Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arctic ice sheet melting at alarming rate check here :(

Ravens Nest

Arctic ice sheet melting at alarming rate check here :(

Have a look at this marcomedia flash movie
    use the slider to see difference between 1979-2003 scary

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/...9/30.html#ice:

Thanks
    That is what a typical Western industrialized society called 'progress'. It is very, very short-sighted - Fill up your petrol tanks now and hope you don't live long enough to see the horrible future. To make things even more difficult, the world's largest polluters - that's the 'Western industrialized countries' - are continuously dragging their feet in reducing greenhouse gases. How can people in the 'developing world', who're trying to make a living, listen to the industrialized world's pleas to conserve the rain forests and other resources when we're not doing our part?
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    But George Bush says it is ok lads global warming is a myth, ask Saracen he will be able to back up the big man!

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Lots of people think global warming is a myth. Check out what the Association of British Drivers think of global warming...

http://www.abd.org.uk/

So it's necessary to address these points, to demonstrate the lack of any objective evidence to sustain the green myths about alleged symptoms of man-made global warming, and to establish the genuine immutable causes of natural climate change.
    Shocking...
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    The temperature of the planet fluctuates over time. Also, the earth's temperature was higher when the dinosaurs were knocking about and we've had a few ice ages since then......

Thanks
    Yes, I have to agree with that. However, we're not dinosaurs and we're not cold blooded animals, so higher planet-wide temperature is not a necessary feature for ensure our survival.

However, an increase to global temperature which in turn will trigger melting of Artic and Antarctic ice sheets which in turn will raise sea level which in turn will dramatically changes global climate patterns (not to say significantly reduces the total area of agricultural land and shore-based habitable areas); which in turn upset the planet's eco-systems which in turn will have a major effect on most, if not all, living things.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    The temperature of the planet fluctuates over time. Also, the earth's temperature was higher when the dinosaurs were knocking about and we've had a few ice ages since then......
    Are you suggesting that the ABD are correct?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    Are you suggesting that the ABD are correct?

I didn't read the ABD website, but if they agree with what I said, then, in that part, yes.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    You didn't really state a position on global warming in your post. What is your position on global warming with respect to modern human activities such as internal combustion engines, jet planes etc?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    You didn't really state a position on global warming in your post. What is your position on global warming with respect to modern human activities such as internal combustion engines, jet planes etc?

Don't know exactly. I'm not sure that we have as much effect on the temperature of the planet as is sometimes made out and this is what I was illustrating with the fact that the temperature of the planet has been higher in the past and has recovered from it........

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Do you have any links regarding that?

Are you hesitant to automatically assume that "the scientists" are correct?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Do you have any links regarding that?

Are you hesitant to automatically assume that "the scientists" are correct?
    I don't automatically subscribe to scientific findings, on the basis that they could be incorrect and think it is very naive to do so.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    I don't automatically subscribe to scientific findings, on the basis that they could be incorrect and think it is very naive to do so.
    I think that's a very good position to take, but how about when (in this case) there is an overwhelming weight of evidence?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    I think that's a very good position to take, but how about when (in this case) there is an overwhelming weight of evidence?

Such as?

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    What do you mean by the phrase "has recovered from it"? I think it is accepted scientific opinion that the core of the earth was hotter billions of years ago and has been cooling, but in terms of the climate, I dont see the link?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information