Thread: Trying to get a news discussion site off the ground

Goat Boy
    Thanks

Trying to get a news discussion site off the ground

Not sure if this is against the rules (if it is Saracen, I apologise, please move/delete as you see fit) but here goes.

I am trying to get a slashdot style news portal up and running. The idea is to create a place where news stories that maybe deserve a bit more publicity can be read about and discussed. The content will be similar to the sort of stuff we discuss here and elsewhere on Hexus.

I am NOT trying to solicit users from Question Time or Hexus. The idea of the site is not really as a discussion forum, but more as a way for peeps to get more independent news and discuss it with other likeminded (or not so likeminded!) people.

The URL for the time being is:

http://www.dabeeeenster.com/openews

We are still trying to think up a decent name and then buy a domain. Any ideas, please sign up on the site and suggest some!

Thanks,
    Ben
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Dabeeeenster, it seems like you want your favourite sources of news on one site, so you can use it quickly and efficiently in QT as backup for your argument.

You claim these sources are 'independent', but I am beginning to believe that you use articles that back up your argument only, without always looking at the entire picture and articles that come at the argument from a different angle.

I have seen you disregard posts from others in the past because their source was 'The Sun' or another 'crap' source and that source disagrees with you.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    I have never disregarded the Sun. I dont recall the last time someone posted a quote from the Sun on here.

I want the site to publish all range of stories. The reason it has it's current stories on there is because no-one has offered any different news sources.

Here would be a good opportunity to not moan and do something constructive
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

herbalist
    Thanks
    this is a really good idea mate. its always good to hear and give different opinions and views on current affairs, stops people getting stuck with a single-track, narrow-minded attitude...cough..Slick...cough..

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Ai dont disregard the Sun!! When you have finished looking at the boobies and joining the dots in between beating up on asylum seekers, you will find that it can actually be useful if you run out of bog roll!!
    Check this out too Beenster http://www.projectcensored.org/
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Sexiest Hexus user? quite possibly Russ's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Russ's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple Logic Board
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.8GHZ 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5750
      • Case:
      • iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X Snow Leopard
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iMac
      • Internet:
      • 2mb(on a good day)
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    I have seen you disregard posts from others in the past because their source was 'The Sun' or another 'crap' source and that source disagrees with you.
    I was reading sun not so long ago, they told me that SARS came from space... on a comet... then particles f it fell on top of everest.. the wind then swept them to china and canada..

SUN = Genius's (comical ones i mean)
    Gamertag - Russonf (xbox and ps3)

Thanks
    Originally posted by Punky
    this is a really good idea mate. its always good to hear and give different opinions and views on current affairs, stops people getting stuck with a single-track, narrow-minded attitude...cough..Slick...cough..
    Bit harsh there m8, he's intitled to his views and opinions, from what ive read in the legalise canabis thread, he has made some valid points. Calling this country a "nanny state" well that seems kinda narrowminded to me

Thread Information