interviewing a German reporter, and the general consensus seemed to be that the Germans of that era are gone, and the nation should now be allowed to put their past behind them.

Another point put across, was that all holocausts should be remembered as one. That other nations have committed genecide besides Germany.
    Well....should any German born after, say, 1930 feel any guilt? No, to be honest, just as I don't feel the deaths of the women and children who perished in the hell on earth that was Dresden are a stain on my conscience. Should the Holocaust be downplayed to spare the feelings of the citizens of the country who perpetrated the atrocity 60 years ago? Absolutely not. Genocide continues to this day even knowing the lessons of history- Rwanda, Former Yugoslavia etc. Today Germany has become (with the help of outside aid after WWII) the third richest country in the world- if their citizens have to live with uncomfortable reminders of their past, that's the price they pay for living in one of the top three first world contries IMO.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    I think that all history should be remembered, for its high points and low points - there are always lessons to be learnt, and its important to educate the younger generations. This is why it is so important to get the correct facts from survivors, so it doesnt become abscured into something that it wasnt.

Yes its a terrible thing but it should be remembered, such as WW1, how many survivors are alive from 1917? but yet we still remember it. I think that the History musuem (have forgotten the actual name now) does a great job, as they interviewed my grandpa, and his brother about their roles in WW2 and put it on video/tape and you can request it to listen. This should be done for those in holocaust if it hasnt already as it is an excellent way to keep the facts in the fore on such an emotional subject.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    It happened in the past so the germans of today arent accountable for it but it shouldnt be forgotten, you cant learn from mistakes if u brush them under the carpet and try to pretend they didnt happen...

Thread Information